The Pet Peeve thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drivers that insist on blocking driveways so other drives have to sit for a light to change. Idiots that don't pull up to the first pump or pull in engine to engine so you have to back up and try and get around them.

Idiots like PA and 2K4 who waste my time because I just have to read whatever dribble they come up with and respond.

:bang

Oh, one more that just occured to me. Customers who call looking for a part and don't know what they want or any specs, but you are supposed to know what they want and what the part can handle, electrically speaking.

Also, when corporate comes in and there is nothing to do so I have to make up stuff to do. Hence the wallpaper on my computer that I made with autocad.

-Banana Yellow Cars

-Slow left lane drivers who have a mile of cars behind them, nothing in front of them, and just plain will not get out of the way.

-People who think they are better/more intelligent/knowledgable then others.

-Justin Timberlake, I wanna ring that jagbag's neck.

-Ashton Kutcher, can he be more loud and annoying?

I really could go on, but I'll spare you.

When people don't respect the GOD I am and insist on testing my powers and I have to destroy them...

Thats really annoying.

Seriously...MTV cribs annoys me when they show an "artist" who hasn't even released an album yet and they have 20 cars, gold plated swimming pools and 4,567 bottles of Cristal.

Hasn't anyone heard of Hammer?

Ask Homer, he bought his house...

Drivers that insist on blocking driveways so other drives have to sit for a light to change. Idiots that don't pull up to the first pump or pull in engine to engine so you have to back up and try and get around them.

Idiots like PA and 2K4 who waste my time because I just have to read whatever dribble they come up with and respond.

:bang

people who think "drivel" is spelled "dribble"... :rolleyes: :D

people who think the beatles invented music and the electric guitar

seriously though, after 5 years in banking I'm well past OCD....

people walking up to me when I have other member's info or deposits still out from the previous depositor. Hello, if you want me to broadcast YOUR financial information to the next person, fine...keep walking up to me like that.

people claiming they're illiterate, which I don't debate...but they make me freakin' fill out their information on their deposit slip...BUT WAIT...when there's something wrong later with their transaction because either I'm disgusted by the alcohol on their breath or the fact that they haven't showered in 23 days...IT'S MY FAULT!

I hate this job...I'm done

drivers that don't use turn signals

fat people that blame their condition on anything BUT the fact that they eat like s*** and don't exercise regularly.

religious fundamentalists

Dr. Phil

the prevalent "victim complex" in today's society. Stand up and take some responsiblity for your actions, f***head.

I could go on for days, so I think i'll just stop now.

I have two linguistic pet peeves that most people think I’m a little nuts about. I hate when people use the term “very unique.” By definition, unique literally means ‘one of a kind,’ so very unique is annoyingly redundant and demonstrates the speaker’s ignorance of the meaning of the word. Kind of like when Father Guido Sarducci went off on peoplee saying “forever and ever,” because, “forever-a kind of-a covers it” (insert bad Italian accent here).

The other one is the use of the word “creature” to describe animals. As the root of the word is ‘creare’ – to create, to lazily use the word in describing animals risks giving Creation “Science” (#$%!*&%$!) popular credibility, at least at some subliminal level. My apologies to James Herriot (“All Creatures Great and Small”), but living as a veterinarian in Devonshire he never had to fend off school boards in Tennessee and elsewhere still trying to shove this pap down the throats of their students. Call them beasts, fauna, animals, etc., but please not creatures or its cutesy bastardiztion, “critters.”

I have a few...

1. People who drive in parking lots like there's no lines on the pavement to guide traffic. It's like a demolition derby to these people! I've nearly been in several wrecks caused by people who think that since they are off the streets and in a parking lot that they can drive willy-nilly through several rows of unused parking spaces.

2. Children singing. Now don't get me wrong, I love children, but why must people put their singing on albums? Those Kid-Bop commercials where they have pre-pubescent children singing pop hits is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

3. When people say "I could care less". That means you care somewhat. Stop it.

4. Musical numbers in TV shows or movies. My eyes impulsively roll back into my head.

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll remember a few more later.

Fat people's diets. In the dinning hall everyday, I see fat people eating a salad and some fruit, they almost always have soda too. I always hear them say that they worked out today, and ate well, so they can have a nice desert. Their desert is always massive. I always want to just tell them, good luck losing weight.

the prevalent "victim complex" in today's society.  Stand up and take some responsiblity for your actions, f***head.

Right on. In the society we live in nothing is anybody's fault. You commit a crime, it was society's fault, it was racism, it was sexism, my dog made me do it...etc..etc..etc

People's kids turn out rotten... It wasn't the parents fault, naaahh it was the entertainment industry, it was video games, it was his peers....

