Are there any shortstops available?

joemg311

7 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Any background on why Andrus was released? He's not having a bad season by any means. Basically a league average hitter for his position and is above average against left handed pitching. July was his best month of 2022 as far as OPS goes.

This seems like a no brainer for the Sox.

EDIT: Sounds like it may have been due to his option potentially vesting if the A's kept him around. A's being cheap could work to our benefit.

How do vesting options work in this case, like is it null if released and signs on with another team (us)? Or would we then be on the hook if the option hits?

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

How do vesting options work in this case, like is it null if released and signs on with another team (us)? Or would we then be on the hook if the option hits?

If he signs a separate contract his old contract no longer applies. Keuchel's vesting option was void when we DFA'd him and nobody picked his contract up on waivers. His new contracts with the Diamondbacks and Rangers have nothing to do with the contract he signed with us in 2019. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

My understanding is that if he is claimed on waivers, then the option still exists. If he clears waivers, then he is eligible to sign with any team and the option would be wiped out.

9 minutes ago, joemg311 said:

Vesting 15 million dollar option for next year if he gets enough plate appearances, but the article says that does not transfer to a new team.

Honestly I'd get him in and see if he is open to a new deal. I'd sign him for 2 years 20 million. Then you cut Leury and improve the team by 2 wins next year.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'd definitely put in a claim on Yolmer. Even if he's not better than Sosa, he pushes Sosa back down to AAA where he can play every day and continue to develop.

Yolmer knows the ropes here and would bat cleanup for Tony. Done.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Andrus is the guy they need until TA comes back. He sucks, but less than what they put out there now, and less than whatever else they could put together. The guy actually has a decent WAR.

Which means he should be signing with the Padres any day now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which means he should be signing with the Padres any day now.

Thankfully Ha-Seong Kim has actually been pretty good this year. The Sox are easily the biggest no brainer for Andrus. Andrus isn't an upgrade over IKF for the Yankees and he wouldn't get the kind of playing time he would would with the Sox on any other contending team. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Thankfully Ha-Seong Kim has actually been pretty good this year. The Sox are easily the biggest no brainer for Andrus. Andrus isn't an upgrade over IKF for the Yankees and he wouldn't get the kind of playing time he would would with the Sox on any other contending team. 

Seems like the most obvious move possible 

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It should absolutely be a no brainer, but since when has that been how we have done business?

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

See page 1 of thread

Ha had to make me work. Figures when I don't read the whole thread it always comes back to bite me.

I was too busy thinking he would be a legit pickup and checking his stats instead of reading the thread. 

Since July 17 he's 21 for 73  which is .288 and also has a 1.6 fWar on the season.

Plus Elvis Night is on Aug.26 at home so sounds perfect !