8/7 GT: Sox @ Rangers - Giolito vs. Howard (135pmCT)

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Do we make Moncada a defensive replacement for Burger?  Honestly.  Can we live with more atrocious defense on the infield?  What do we do?

Man....I don't know what we  do, TBH. We're in a crappy situation with 3rd base right now, performance AND financially.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Pirates, Angels, Cubs of recent vintage, DBacks.  Sox are definitely in that bottom tier with these teams.   

Rockies, Royals, & Reds are also on the list of teams I wouldn't swap ownership/coaching/front office with it. It could be worse being a Sox fan... barely.

• Like 1

Do we make Moncada a defensive replacement for Burger?  Honestly.  Can we live with more atrocious defense on the infield?  What do we do?

If Burger was a better hitter, you might consider it, but he is poor defensively and only hits lefties.  I guess you could try Sosa at 3rd.  He’s a good defender over there, but they owe Moncada like $50 million. It would be wise to try and fix him.

• Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I keep thinking he's going to recover. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

Man....I don't know what we  do, TBH. We're in a crappy situation with 3rd base right now, performance AND financially.

No one really knows, but I would be shocked if Moncada is anywhere close to this bad next year, in 2024, etc. The worst he's been as a hitter prior to this year, even very early in his career, was slightly below average. Which isn't the end of the world considering how good he is on defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

No one really knows, but I would be shocked if Moncada is anywhere close to this bad next year, in 2024, etc. The worst he's been as a hitter prior to this year, even very early in his career, was slightly below average. Which isn't the end of the world considering how good he is on defense.

I keep thinking he's hurt, but he doesn't look hurt in the field. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We're running out of easy opponents. We really need to go at least 5-2 in the next week if we want a shot at the division. 

Back to School. Running out of time. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We're running out of easy opponents. We really need to go at least 5-2 in the next week if we want a shot at the division. 

I don't think there are any easy opponents for the White Sox.  They played well today, except for the late Pollock brain cramp on the bases. Would like to see Giolito go more than five innings next start.

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I keep thinking he's hurt, but he doesn't look hurt in the field. 

If I had to guess ( and I do ),it's still lingering doubts or pain because of the oblique injury. In the field he doesn't have to do a lot of twisting. Every swing puts a lot of stress on your core when you're body is acting like a cork screw .

• Like 1

Just now, Highland said:

I don't think there are any easy opponents for the White Sox.  They played well today, except for the late Pollock brain cramp on the bases. Would like to see Giolito go more than five innings next start.

That's the thing with this team. Last year's team did just ok against good teams but they cleaned up against the bad ones. The Sox went 6-1 against the Rangers last year. They went 7-0 against the Orioles. Those 2 teams are both better this year, but I'm not sure they're good enough to go 7-4 against us this year so far. 

2 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

He’s just completely lost at the plate (both sides). The good news is he almost has to get hot at some point. The bad news - that’s not the way the season has gone.

I could see a few guys getting hot in September. I'm just hoping it's not too late.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If I had to guess ( and I do ),it's still lingering doubts or pain because of the oblique injury. In the field he doesn't have to do a lot of twisting. Every swing puts a lot of stress on your core when you're body is acting like a cork screw .

That's as good an explanation as I've heard. I wonder if he feels better on one side of the plate over the other. 

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

They have the third easiest schedule til end of season. 

Mostly cause they play the Tigers and Royals 7 times this next week. After next week, the Sox only have 10 games left against those 2 teams. 

27 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Rockies, Royals, & Reds are also on the list of teams I wouldn't swap ownership/coaching/front office with it. It could be worse being a Sox fan... barely.

Royals ownership showed that they have guys in place who can actually rebuild and compete for championships. They were a single away from back to back titles. This dickhead here has not

27 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Ooof, yeah, Reds might be the least enviable franchise in MLB.  KC is a mess but they’ve at least had some recent success.  Rockies & Royals are definitely down there somewhere too.  

Ooof, yeah, Reds might be the least enviable franchise in MLB.  KC is a mess but they’ve at least had some recent success.  Rockies & Royals are definitely down there somewhere too.  

I would argue the Pirates are.

34 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I keep thinking he's going to recover. 

I’m still holding out hope, but damn is it hard to watch.  I’d have more faith in a healthy org helping him find his previous form.  Unfortunately, he plays for the Chicago White Sox. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 1