8/18 Finale vs. Astros (Giolito v. Garcia RHP) 1:10 PM

bmags

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Smart FOs never assume that on whole the squad will play to their projections. They work night and day to cover worst case scenarios because this is real life, not a projection. The Sox just assumed Eloy would put up 5 WAR, Moncada would stay healthy, Robert was a 7 WAR MVP and so on and on and on. 

Well guess what -- if they had planned for a scenario like this they'd still be in a great position. But, a failure to plan results in failure usually.

I don't really agreee this. There are so many guys who have punched below their weight this season. Lynn, Giolito, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Grandal, Kelly, that there's not much they could have done to plan for it. They could still have planned better and been in first place in the AL Central and on pace for 86-87 wins if that's your goal fine, but I wouldn't call that "being in great position" when that's still straight into the wild card round or even bounced into 2nd place if Cleveland gets hot for the last week of the season while the White Sox are playing the Twins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Smart FOs never assume that on whole the squad will play to their projections. They work night and day to cover worst case scenarios because this is real life, not a projection. The Sox just assumed Eloy would put up 5 WAR, Moncada would stay healthy, Robert was a 7 WAR MVP and so on and on and on. 

Well guess what -- if they had planned for a scenario like this they'd still be in a great position. But, a failure to plan results in failure usually.

I think we can all agree that the Sox ended up with much bigger issues this season than the rags they threw out there to cover RF and 2B.  Even with the realistic options which were out there this off-season. 

The goal was to win 95+ games and compete for a trip to the World Series.  Lamenting that we are going to lose an 85 win division doesn't really solve the big picture .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have no idea where or how they're going to cut payroll. 

It would start with trading some of their expensive relievers and letting Gio and Abreu walk.

They should treat Grandal as the backup catcher next year. Maybe they get a bit of a bounce back when he's only playing 75 games.  

He’s been a split catcher his entire tenure here. 29 GMs saw that in 2019. Just too hard for catchers to excel in their 30s.

One can always point out a few outliers, but 99% of MLB catchers are backups or out of the game into their 30s. His high workload prior to the Sox only wore him down more.

150 starts at catcher, 300 White Sox games heading into today.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

To borrow and old JR line, anyone who thinks this team can catch Cleveland is crazy  

Pretty sure they felt that way internally at the deadline, just decided to not run fans faces in it like Jerry did 25 years ago. Explains why they did nothing beyond a minor backup catcher for LH reliever trade at low salaries.

My favorite part about this series was the delusional posters who after two games were like “You know what we’re actually a bad match up for the Astros if we see them in the postseason”

like get the fuck outta here

• Fire 1