Rumor

Chisoxfn

WSI isn't even interactive with the ballclubs and have no insiders...

I dont think we have any insiders beastly. Besides the occasional visits from minor leaguers theres no one from inside the sox organization that frequently post here. But of course if they did then that person would never admit it anyway.

The difference is we dont claim to have inside information.........start rumors with "A big trade is coming up soon in the next few days" and then not list any sources. A thread like that probably would of died here but at WSI it went on for a while.

I guess theres no set standards that you cant post uncorrobarated rumors but why would you if its not reliable. Reminds me of the threads where someone would say....."My mechanic told me that the Sox are going to get Tejada."

Seems like it would be a good deal to me. You gotta take risks, and we all know KW can do that(hell he and JR have already taken one this offseason in hiring Ozz, he traded for Koch last year, traded for Ritchie the prior year, and traded for Clayton and Wells in his first winter on the job). Problem is, we all know how those turned out. :angry:

Still, I'd be in favor of this trade. IMO, we may as well take a risk on Griff. When he is healthy and is playing well and up to his potential, he is a difference maker. He is one of the bigger impact players in the game today. There are things that are measured by stats and then there are things not measured by stats, and he brings those kinds of things.

And regarding his s***ty attitude....I don't give a s*** what his attitude is. Ozz won't put up with a s***ty attitude, and I can already tell that, and even if he does continue with it, winning cures all. And if he plays well, and we win, he'll be happy and we'll have a happy clubhouse.

I also think it would be cool to have the two best players of the mid-90s on the same team, 10 years later.

This is a trade that will not happen. No one will trade for Griffey with that contract, until they see he is healthy, and can stay healthy,and, most importantly, is still an all star caliber player.This scenerio is a figment of someone's imagination.

Well DUH, if he was healthy, proves he can stay healthy and is still an all-star caliber player, there THERE WOULD BE NO REASON TO TRADE HIM. His contract would actually be a good one in today's market!

Griffey's an interesting guy. He WAS the guy that was supposed to surpass Hank Aaron's record. Going back home to Cincy was supposed to be a good thing for Griff. He's had a rough time in Cincy, I'd like to see the guy do well again. If he can stay healthy a full season, Griffey could be back at it.

Well DUH, if he was healthy, proves he can stay healthy and is still an all-star caliber player, there THERE WOULD BE NO REASON TO TRADE HIM.  His contract would actually be a good one in today's market!

The Reds are dumping payroll and would like to get out of paying that contract. If Griffey hit 50 homers next year, and was healthy, they would trade him for a slew of prospects in a heartbeat. No one would trade for him now, especially your team's best player. His conract runs 3 or 4 more years after this season with a 4 million buyout, I believe after 2008. Even if he came back to his old levels this season, his recent injury history still makes his contract a terrible risk.

This just strikes me as a bulls*** rumor. I can see the Reds doing this deal, but I cannot see the Sox taking on Griffey's contract because of the longterm obligation vs. the risk factor. If they would offer Maggs exactly what is remaining on Griffey's contract, I believe he'd take it. And for the same money, I'd much rather have Magglio.

Let me say that I have not researched Griffey's contract, but I was just going by what has been said in this thread.

I dont think we have any insiders beastly.  Besides the occasional visits from minor leaguers theres no one from inside the sox organization that frequently post here.  But of course if they did then that person would never admit it anyway.

The difference is we dont claim to have inside information.........start rumors with "A big trade is coming up soon in the next few days" and then not list any sources.  A thread like that probably would of died here but at WSI it went on for a while. 

I guess theres no set standards that you cant post uncorrobarated rumors but why would you if its not reliable.  Reminds me of the threads where someone would say....."My mechanic told me that the Sox are going to get Tejada."

You must not have been around when Kenny was getting "canned"... :rolleyes:

I hear things all the time, and other than folks guessing, I don't tell who I hear them from (and I'd say they are insiders :huh: ). That's why they are called rumors...

I've heard things straight from players mouths.. and then the complete opposite has been done.

And what standard exactly do you want to set for posting rumors..? I can't speak for anyone else, but when I post something I've heard, a rumor, my guess is it's less than 25% on the money. But hey.. anything is possible.

WSI isn't even interactive with the ballclubs and have no insiders...

Several Sox employees post there, and a few media reps. What kind of insider do you want..? The janitor? I might be able to get the garbage man here... ( ;) @ you Killa :D )

And what standard exactly do you want to set for posting rumors..? I can't speak for anyone else, but when I post something I've heard, a rumor, my guess is it's less than 25% on the money. But hey.. anything is possible.

I dont have any certain standards on what determines when a rumor should be posted. This is the offseason and there will be many of them floating around our website.

Not being around last offseason I couldnt compare the amount of rumors generated.......though it seems everyday someone has a new possible scenario for a sox trade. All well and good if its from the newspaper or media but when someone is getting their inside info off Ncorg or some other supposed insider then it just sort of becomes repetitive. What I want to know is where these insiders are hiding out at. It seems that many just sit on corners and give out sox rumors to those willing to listen. Others work undercover and give out information but skillfully hide out beyond a condition of anoymity.

Perhaps waiting around for KW to make a trade instead of trying to predict one has gotten under my skin. Its not something to get worked up about in any case. I could of put it in the pet peeve thread though this one brought it to my attention first.

The Reds are dumping payroll and would like to get out of paying that contract. If Griffey hit 50 homers next year, and was healthy, they would trade him for a slew of prospects in a heartbeat. No one would trade for him now, especially your team's best player. His conract runs 3 or 4 more years after this season with a 4 million buyout, I believe after 2008. Even if he came back to his old levels this season, his recent injury history still makes his contract a terrible risk.

If Griffey was playing at his old level, the Reds wouldn't need to pare payroll. He would attract enough fans to pay for himself. The bottom line is if Griffey were an All-Star, they would keep him, not trade him. The whole purpose for getting him was to have a hometown star to boost interest and attendance. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked because of his struggles and injuries.

I dont have any certain standards on what determines when a rumor should be posted.  This is the offseason and there will be many of them floating around our website. 

Not being around last offseason I couldnt compare the amount of rumors generated.......though it seems everyday someone has a new possible scenario for a sox trade.  All well and good if its from the newspaper or media but when someone is getting their inside info off Ncorg or some other supposed insider then it just sort of becomes repetitive. What I want to know is where these insiders are hiding out at. It seems that many just sit on corners and give out sox rumors to those willing to listen.  Others work undercover and give out information but skillfully hide out beyond a condition of anoymity.

Perhaps waiting around for KW to make a trade instead of trying to predict one has gotten under my skin.  Its not something to get worked up about in any case. I could of put it in the pet peeve thread though this one brought it to my attention first.

Thats basically what Gammons does. He calls up his insiders around the league and he hears things. Most of the time he is wrong, but he does know whats going on. Most of the executives in the game respect Gammons and quite often they will call him when something is giong down because they help them find out whats going on too.

Its just trades are hard to complete. You can be really close on something but when the two sides can't fully agree, they can't fully agree. So if they are just in early talks and a rumor comes out of it cause someone finds out, there are way better odds that the deal doesn't go down then it actually going down.