8/18 Finale vs. Astros (Giolito v. Garcia RHP) 1:10 PM

bmags

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Remember when Merkin said that the Sox were in business when they were losing 12-3 and had the bases loaded with no outs? Good times folks!

Don’t worry - he’s allowed to be positive since being positive isn’t being negative. 😆

Just now, RibbieRubarb said:

I’d rather have my announcers possess a semblance of positivity with the team instead of the dark, abyss of despair that seeps from this forum anyday.

As a broadcaster myself I can see your point of view but I also subscribe, and this is how I call a game, that you lay the facts out for the fans, especially if you think they are knowledgeable (and I think Sox fans are), they want the truth as painful as that can be. Again just my opinion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As a broadcaster myself I can see your point of view but I also subscribe, and this is how I call a game, that you lay the facts out for the fans, especially if you think they are knowledgeable (and I think Sox fans are), they want the truth as painful as that can be. Again just my opinion.  

Also there’s just not much to be positive about this team currently. 

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

How’s that come back looking now Stone?

The bizarre think about Stone this year is that on Twitter literally any Sox fan who is upset or disagrees with him is/was called a "whiner" and usually blocked. Stone also earlier this year told fans to "enjoy the ride..."

Yet at times on the broadcast he has called out players especially for not hustling "I guess husting is an option..." yet will not say anything negative about either JR or TLR.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The bizarre think about Stone this year is that on Twitter literally any Sox fan who is upset or disagrees with him is/was called a "whiner" and usually blocked. Stone also earlier this year told fans to "enjoy the ride..."

Yet at times on the broadcast he has called out players especially for not hustling "I guess husting is an option..." yet will not say anything negative about either JR or TLR.

Yuppers. Pot meet kettle.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I generally like Stone as an announcer but his attitude towards fans on twitter is as bad as Don Cooper used to be on The Score.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

What do you broadcast? I is ignorant.

I was in TV sports for 14 years in three different markets. Now I'm one of the play by play broadcasters for Idaho State University, they are part of the Big Sky Conference. Have been doing it on a regular basis since 2008. Have broadcast volleyball, football, men's and women's basketball and softball. Also worked for CBS in 2001 at the Boise Regional.

Originally from Chicago, went to Brother Rice high school and the University of Kentucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

I generally like Stone as an announcer but his attitude towards fans on twitter is as bad as Don Cooper used to be on The Score.

Unfortunately historically it hasn't been just Stone.

Over the years Kenny Williams, Rick Hahn (remember this off-season when he commented on Sox fans being upset about the lack of significant signings?), even Chuck Garfein and Ozzie have taken their shots in addition to Cooper who did it regularly on his radio show and in the newspapers.

Speaking of Ozzie, remember this:

Speaking about Sox fans, they can...‘‘Turn off their TVs and stop watching the game if they don’t like the [bleep]ing lineup’’ and another in May 2011 where he claimed Sox fans would not remember him “As soon as you leave the ballpark, they don’t care about you. They don’t. The monuments, the statues…they pee on them when they get drunk.”

I've always felt it was bad business to insult the paying customers even if you honestly feel they are wrong. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just like Harry and Jimmy used to do.

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Just like Harry and Jimmy used to do.

Harry was actually a mentor to me, first met him in 1971 and we stayed in touch over the years. The only thing about Harry and Jimmy (and I had a long interview with Jimmy before he died) was they sometimes made things personal. That I don't think is useful.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Over the years Kenny Williams, Rick Hahn (remember this off-season when he commented on Sox fans being upset about the lack of significant signings?), even Chuck Garfein and Ozzie have taken their shots in addition to Cooper who did it regularly on his radio show and in the newspapers.

Speaking about Sox fans, they can...‘‘Turn off their TVs and stop watching the game if they don’t like the [bleep]ing lineup’’ and another in May 2011 where he claimed Sox fans would not remember him “As soon as you leave the ballpark, they don’t care about you. They don’t. The monuments, the statues…they pee on them when they get drunk.”

Ozzie says a lot of obnoxious stuff and I vowed to never forgive him for the way he quit on the team before going to the Marlins, but damnit I still like him.  F*&%ing World Series.

I can also guarantee that if Sox fans saw someone urinating on any of the statues, they would be in for a royal beat down.

Edited by wegner

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I've always felt it was bad business to insult the paying customers even if you honestly feel they are wrong. 

That's hilarious. They need to rehire him

Using position players as pitchers at the end of a blowout is bullshit.  It really urinates me.  Harrison pitching the 9th is perfect example.  Customers paid big league prices to watch MLB professionals play the game.  That does not include an over the hill second sacker to come in and pitch the 9th and give up another 4 runs or so.  They have a 13 man pitching staff, which includes 5 starters.  Use one of the other 8 pitchers.  

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Using position players as pitchers at the end of a blowout is bullshit.  It really urinates me.  Harrison pitching the 9th is perfect example.  Customers paid big league prices to watch MLB professionals play the game.  That does not include an over the hill second sacker to come in and pitch the 9th and give up another 4 runs or so.  They have a 13 man pitching staff, which includes 5 starters.  Use one of the other 8 pitchers.  

I agree with this. Using a position player only prolongs a very bad game. It's really a joke. The Astros were barely trying, and they scored four.  They might still be up even they really wanted to make an effort.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I honestly think quite the opposite. This game was over anyway. Watching a position player is mildly entertaining in an otherwise shit stain of a game. Wasting an arm that could be used tomorrow would have been a travesty at that point.

I do like the idea of a team getting 3 mercy rules per season tho. Obviously would suck for the fans in attendance but would be an interesting add in the future imo. Would save bullpens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I honestly think quite the opposite. This game was over anyway. Watching a position player is mildly entertaining in an otherwise shit stain of a game. Wasting an arm that could be used tomorrow would have been a travesty at that point.

I do like the idea of a team getting 3 mercy rules per season tho. Obviously would suck for the fans in attendance but would be an interesting add in the future imo. Would save bullpens.

I liked it more when position players actually tried on the mound. The 50 mph curveballs is boring.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Stone won't say anything bad about JR or TLR because this is his last year on his TV contract. If he upsets JR he won't be back here next year. At his age i don't think anybody else would hire him.

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Stone won't say anything bad about JR or TLR because this is his last year on his TV contract. If he upsets JR he won't be back here next year. At his age i don't think anybody else would hire him.

With the money he's made over the years including his outside restaurant investments, I don't think money is a concern to him. And given his expertise, he's one of the best analysts in the game, I think other clubs would definitely have interest although his age could be a limiting factor. 

• Like 3