Colon rumor

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't there are enough legitimate sources for this rumor to even be considered....a radio station....and I did not see it on the White Sox 'site'(if you want to call it that) on ESPN.

We'd probably have to give up a good young pitcher along with some other talent...maybe Jeff Liefer(seriously)....atleast he'd get a starting job.

I don't there are enough legitimate sources for this rumor to even be considered....a radio station....and I did not see it on the White Sox 'site'(if you want to call it that) on ESPN. 

We'd probably have to give up a good young pitcher along with some other talent...maybe Jeff Liefer(seriously)....atleast he'd get a starting job.

HA! Try Rauch Borchard and Liefer. All these other teams know when KW REALLY want to get something done, he shows desperation and can be taken advantage of.

Regardless, they are getting more out of it than what they would involve the Mets and Red Sox....all that is known is the Mets would probably trade someone to Montreal for Colon and then Colon would be dealt to Boston for Shea Hillenbrand.

If that's all they want for him, why wont they accept Wright, Paul, and Liefer?

Regardless, they are getting more out of it than what they would involve the Mets and Red Sox....all that is known is the Mets would probably trade someone to Montreal for Colon and then Colon would be dealt to Boston for Shea Hillenbrand.

If that's all they want for him, why wont they accept Wright, Paul, and Liefer?

They probably would....and that could make Michael Barret expendable too, but he only makes $1.25 mill a year or so for them.

I don't know if anyone would want to do this....but we could probably get Colon and Tatis for practically nothing.

My guess is that in order to land Colon, the Sox would have to send either one of Biddle, Rauch, Wright, or Garland plus one of Munoz, Ring, Webster, Stewart or Sanders. It seems like Minaya may have overplayed his hand a bit, which might allow the Sox to cash in on Colon without giving up Rauch or Garland, but I kind of doubt it. Of course, if the Sox were willing to take on Tatis' contract as well, they could probably get Colon and Tatis for a lot less; maybe Harris, Biddle and a B-level prospect. I would love to see the Sox do that (especially since Tatis' contract is only for one more year; the payroll would end up about the same as last year and they'd have a much better rotation).

Sources are AM radio 1510 in Boston and the ESPN sox message board.

A message board? I think I have better things to do than to believe a rumor that was originated on an ESPN board....and the only radio show I'll listen to and believe any rumors of is MLB radio. Radios can start a lot of rumors that are nothing but things to take up air time. You can propose a deal, say, Joe Blow for Mo Schmoe and just have people call in and talk about the deal and then have the deejays talk about the proposed deal to eat up air time.

My guess is that in order to land Colon, the Sox would have to send either one of Biddle, Rauch, Wright, or Garland plus one of Munoz, Ring, Webster, Stewart or Sanders.  It seems like Minaya may have overplayed his hand a bit, which might allow the Sox to cash in on Colon without giving up Rauch or Garland, but I kind of doubt it.  Of course, if the Sox were willing to take on Tatis' contract as well, they could probably get Colon and Tatis for a lot less; maybe Harris, Biddle and a B-level prospect.  I would love to see the Sox do that (especially since Tatis' contract is only for one more year; the payroll would end up about the same as last year and they'd have a much better rotation).

And we'd have a decent bat, albeit an expensive one, off the bench that can play both 3B and 1B.

That deal suits me a bit better in all reality....we don't lose as much, and we gain a frickin ton. $8 million more puts us at $50 million....adding $6 million more couldn't hurt us either, especially since we're hosting the all-star game.

I would only trade for Colon if KW could sign him to at least a 3 year deal. I think this is the last year on his current contract.

and if on the other hand he helps brings us a ring. if we have to overpay, he better not overpay toooooo much. lets not be taken as we were in the ray durham trade.

Boy would i love for these rumors to be true I think with Bartolo and Mark heading the rotation with Garland, Wright, and Rauch, or Maybe My personal choice Corwin Malone I think we would have a real chance at not only making the playoffs but playing well in them i expect big things from both Garland and Danny this season. If the chips fall in place we should be in for an exciting season, and postseason perhaps

The Godfather

If we overpay again it's gonna be another Ritchie trade.

We'll be watching Rauch, Garland, Wright, whomever kicking ass in Montreal

while Colon is average here.

I want to acquire him but for nothing.

Like you said, we overpay and will do so again.

We'll probably give up Crede, Garland, Wright and two minor leaguers.

We should give them 3 stiffs in the minors for Colon.

I mean who did the Yanks give up for Weaver?

If we make 2-3 more bonehead trades, we are going to be horses*** for years to come

instead of mediocre.

If we make 2-3 more bonehead trades, we are going to be horses*** for years to come

instead of mediocre.

Yeah, we should send them Josh Paul and Jeff Liefer for Colon!!!

Then we can trade Graffinino and Rowand for Curt Schilling!! And Sandy Alomar for Mike Piazza! Maybe the Yankees will part with Mike Mussina for Willie Harris!

Come on, be realistic. The Expos gave up some SERIOUS prospects to get Colon. At one point, the Yankees were rumored to be offering Nick Johnson and Juan Rivera, two very good prospects. The Sox aren't going to get Colon for nothing. Obviously, based upon the current configuration of the team, and the lameness of the AL Central, I'd be all in favor of dealing prospects for Colon. But I think they'd probably have to trade either Garland or Rauch. KW came awfully close to trading Garland to Anaheim last year; me thinks he'll offer Garland and some prospects (maybe Munoz and/or Malone). If they're going to do the deal for prospects only, I'm guessing we will have to part with two or three of our very best (e.g., Honel, Munoz, Malone, Webster). The only caveat to all of this is if the Sox are willing ot eat the Tatis contract. If they do, the asking price goes down.

