8/13 Gamethread: Tigers @ Sox, Manning v. Giolito

soxfan49

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I mean what pitcher wouldn't be pissed? That's a fairly routine catch for a ML outfielder and Eloy didn't even come close. 

Lucas got screwed that inning by the umpire and Eloy. 

If you don’t like the defense strike someone out then.  He should’ve called it but the guy hit it 370 feet the opposite way so he wasn’t exactly fooled

Just now, fathom said:

this is just not a good pitcher.  Keeps getting ahead and then missing too much.  Really wish they’d ditch the slider for the curve 

I could be wrong but when Lucas was successful he was heavy fastall/change up. It seems to be fastball/slider this year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I was looking at what the biggest difference between the last 3 years and this year for Giolito is. It's his fastball. He had a lot more carry on it the last 3 years vs this year. It makes everything else easier for hitters to read and react to. 

He really should be non-tendered and the money spent on a better pitcher, but we know they won’t do that.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I was looking at what the biggest difference between the last 3 years and this year for Giolito is. It's his fastball. He had a lot more carry on it the last 3 years vs this year. It makes everything else easier for hitters to read and react to. 

Lack of sticky stuff = less carry. If you don't have high velo like Lucas, late movement is the only way you can strike guys out on the pitch consistently.