Fick, Braves, Agree on One-Year deal

Guest wsc425

Guest wsc425

Report: Atlanta Braves, Free Agent Robert Fick agreed on a one year, 1 million dollar deal, with $350,000 incentives on Sunday night. :ph34r: :angry: my old icon is gone. O well, hey, theres a new one.

I like the pickup. Fick is a really good offensive player and he's coming dirt cheap. He has power from the left hand side of the plate and can hit for avg. At that money he was a bargain.

Its too bad Jr couldn't spare about 5 million cause we'd probably be able to get Cruz Jr., Robert Person and Ismael Valdes or Rick Helling.

Fick would have been a good pickup for us.

Obviously you do not live in Michigan where one can watch the Tigers play.

Fick is a jerk and a lousy ball player and would have been one of the worst acquistions in Sox history. Signing Fick would have seriously challenged my desire to drive 205 miles one way every homestand weekend to see the Sox.

I have no idea what attraction Fick has for people who haven't seen him play much, but it is bizarre. When the Tigers who have nothing have no use for a player, that should say something.

I don't think Fick is any sort of star in the making, however, I do see him as a solid bench player... Someone who can play nearly anywhere in a pinch and also swing the bat when needed. As for his attitude... If you were stuck on the Tigers for a couple of years, I don't think you'd be the happiest man ever, either. Why is it that players who play with passion and intensity are hounded for that? I'd rather have 9 guys who are intense and into the game (and consequently, lose their heads every now and then) instead of 9 guys who show no emotion whatsoever and have tea parties in the dugouts between innings.

Fick is not a very good ball player, period. He was a catcher and could not cut it. He was tried in the outfield and could not cut it. I think in all of 2002 he had one hit total that meant anything. He has a persona of being some kind of ball player, but he isn't. Was everyone impressed that he got into a brawl with the Sox in 2000? Then sign him up for the WWF, but he is just not a good ball player. The attraction of Fick astounds me. No Tigers fan is crying because he is gone from their roster. And no Sox fan who lives in Michigan who has seen a lot of Fick (i.e., me) wants him anywhere near our roster. I am glad he is in another league.

By the way, the Tigers had a team of 9 Ficks. That is why they lost 107 games or whatever it was. That is why he is gone. Striking a macho pose with no talent to back it up will get you 107 losses. It is not a choice between tea parties and pennents, it is a choice between players and people who merely offer attitude. Fick is no damn good. Thank God the Sox didn't sign him. I have seen his dismal play for the last three seasons. Thank God the Sox didn't sign him.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i dont know if i would go as far as taking fick over liefer but.. i do recall fick doing quite well against us last season.........he may not be an all star but he is a decient guy to go to...

I'll take Fick over the Liefer 10 times out of 10.

I'm with you on that. Liefer blows....Anyone see what he's hitting down in Winter League? I think its like .186 or something like that. Thats pathetic, especially for a guy who keeps saying he's a starter and is trying to prove something.

So far, he's not proven a thing. I know some compare him to Klesko, but I always liked Klesko, their ain't much I like about Liefer. He does have immense power though, just watch the guy during bp, he can hammer the ball. His swing is way too long for sucess though, and the only pitch he really hits with power is the fastball.

I'll take Fick over the Liefer 10 times out of 10.

Right now I am offering prayers of thanksgiving that you are not our GM! :D

That 265 batting average is that impressive, huh? I'd take Liefer over Fick any time, I'd take Singleton over Fick, hell, I'd take Noberto Martin over Fick every time.

winter league... lmao.. you guys act like it matters or something......give leif a chance...

I just think Liefers' swing is way too long for sucess and I've yet to see him hit anything other then a fastball with authority.

Also, no way do I give Liefer a shot, cause Caballo is a heck of a lot better hitter then Liefer and he isn't really any worse defensively.

If we were going to bring in a replacement for Lee, I'd much rather have it Jose Cruz Jr. or Robert Fick then Jeff Liefer, just my 2 cents.

Also, CW, I know you dislike the guy, and I'm sure you have good reason too, but the guys impressed me and really came on last year. He's not great defensively, but you don't need that in left, and he is solid and has a good arm.

Guest hotsoxchick1

lol..... we already have "not so great defensively" in left.....why bring on fick if not to improve on whats out there now..........doesnt make any sense does it......trade to upgrade, not to stay mediocre........

