Top 150 Prospects from RotoWorld

Cerbaho-WG

http://ww2.rotoworld.com/display2.asp?spor...lumn=strikezone

6. Joe Borchard - OF White Sox - Age 24 - ETA: June 2003

Previous rankings: mid-2001 #9, 2002 #9, mid-2002 #5

.000/.667/.000, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0/6 K/BB, 0 SB in 3 AB for Single-A Winston-Salem

.272/.349/.498, 20 HR, 59 RBI, 139/49 K/BB, 2 SB in 438 AB for Triple-A Charlotte

.222/.243/.389, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 14/1 K/BB, 0 SB in 36 AB for Chicago (AL)

Borchard isn’t developing quite as quickly as the White Sox hoped, but he did have a solid 847 OPS in his first attempt at Triple-A. The former Stanford quarterback is a potential 35-homer outfielder in the majors. He strikes out too much, and as a result, I think he’ll probably struggle in his first major league season. However, he will be a very good player by 2005. The White Sox plan to have Borchard begin 2003 back in Triple-A, which is for the best. Borchard could take over center field from Aaron Rowand before the end of the season. He’ll probably end up in a corner eventually.

21. Jon Rauch - RHP White Sox - Age 24 - ETA: May 2003

Previous rankings: 2001 #10, mid-2001 #10, 2002 #13, mid-2002 #48

7-8, 4.28 ERA, 91 H, 97/42 K/BB in 109 1/3 IP for Triple-A Charlotte

2-1, 6.59 ERA, 28 H, 19/14 K/BB in 28 2/3 IP for Chicago (AL)

Even though he still wasn’t fully recovered from shoulder surgery, Rauch made the White Sox out of spring training last season. He struggled, of course, but he made steady improvement once shipped back to Charlotte in early May. After holding International League hitters to a .226 average, he should get the chance to contend for a rotation spot again in 2003. I view Rauch as quite the sleeper in his second year back. The 6-foot-11 right-hander has a low-90s fastball and fine control of his breaking pitches. He still has the potential to be a front-of-the-rotation starter.

56. Kris Honel - RHP White Sox - Age 20 - ETA: Sept. 2004

Previous rankings: mid-2002 #80

9-8, 2.82 ERA, 128 H, 152/52 K/BB in 153 1/3 IP for Single-A Kannapolis

0-0, 1.69 ERA, 3 H, 8/3 K/BB in 5 1/3 IP for Single-A Winston Salem

Honel was the 16th overall pick in the 2001 draft. The 20-year-old owns a low-90s fastball and a knuckle-curve that could someday be the equal of Mike Mussina’s. Honel has No. 2-starter potential if he can avoid arm problems. Expect him to reach Double-A in 2003 and make his major league debut in late 2004.

116. Anthony Webster - OF White Sox - Age 19 - ETA: 2007

137. Corwin Malone - LHP White Sox - Age 22 - ETA: Sept. 2003

140. Arnaldo Munoz - LHP White Sox- Age 20 - ETA: August 2003

I liked those reports. For those people out their that think our system is weaker, I got news, it isn't. I actually think we have a lot better prospects now then we did a couple years ago.

Garland and Wells were good and all, but Rauch and Honel are way better, imo. Then we also have Malone whose got phenomenal potential and Diaz whose the same. We also have one of the deepest bullpen prospects in major league history.

Pitching-wise, the system is still pretty stacked. I don't know if we're as good as we were a few years ago, but I'd say we're still in the top 25% of all minor league systems in terms of pitching talent. But that's just me, and I really don't know other teams' systems that well. Granted, all of the "prospects" won't pan out, but with the sheer number we have right now, a few are bound to become MLB caliber pitchers. However, we're very thin in terms of position players.

Pitching-wise, the system is still pretty stacked.  I don't know if we're as good as we were a few years ago, but I'd say we're still in the top 25% of all minor league systems in terms of pitching talent.  But that's just me, and I really don't know other teams' systems that well.  Granted, all of the "prospects" won't pan out, but with the sheer number we have right now, a few are bound to become MLB caliber pitchers.  However, we're very thin in terms of position players.

