Are there any shortstops available?

joemg311

Are there any mlb experienced veteran shortstops out there we can still trade for that have been in the minors and not on the 40 man all year? Just an mlb average infielder could be a big upgrade/help for this team over the next month. I'm surprised they never got a guy like this for AAA this year like Ryan Goins/Tim Beckham in the past. Did they just figure Romy Gonzalez was that dude? Hopefully Sosa is a guy, but for once I wish we had a surefire meh backup option.

Didi Gregorious is out there I guess. The problem with Sosa is that he looks clueless at the plate so far and he's been a butcher in the field. He's just not ready. I honestly would rather have Romy get playing time instead of signing Didi though. 

• Like 2

mlb is tough, let alone for a rookie. why the colas hype, while fun, isn't very cut and dry either. sure there are some guys who come out of the gate hot (michael harris, vaughn on braves) from AA, but mostly it's tough. I think the Sox have to just ride with whatever they choose ... one guy needs the 5 games a week. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, joemg311 said:

Are there any mlb experienced veteran shortstops out there we can still trade for that have been in the minors and not on the 40 man all year? Just an mlb average infielder could be a big upgrade/help for this team over the next month. I'm surprised they never got a guy like this for AAA this year like Ryan Goins/Tim Beckham in the past. Did they just figure Romy Gonzalez was that dude? Hopefully Sosa is a guy, but for once I wish we had a surefire meh backup option.

Average?  No way.  The middle infield is to valuable for an average guy to be laying around doing nothing.  There aren't enough average IF's to go around.  There are a few field/no hit types laying around as others have mentioned.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

Yolmer Sanchez is being dfa'd today.  He's not hitting all but is a great fielder at least.  He might do better back at home

I'd definitely put in a claim on Yolmer. Even if he's not better than Sosa, he pushes Sosa back down to AAA where he can play every day and continue to develop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, he gone. said:

villar could be worth exploring. can you do minor league swaps still in august? i thought you could ... he caught on with the mariners after angels cut him. 

I believe you can only still trade for guys that were never played at the mlb level this year and also were never added to a teams 40 man roster.

2 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

Yolmer Sanchez is being dfa'd today.  He's not hitting all but is a great fielder at least.  He might do better back at home

I don't think he's played much Shortshop in his career eh?

If we're going to abandon hitting for a solid fielder we gotta make sure it's actually a solid fielder.

This seems more urgent as Leury Garcia has looked like he's dealing with some kind of injury lately.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I will be shocked if Andrus isn’t a White Sox before the weekend

He's been about as good as Josh Harrison offensively this year. You absolutely take that since he's actually decent on defense at SS. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Can I interest you in a used Elvis Andrus

Any background on why Andrus was released? He's not having a bad season by any means. Basically a league average hitter for his position and is above average against left handed pitching. July was his best month of 2022 as far as OPS goes.

This seems like a no brainer for the Sox.

EDIT: Sounds like it may have been due to his option potentially vesting if the A's kept him around. A's being cheap could work to our benefit.

Edited by KrankinSox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Any background on why Andrus was released? He's not having a bad season by any means. Basically a league average hitter for his position and is above average against left handed hitting. July was his best month of 2022 as far as OPS goes.

This seems like a no brainer for the Sox.

Vesting 15 million dollar option for next year if he gets enough plate appearances, but the article says that does not transfer to a new team.

• Like 2