On all of those weekday nights that I am not at Comiskey and the Sox are not on any cable station carried in Michigan, I watch the Tigers and ponder why they are so bad, and why when the Sox struggle, we are still far better than them.

Some of it is the manager. Manuel might now impress us always until you look at what else is out there.

And some of it is talent. Fick is one of the most over-rated utility players ever. I've seen him in so many games. Just nothing there. When Brandon Inge took his job, the Tigs didn't even keep Fick as back-up, they switched his position just to see if they could salvage anything. And they couldn't.

The only player that the Tigers had last year that I would like is Weaver, and since he is represented by Boras and he is kind of a head case anyway, I never counted on that when others hoped.

I see the Tigers at Comiskey and I see them in Detroit. Last August in fact I saw both my beloved Sox and my beloved Wolverines play on the same day (and they both won, of course!). Fick has no fans in Detroit, and the Michigan papers thought letting him go was a good Tigers move.

I have no idea what others see in him except he gets into fights. I like attitude as much as anyone, one reason I love Parque and feel so badly that he didn't recover for us. But what anyone sees in Fick is beyond me, and all I can conclude is that no one has seen him as much as me.

We have maybe one more year of feeding off the Tigers. Trammel inherited nothing (and got rid of Fick... considering the new Tigers coaching staff is filled with people who saw a lot of the Tigers like year, such as Kirk Gibson, that should say something...). Trammel may, and I say may, be able to resurrect that team in a year or two.

lol..... we already have "not so great defensively" in left.....why bring on fick if not to improve on whats out there now..........doesnt make any sense does it......trade to upgrade, not to stay mediocre........

;) If we brought Fick in then to me we'd have to move Lee for a starting pitcher.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in bringing Fick in, although I think he'd be a great bench player, we all know the Sox can't spend 1 mill on a bench player when they need to spend that mill on a pitcher that will send them to a series

Well, Fick's low BA could be as a result of being stuck in one of the worst offenses in the American League. Why pitch to Fick, who's got some skill, when you can take your chances on some of the bums the Tigers have paraded out there the last few years?

Oh, and Liefer blows. If I never see him in a Sox uniform again, it'll be too soon.

Fick is not a very good ball player, period.  He was a catcher and could not cut it.  He was tried in the outfield and could not cut it.  I think in all of 2002 he had one hit total that meant anything.  He has a persona of being some kind of ball player, but he isn't.  Was everyone impressed that he got into a brawl with the Sox in 2000?  Then sign him up for the WWF, but he is just not a good ball player.  The attraction of Fick astounds me.  No Tigers fan is crying because he is gone from their roster.  And no Sox fan who lives in Michigan who has seen a lot of Fick (i.e., me) wants him anywhere near our roster.  I am glad he is in another league.

By the way, the Tigers had a team of 9 Ficks.  That is why they lost 107 games or whatever it was.  That is why he is gone.  Striking a macho pose with no talent to back it up will get you 107 losses. It is not a choice between tea parties and pennents, it is a choice between players and people who merely offer attitude.  Fick is no damn good.  Thank God the Sox didn't sign him.  I have seen his dismal play for the last three seasons.  Thank God the Sox didn't sign him.

cwsox,

most of us dont get to see fick as much as you do...alot of us remember that 3 game series in detriot last year where he won 2 of those games with his bat and glove...remember when he threw out two guys at 3rd base from RF??...i wouldnt say those throws would rival roberto clemente but they were two of the better throws i saw all of last year....plus the guy is left handed and has hit for both power and average in his career.....you might not like him..but he does have talent..maybe it doesnt show up as often as it should and thats why he fell out of favor in detroit but he does have the talent to play this game if he ever gets his head on straight...maybe going to a class organization like the braves , where winning and the effort towards winning is demanded from the very top on down will be just what fick needs to reach his potential...

I'm glad KW didn't go get Fick, that geezer. He is just as clutch as SamME is, and is no more special than Lyle Mouton! He is nowhere near the calibur of someone who helps a team win a world series. His selection to the all star team is very misleading with much thanks to the fact that every team must have at least one representative.

The ONLY positive I could see about if we were to get Fick would be that we could replace our lost ability to say "What the Foulke!" with "What the Fick!" THAT'S IT!