Top 3 Scariest Horror Movies you've seen

RibbieRubarb

Today's horror films just don't have the edge anymore...

They feel the need to mix comedy in or give the bad guy "one-liners"

So..let's talk about HORROR films

Flat out...we are going to give you nightmares, not laughs.

Disturb you, not just gross you out.

Cover your eyes...is it over yet?!?!

Those movies that still give you the shivers...

For me, those films are:

1.Dawn of the Dead

Relentless horror and gore. Truly terrifying.

2.The Exorcist

Disturbing, scary and unsettling

3.Halloween

The original "slasher" movie that so many have copied.

It took the horror from remote places and put it on our suburban streets.

How about you guys and gals...

#3. Amityville Horror- Don't really know why, maybe cuz I haven't seen it in years since I was a lil' boy.

#2. Hellraiser- The original, just a damned disturbing movie to me, and there isn't much that bothers me on movies.

#1. Halloween- The original, the best, the one. I love this movie, and have seem it far too many times to count. 1978, yeah, its old, but I'll be damned if it isnt still a scary movie to those that haven't seen it.

"I shot him 6 times...SIX TIMES!!!!"

You hit two of my three picks...

1) The Exorcist is still easily the most frightening thing ever put on film. My wife still won't watch it. In high school one summer, my friends and I all decided that we would all take turns staying alone in one of the guys family's old, creaky house and watch The Excorcist while everyone alse went out for the night. To a man, we were all white as sheets when we caught up with each other later that evening.

2) Halloween was a great film, ironic in ushering in the slasher gore-fest genre when there was actually so little graphic gore in the film. And Y chromasome or not (urban legend?), Jamie Lee Curtis was a tall drink of water back in the day.

3) Alien. Maybe it's technically Sci-fi, but man that's a great horror film. Actually follows a classic gothic horror formula much as Dracula does -- the lone damsel in distress is pursued by a dark and sinister egent of evil, albiet an alien xenomorph in this case.

These movies get the K man's seal of approval:

1. Suspiria.

Really not a well known movie in America but is scary as s***. It was made in the late 70s but still can hold up to todays standards. It also has a great soundtrack....

2. The Changeling

Great, old fashioned ghost story. Like Suspiria it really builds great suspense throughtout the movie.

3. Pet Semetary

This might be a surprise for some of you who've seen it. Maybe its the whole concept of Gage (the young boy) being killed at the beginning and then coming back later in the film.......but its genuinely scary.

ESPECIALLY the scene where the mom has a dream of her aunt (?) who she took care of while sick. It ranks up there with the theme music to the Shining and the last 10 minutes of Carrie.

1) The Exorcist

I always see people mention Exorcist as one of the scariest movies of all time. I enjoyed the movie but was never really freightened by it. Dont understand how the devil just all of the sudden showed up in the attic of someone living in Georgetown. The beginning part in Egypt didnt really explain it.

Though, if I was in an old house watching it by myself it would scare me too. :ph34r:

1. The Shining

2. The Shining

3. The Shining

All of the above is the Kubrick film with Jack Nicholson because that is the only movie i have ever seen that i find in the least bit frightening. I have seen it hundreds of times and i still get chills when the kid is riding his big wheels down the hotel hallways.

Though if i gotta put something else down id say the silent hill video games, theyre practically movies and they put me in cold sweats.

has anyone ever seen the Salem's Lot miniseries that was made in like 1979?

That's one of the scariest movies I've seen.

Lance "James at 15/16" Kerwin notwithstanding, Salem's Lot was great. Along with the Shining, it was probbably the best Stephen King adaptation.

Lance "James at 15/16" Kerwin notwithstanding, Salem's Lot was great. Along with the Shining, it was probbably the best Stephen King adaptation.

Yeh Kerwin is kind of a dead fish, but I don't mind him too much overall. The scenes with the kids floating outside the window, scratching the glass are great.

They're remaking it with Rob Lowe as Ben and Donald Sutherland as Straker. I don't think it'll top the first one but I'll be interested nonetheless.

That's one of my mom's favorites. She's been trying to find a copy of that (if it is even available). She also liked the 'Shining' mini-series with Steven Weber (I think that's his name).

That's one of my mom's favorites. She's been trying to find a copy of that (if it is even available). She also liked the 'Shining' mini-series with Steven Weber (I think that's his name).

I got the DVD at Best Buy for like $10. I'm pretty sure it's still there.

5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers

How'd I forget that one? :huh: That movie is single-handedly responsible for my phobia of vines that have melons growing on them - when I was growing up, my next door neighbor grew chinese melons and those vines grow like nobody's business and the melons look just like the pods from the movie.