Your Offseason Wish List

Chisoxfn

Last season we did something like this and I remember I really wanted Ponson via trade and other people had other guys they wanted. This is kind of a thread where you can say whether you want this guy or that guy. Doesn't have to be realistic or it can be realistic, just a way to say, this guys gonna be good or he'll be a great pickup.

Last years thread took off and was one of the longest in Soxtalk history so hopefuly this years can be just as fun if not more fun :cheers

My Wish List

Starting Pitchers

- Bartolo Colon/Sidney Ponson/Andy Pettite/Kevin Millwood

- A 5th starter

Relief Pitchers

- Unload Billy Koch

- Bring in two good relievers (Sully, Hawkins, Hasagewa, etc)

- Bring in 1 vet reliever (Osuna)

Outfielders

- Trade Maggs and whoever for Soriano and Nick Johnson (Stick Soriano in center)

Infielders

- Miguel Tejada or Kaz Matsui

- Unload Paul Konerko

- Move Jose to 2nd if they have the money or trade him and get Izturis and Tejada

Starting staff - either rob the Expos again and get Javy Vazquez, sign Miguel Batista or Ponson(or both) for $5 mill or so a year, and then if we only sign one, get another solid pitcher(like, and I know many won't like it, but sign a guy like David Wells. He ain't great, but he'd be a solid 3-5 starter, and that's about exactly what he'd be for us). Have Elo as ace, Buehrle at #2, Batista, #3, Wells #4, and Garland #5, and with this rotation where we have a solid staff all around and we aren't top heavy like last year, we never have to skip the #5 guy, and because of this, all get and equal amount of time starting and will virtually never get rusty, and we won't have to go through that Cotts-Wright-Porzio-Stewart type of debacle ever again(or so I hope).

Bullpen - the obvious unload Billy Koch is here. What I do with him is trade him to whatever taker we got and give them $1 mill or maybe $1.5 mill and we get a solid prospect or two. I'm thinking trade him to the Mets for David Weathers, like what was planned earlier, and then give them another $500K or $1 mill. Either that or involve him in the Yankee trade I speak of below. That takes care of the middle reliever. I then have Marte as the lefty setup guy, Wunsch as another lefty reliever, resign Sully to a 2 or 3 year extension, sign Chad Fox to a 3 year $5 or $6 mill deal, and then bring in someone else to be the mop-up/swingman type, whether it be in the organization or someone brought in from outside.

Offensively, I ship Maggs to either LA, New York, or elsewhere, and I get very good things in return. What I would personally do is trade him to the Yanks with a solid prospect and maybe Koch for Karsay....Karsay was out all of last year with an injury, but I believe he makes less then Koch, so one might think Koch has a better chance of turning it around then Karsay does. Also, I'd think about adding a prospect or two and also getting Jon Lieber. He's coming off of Tommy John surgery, but sometimes pitchers come back stronger when that occurs(and other times, they don't). So I could see like a Maggs, Koch, Diaz, Ginter, and maybe Borchard and maybe a guy like Gload or someone else for Soriano, Johnson, Karsay, and Lieber. That move most likely would not happen and it would be more like Maggs, Diaz, and Ginter for Soriano and Johnson, but it is just a suggestion. It almost completely depletes our AA and AAA team of anything major league ready, but could pay bigtime dividends in the end. And then what I do next is trade Konerko to LA for the absolute best we can get, and KW can't be a dumbass and try to hardball it. If he can get 2 top 10 prospects from the LA, I am pleased. Hell if he can get 1 top 10 prospect and another top 20 prospect, I'd be pretty happy. And for common sense sake, I'll say he gives LA $2 mill, because Dan Evans would have to be more then a dumbass to take on Konerko for $8 mill a year. So at this point, we have Olivo and Alomar back at C, Johnson at 1B, Soriano at 2B, Valentin at SS, Crede at 3B, Lee in LF, Harris in CF, and Rowand in RF, and Thomas DH's.

For the bench, I try to resign Graffy, if he wants more then $2.5 mill, I say thanks, but no thanks, then sign Denny Hocking(who I believe is a FA....correct me if I'm wrong). I resign Sandy, and if he either doesn't want to resign or retires, I sign a guy like Flaherty or Mayne, etc. Then I trade for Orlando Palmeiro on the Cards, since I assume he is available because he is a bench player and could be had pretty easily for maybe Ginter or Diaz. I'd have Aaron Miles be the utility IF and someone like Gload or someone else brought in from outside(like Daubach or even another go around with Jeff Liefer, someone like that) to be a 1B/3B/OF type.

Starters... Ponson to replace Colon; rotation of Loz, Buerhle, Ponson, Garland, Wright.

Relief... Resign Sullivan; sign Hasegawa (trade Koch if we do); designate roles for each reliever.

Fielders... Sign Jose Cruz Jr to play RF; trade Magglio for a CF and some kids who are ready for the big leagues; trade for Ramon Vasquez from the Padres to play SS; trade Jose or move him to 2B.