I would only trade for Colon if KW could sign him to at least a 3 year deal. I think this is the last year on his current contract.

First off, welcome aboard KJ. ALso, your right on the money, colon is a free agent and if we are going to give up some top prospects, then the Sox better be signing him long term.

One thing I do believe is that Colon's value is as low as its going to get, and nows the time to make a move. I've had a hunch this week that the Sox were getting close because I do think they will spend some money, keeping their payroll at 50 mill and they could pick up Colon and an outfielder and then call it quits.

I'd look for them to move Biddle, Brian West and a couple mid level prospects.

Well, thats what I'd offer. I'm happy if we don't give up any of our top guns (Rauch, Honel, Wright, Garland) and if we don't give up Lee (I want him back this year). Liefer probably could be part of the deal. On a side note, I'd be willing to deal Wright, but only if it was like Wright and Liefer, I wouldn't give them anyone else good. I'd love the idea of a rotation with Buerhle, Colon, Garland, Wright and Rauch. To me that is plenty good, and then mixed with our lineup and a really good bullpen, we could be one of the top teams in the majors. Then if Garland or Wright or Rauch develop to their potential this year or near it (They all have really goot potential, imo, especially Rauch and Garland) then we have a starting 3, that could definately do somethings in the playoffs.

and if on the other hand he helps brings us a ring. if we have to overpay, he better not overpay toooooo much. lets not be taken as we were in the ray durham trade.

I know, look at all the teams that we're beating down the door to sign Ray as a free agent. :o

Boy would i love for these rumors to be true I think with Bartolo and Mark heading the rotation with Garland, Wright, and Rauch, or Maybe My personal choice Corwin Malone I think we would have a real chance at not only making the playoffs but playing well in them i expect big things from both Garland and Danny this season. If the chips fall in place we should be in for an exciting season, and postseason perhaps

The Godfather

Yes ,we will. I've said it since the original date we were mentioned as a possibility of Colon, if we could land him without giving up any of our top prospects or every day players, we'd be a force to recken with next year. We have an incredibly young nucleus, a rather deep lineup, an above average bullpen, and some prospects down below that could step in, if their are any injuries.

I'd love for us to be able to get him cheaply and even better if the Sox could resign him.

instead of mediocre.

It will never be another Ritchie trade for one reason Greg, we are getting an ace pitcher in Colon. The guy has proved it in the AL and in our division. He's a phenomenal pitcher, not quite in the top 5 to 10 pitchers, but if he's not their, then he's definately in the next grouping and would instantly step in as our best pitcher, giving us two aces (That moves Garland and Wright back in the rotation and gives us one of the deepest rotations in baseball)

Yeah, we should send them Josh Paul and Jeff Liefer for Colon!!!

Then we can trade Graffinino and Rowand for Curt Schilling!!  And Sandy Alomar for Mike Piazza!  Maybe the Yankees will part with Mike Mussina for Willie Harris!

Come on, be realistic.  The Expos gave up some SERIOUS prospects to get Colon.  At one point, the Yankees were rumored to be offering Nick Johnson and Juan Rivera, two very good prospects.  The Sox aren't going to get Colon for nothing.  Obviously, based upon the current configuration of the team, and the lameness of the AL Central, I'd be all in favor of dealing prospects for Colon.  But I think they'd probably have to trade either Garland or Rauch.  KW came awfully close to trading Garland to Anaheim last year; me thinks he'll offer Garland and some prospects (maybe Munoz and/or Malone).  If they're going to do the deal for prospects only, I'm guessing we will have to part with two or three of our very best (e.g., Honel, Munoz, Malone, Webster).  The only caveat to all of this is if the Sox are willing ot eat the Tatis contract.  If they do, the asking price goes down.

Dibbler, I would of agreed with you a month ago, but supposedly Shea Hillebrand would pretty much get the deal done. Ya, he's young and had one good year, but he's nothing special.

I really think it will cost us one really good pitching prospect (None of our great ones, Diaz or Malone at best) and then another prospect (maybe a reliever or someone like Brian West) and then a guy like Liefer with major league experience.

I think we could get him cheaper then what your suggesting. We won't get him for stiffs though. Also, I no longer see the Sox dealing Jon Garland. If we give up any of our starters it would be Wright or Biddle (If they want him)

We'd be a force to recken with next year.

You'd think that wouldn't you? With the Sox, something weird always happens.

I know weird stuff happens, but this team is due. The only thing that would scare me is if our top of the order really fails, cause i Think that may be the biggest questionmark right with the pitching staff.

I don't really like Manos, although I guess he works, and I like Jimenez a lot, but were in deep crap if he fails at the top of the lineup. Thats why we need to sign a 4th outfielder who could either hit 1 or 2, just in case.

Cruz Jr. fits the bill to be a 4th outfielder in the back of the lineup, although he could hit in the 2 hole (To me thats too many k's at the top of the order) while Palemerio is a classic #2 hitter and would be an awesome pickup. I'm really biased though cause I've been a Palmerio fan a long time and have watched him every year with the Angels.