McGuire Throws Shade at Sox Clubhouse

CWSpalehoseCWS

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy is a fringe major leaguer. He should be careful. Popping off about old teams won't give fringe players more opportunity. The guy apparently said nothing when he was here. Why? 

I know some people are eager for anyone to rip the White Sox. So far, the players who have ripped them, McGuire and Keuchel, were 2 players who didn't help at all when it came to winning, and were part of the problem. Now it's really interesting to hear what they say? Who cares what they say? I know the White Sox deserve a ripping, and change is needed. But these idiots shouldn't be the ones with their mouths going.

Popping off? Ripping? Are we reading the same quote?

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty pathetic the Red Sox were trading away at least 3 pieces at the deadline but still seem more like they want to win...and with all the forward-looking uncertainty about Sale Bogaerts Eovaldi Martinez Verdugo, etc.

Abreu

Cueto

Keuchel

McGuire

Who else has questioned team/individual work ethic besides Stone?

The entire team! Not only did we have this confirmed by Abreu, Cueto, Keuchel and McGuire, who were in that clubhouse, but we also saw it first hand with the infamous video of the lethargic and bored team response that the players gave TA, when it was announced he was selected as an All-Star starter.

37 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy is a fringe major leaguer. He should be careful. Popping off about old teams won't give fringe players more opportunity. The guy apparently said nothing when he was here. Why? 

I know some people are eager for anyone to rip the White Sox. So far, the players who have ripped them, McGuire and Keuchel, were 2 players who didn't help at all when it came to winning, and were part of the problem. Now it's really interesting to hear what they say? Who cares what they say? I know the White Sox deserve a ripping, and change is needed. But these idiots shouldn't be the ones with their mouths going.

Curious as to how McGuire was "part of the problem."

He didn't hit much, but wasn't expected to hit much. He called a good game from behind the plate and provided really good defense.

He did really well for his role and expectations.

Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb trees.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Curious as to how McGuire was "part of the problem."

He didn't hit much, but wasn't expected to hit much. He called a good game from behind the plate and provided really good defense.

He did really well for his role and expectations.

Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb trees.

He couldn't stick on the 2022 White Sox, a team that you want everyone to rip apart, as a back up catcher. That says enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He couldn't stick on the 2022 White Sox, a team that you want everyone to rip apart, as a back up catcher. That says enough.

...or he became expendable because Zavala showed improvement.

Him getting traded was a result of Zavala's improvement - not McGuire's lack of production.

And can you let me know where I said people should rip apart the team?

• Like 1

Hmm, we all wanted Renteria fired and got our wish. Does anyone recall hearing comments from the players, media or fans saying the Sox weren't having fun, a toxic clubhouse and a team not playing with passion and fire? In fact, many baseball experts across the nation thought the Sox clubhouse atmosphere and culture was one of the best if not best!

Hmm, fast forward two years and what changed? Could it be the arrogant and senile owner made a colossal mistake on his manager choice? Nah, that was his good buddy, who was a drunk 77 year old and DUI HOF'er. Why wouldn't that work?

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Him getting traded was a result of Zavala's improvement - not McGuire's lack of production.

The couldn't stick with the Sox comment Dick made is also inaccurate. The Sox couldn't carry 3 catchers so either McGuire or Zavala had to go because both were out of options so one of them would've had to been DFA'd. McGuire was probably worth more in a trade than Zavala because of his defense but since he hit LH and Grandal was staying no matter what to get the LH catcher AB's , McGuire was the one traded. Hahn actually did well to get a useful BP piece for him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Generally, teams what to keep their useful players. They exposed Zavala to waivers eariler this year. No one claimed him. Now they would rather have him than McGuire. The Blue Jays would rather have Collins than McGuire. Soon, the Red Sox will rather have another below average catcher than McGuire.