People get fat. It aint cause they eat to much garbage and dont exercise, naaah, lets sue McDonalds for selling them big macs like they were forced in there at gunpoint or something.

It just goes on and on. The whining of America continues.

drivers that don't use turn signals

fat people that blame their condition on anything BUT the fact that they eat like s*** and don't exercise regularly.

religious fundamentalists

Dr. Phil

the prevalent "victim complex" in today's society.  Stand up and take some responsiblity for your actions, f***head.

I could go on for days, so I think i'll just stop now.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

couldn't agree with you more on all those accounts

I have two linguistic pet peeves that most people think I’m a little nuts about.  I hate when people use the term “very unique.”  By definition, unique literally means ‘one of a kind,’ so very unique is annoyingly redundant and demonstrates the speaker’s ignorance of the meaning of the word.  Kind of like when Father Guido Sarducci went off on peoplee saying “forever and ever,” because, “forever-a kind of-a covers it” (insert bad Italian accent here).

The other one is the use of the word “creature” to describe animals.  As the root of the word is ‘creare’ – to create, to lazily use the word in describing animals risks giving Creation “Science” (#$%!*&%$!) popular credibility, at least at some subliminal level.  My apologies to James Herriot (“All Creatures Great and Small”), but living as a veterinarian in Devonshire he never had to fend off school boards in Tennessee and elsewhere still trying to shove this pap down the throats of their students.  Call them beasts, fauna, animals, etc., but please not creatures or its cutesy bastardiztion, “critters.”

If you agree with me that redundancy is annoying, wouldn't it follow that "annoyingly redundant" is in the same vein as "very unique"?

I couldn't resist. Sorry. :cheers

Now, about your objection to the word "creature" to describe animals. Creationism is theory as is evolution. Therefore, until one or the other is definitively proven or disproven, "Creation Science" is as viable of a possiblity as evolution. Therefore,using "creature" to describe animals is a valid option. Creature is to creator as scuplture is to sculptor.

Redundancy is annoying, so, sure that's a fair cop.

Absolutely wrong as far as Creation "Science" goes, though. And this is way more than a pet peeve, which is why I restricted the aerlier post to the innocent misuse of a term which in small part legitimizes bulls*** set forth by biblical literalists. Myt assumption is you are merely playing devil's advocate here, so I'll go through the motions.

A 'theory' in science is hardcore, way more bolstered up by evidence than a hypothesis, way mnore than a vague notion that this or that may have happened in the past. Heck, Special Relativity ala' Einstein is just a theory, even though entire fields of science are built on it. Scientists use the term theory to describe something very well supported, but not all possible tests have been carried out.

Scientists do NOT use the terms Creationism and science in the same sentence. Creationism is NOT science, nor is 'Inteligent Design,' or any other equivalents espoused by biblical literalists who have decided to interpret scriptures as historical fact rather than allegory. Biblical literalists are the equivalent of Flat Earthers, which amazingly also still exist but have zero relevance in the scientific world. The fact that biological diversification occured through evolution from ancestral precursors is accepted, is not debatable, and continues to be reinforced with each new technique (cell structure >> protein analysis >> DNA analysis) thrown in the mix. What is not yet known are some of the subtle mechanisms, like how ostensably neutral or slightly beneficial micromutations can accumulate as macromutational changes as in the formation of the vertebrate eye or a snake's envenomation apparatus. That's why its a valid, vital, and changing field. We don't know much about how the brain works yet, but that doesn't invalidate 75 years of neuroscience.

The question of the existence of God is beyond science, and is rightly left to theologians. The question of how organic diversity came into being is beyond that capacity for comprehension else or is too damaging to the personal beliefs of literalists that humans are something more than a minor footnote in the evolutionary tale. Yet we give these people airtime and let them threaten the goal of scientific literacy for the students in our nation's schools. It makes no sense.

Drivers when it is raining or after a rain - okay, we get the streets are wet, now do we have to go 20 MPH on the tri-state because the street is damp?!

Speaking of drivers in the rain...I had a fun experience Tuesday morning on the Ryan: A guy started drifting into my lane and pushed me over into the median where ther was one of those orange barrels and I smacked it with my mirror at 60 MPH which in turn smacked into my driver's side window and covered me in broken glass. What a wonderful morning.

Speaking of drivers in the rain...I had a fun experience Tuesday morning on the Ryan: A guy started drifting into my lane and pushed me over into the median where ther was one of those orange barrels and I smacked it with my mirror at 60 MPH which in turn smacked into my driver's side window and covered me in broken glass. What a wonderful morning.

Ouch! I hope you were okay (hopefully it won't cost too much to repair the car).