I would agree with that, but I like our depth in the outfield now and we do have quite a few talented 3rd baseman in the lower levels, while we have some talented middle infielders in Hummel (AAA), Guillermo Reyes (A), Edwin Yan (A), Willie Harris(AAA/Majors), Aaron Miles (AA - I don't consider him as big a prospect, but he could be one of those guys that comes out of nowhere in the majors).

Catching is the one area were real thin, but we do have one of the top catching prospects in the game in Olivo, and well, most organizations are extremely week at catching.

Webster, Jeremy Reed, and Borchard should all make the majors in the outfield, whether its with the Sox or some other team.

The Cubs may be the one farm system with better pitching prospects with guys like Andy Sisco, etc. Altough its close, cause I love a lof of the Sox pitching prospects.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i find it interesting that all of these reports have the same exact thing to say about the same players time and time again...... who writes this stuff? or is it just that news in mlb is slow these days so they drudge up the same ol s***, rearrange a few things and try to sell it off as something we already havent heard before..........please tell us something new for a change huh...........lol.........

i find it interesting that all of these reports have the same exact thing to say about the same players time and time again...... who writes this stuff? or is it just that news in mlb is slow these days so they drudge up the same ol s***, rearrange a few things and try to sell it off as something we already havent heard before..........please tell us something new for a change huh...........lol.........

I think on the most part, most prospects are similar. Almost all strikeout too much and need to work on their eye, and as far as ETA, it should be relatively the same for each player of a certain age at a certain level. If your just 18, your at least 4 yrs off or most likely you are, unless your a truly special prospect.

Guest hotsoxchick1

true enough.. but my point here is, why keep telling us the same old news all the time... why not find something in there like.... he is improving since we last reported or he is sucking up the place since our last report and state why ........i grow tired of re-reading the same old scouting reports......... give me new news or no news at all....

true enough.. but my point here is, why keep telling us the same old news all the time... why not find something in there like.... he is improving since we last reported or he is sucking up the place since our last report and state why ........i grow tired of re-reading the same old scouting reports......... give me new news or no news at all....

Oooh, that I don't know. Its probably based on the fact that they don't have enough people following the guys.

Its easier for us to tell stuff like that cause were only following one organization, so you can kind of tell.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Oooh, that I don't know. Its probably based on the fact that they don't have enough people following the guys.

Its easier for us to tell stuff like that cause were only following one organization, so you can kind of tell.

but isnt that what these bozos get paid for?? following these kids around and seeing what they can and can not do......hell give me the job, ill tell ya whos doing what while enjoying a little vacation from place to place........lol

lol jas i would pack my baggs and never look back.....visit once in a while yes, but never look back...........

so would I...

in a heartbeat.

But I wonder what the pressure is like in that job to have to sell the prospects you talk up and then hope like hell they make it - there must be some sort of percentage of your touted players that must work, or you ahve to be a really good buddy of the GM, to keep on in that job.

lol jas i would pack my baggs and never look back.....visit once in a while yes, but never look back...........

so would I...

in a heartbeat.

But I wonder what the pressure is like in that job to have to sell the prospects you talk up and then hope like hell they make it - there must be some sort of percentage of your touted players that must work, or you ahve to be a really good buddy of the GM, to keep on in that job.

I've talked to a couple scouts, and basically you get salary, but you get a ton of free stuff. Unless your a top scout, you don't exactly make money. Still, it would be a pretty fun job, of course, I enjoy having one place I can call home.

I liked those reports.  For those people out their that think our system is weaker, I got news, it isn't.  I actually think we have a lot better prospects now then we did a couple years ago.

Garland and Wells were good and all, but Rauch and Honel are way better, imo.  Then we also have Malone whose got phenomenal potential and Diaz whose the same.  We also have one of the deepest bullpen prospects in major league history.

I still believe Garland is going to be a top of the rotation stud.