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The couldn't stick with the Sox comment Dick made is also inaccurate. The Sox couldn't carry 3 catchers so either McGuire or Zavala had to go because both were out of options so one of them would've had to been DFA'd. McGuire was probably worth more in a trade than Zavala because of his defense but since he hit LH and Grandal was staying no matter what to get the LH catcher AB's , McGuire was the one traded. Hahn actually did well to get a useful BP piece for him.

How can it not be accurate? He couldn't beat out Zavala.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Generally, teams what to keep their useful players. They exposed Zavala to waivers eariler this year. No one claimed him. Now they would rather have him than McGuire. The Blue Jays would rather have Collins than McGuire. Soon, the Red Sox will rather have another below average catcher than McGuire.

Probably will just end up bring back Christian Vasquez to the Red Sox as he hits FA.

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

At this point we've had enough players comment to show that our clubhouse must be a disaster.  Keuchel, McGuire, and to extents Cueto, and Vaughn

I think it’s less of the the clubhouse being a disaster as opposed to some of the more talented players on the roster just not being the passionate type. I have a hard time figuring out who on this team would really lead to clubhouse issues. Pollock? Liam? I just don’t see it. But lack of fire and passion to win? Oh yeah, there’s plenty of that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, or if two players are seen as being of equal value, you trade away the one that the other team sees more value in.

The bottom line is that he's a backup catcher who did a serviceable job. He would still have a job with the White Sox if Zavala didn't improve so much. Doesn't mean he sucks.

5 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yes, or if two players are seen as being of equal value, you trade away the one that the other team sees more value in.

The bottom line is that he's a backup catcher who did a serviceable job. He would still have a job with the White Sox if Zavala didn't improve so much. Doesn't mean he sucks.

He's not good enough to be on the team he apparently has a problem with. Same with Keuchel.

The guy is apparently happier playing out the string, than playing for a team that at least has a shot at the playoffs. What does that say about Spanky?

Edited by Dick Allen

Maybe the bad clubhouse atmosphere will help. This team might have a chip the rest of the way to prove people wrong and all that sports cliche jazz.

Anybody else falling in love with Abreu again? This guy is quietly raking again. Over .300 for the traditional non-stat people. Multi hit games common. Love me some Abreu.

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy is apparently happier playing out the string, than playing for a team that at least has a shot at the playoffs. What does that say about Spanky?

Here's what I think it says about him: That he got traded to a new team and dropped some cliché lines about being happy to be on his new team, as literally almost every single professional athlete does when they get traded.

What a wild hill to die on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

The entire team! Not only did we have this confirmed by Abreu, Cueto, Keuchel and McGuire, who were in that clubhouse, but we also saw it first hand with the infamous video of the lethargic and bored team response that the players gave TA, when it was announced he was selected as an All-Star starter.

I think we would have to go and rehash what exactly was said by who. Keuchel talked a lot. Can't remember if he ever questioned work ethic. Plus comments about lack of fire from Cueto may just be character traits in some people.

But in sports you're supposed to be passionate and when around a bunch of guys screaming and yelling and showing fire even quiet people can get caught up in it. So if Cueto thinks he isn't seeing enough of it that says something about the team as a whole because once that fire is burning it's infectious.

There's something to be said about being a quiet professional who just goes about his business and getting the job done. However, sports isn't like that. The old days are over about showboating , showing passion or playing like an automaton. But even in the old days coaches and players fire up their teams with rah rah speeches, raised voices about kicking ass and all that.

Giolito also said Cueto made some good points in a recent Podcast with Garfien.

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Maybe the bad clubhouse atmosphere will help. This team might have a chip the rest of the way to prove people wrong and all that sports cliche jazz.

Anybody else falling in love with Abreu again? This guy is quietly raking again. Over .300 for the traditional non-stat people. Multi hit games common. Love me some Abreu.

What does being a "non-stat" person mean? 

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's not good enough to be on the team he apparently has a problem with. Same with Keuchel.

Who said he's "happier playing out the string?" Heck - show me a quote where McGuire showed discontent with the White Sox and that he's happier playing for the Red Sox.

Heck - show me where he actually talked about the White Sox's clubhouse or the White Sox in general after the trade.