Starters-

#1- Millwood -or- Colon

#4 or #5- Freddy Garcia

Relievers-

Any 1 of:

L. Hawkins

S. Sullivan

U. Urbina

Any 1 of:

K. Ligtenberg

A. Osuna

A. Rhodes

S. Kline

S. Hasagewa

Hitters-

Tejada

Soriano(Maggs trade)

Jose Guillen(if we trade Maggs)

M. Cameron

Catcher: We're fine

1st Base: Trade Konerko to some takers, and move Frank back to 1st.

DH: Re-sign Everett for DH, if he does accept to accept less money.

2nd Base: Let Ozzie work with Willie, and use him there, if that fails, use Graf there for the year.

SS: Trade Jose to some takers, and sign Kazuo Matsui.

3B: Crede. hopefully gonna be a stud.

LF: Lee, gonna be a stud.

CF: Rowand, I believe he should get his once and for all fair shot now, he's all recorvered from that bike accident.

RF: Reed, trade Ordonez to any takers. If he fails, move Everett out here, put Frank back at DH, and put Graffanino at 1st.

Trading Jose, PK, and Ordonez could land some good pitching, all the aforementioned wishes dont require trading to accomplish, just some signing.

But the pitching staff I would like to have for 2004 would be:

1. Esteban Loaiza

2. Bartolo Colon

3. Kevin Millwood

4. Mark Buerhle

5. Jon Garland

Now is that a kickass picthing staff, or what? And none of THESE guys require trading.

The Relief Crew I would like:

LR- Danny Wright/Scott Schoeneweis

MR- Marte

MR- Sullivan

MR- Wuncsh

MR- Hawkins

CP- Koch, keep Koch, experiment again, I wouldn't give up so quickly. ANything can happen.

Now, all of that lineup doesn't require trading, so the trades of Jose, Maggs, and PK can go to acquiring some kickass young prospects.

Also, this shouldn't require JR to spend too much cash.

Now if you REALLY want to get me dreaming....

C- Sign Pudge.

1B- Nick Johnson from the Yankees.

DH- Frank

2B- Alfonso Soriano from the Yankees.

SS- Kazuo Matsui

RF- Ichiro, he leaves the Mariners (read some article on him not liking the way Seattle does business) and signs with us.

CF- Reed/Rowand

LF- Lee

Pitching:

1. Loaiza

2. Colon

3. Millwood

4. Buerhle

5. Garland

Relief:

Same as above.

Now if that team doesn't win some World Series', I don't know what will.

Who's Mark...??

Our " Ace "

Oh Buehrle, well I don't figure on him going anywhere. I would like to see the Sox give him a long term deal though. Buehrle is gonna be here for a while, I firmly believe that. I don't buy into this deal him to St. Louis crap and if we are, we'll do it during his last season here. He's relatively cheap, very good, and very young...I'll take my chances and see if he wants to stick around.

My Wish list.. Jerry sells the team...

Other than that and Seriously i want Balance.. I hope i don't sound like San Smith..

Sign Bartolo and another pitcher Brian Anderson or Jason Johnson would be Ok if we can't pickup Perez.

Trade Konerko and Jose to the Dodgers for Perez and Mota.

Trade Koch to the Mets for Weathers, Pickup some cash but get a Prospect, Scott Kashmir could do

Trade Maggs to Bean Town for Nomah and Sign Nomah to an Extention

Sign Spiezio and Castillo

Sign another power arm, Leskanic or Hawkins(Pipe Dream)

Lineup

Castillo 2B

Reed RF

Thomas DH

Nomah SS

Lee LF

Crede 3B

Spiezio 1B

Rowand CF

Olivo C

Bench -

Miles

Gload

Rivera/Alomar

Harris

Rotation and Pen

Colon

Mark B

Loaiza

Perez

Garland

Bullpen

Leskanic/Hawkins

Wunsch

Weathers

Mota

Showenweiss

Majewski

Rauch (Out of Opts)

Cotts stays in the minors and could come up in the middle of the season to help

I now Payroll could go up but we would save some on Maggs, Konerko and Koch and Would have some more balance and Speed, plus ths infield would be really good on D

:bringit

In a perfect world this is what would happen.

Trades

Trade Konerko, Valentin, and cash(we will say about 4M, so they essential get Valentin for 1M) to LA for Perez - LA gets some much needed offense and only adds about 5M in salary, and the Sox get rid of some payroll and pick up a decent starter.

Trade Maggs to NYY for Johnson - This would only happen if the Yankees don't sign Sheffield. I really like Johnson more then I like Soriano at this point, plus this move saves the Sox about 13M.

Trade a decent young pitcher(Wright/Diaz/Pacheco) to San Diego for Vazquez - The Sox would get a solid young SS, and San Diego gets some young pitching.

Trade Koch to NYM for Weathers - The Mets have turned down this deal, but if they take it the Sox would save about 3M and get a solid innings eater out of the pen.

Trade Wunsch to TBA for a cheap utility OF - Improve the bench by trading from a strength.

Signings

Sign Castillo for 4yr/28M

Sign Cameron for 3yr/21M

Sign Ponson for 3yr/21M

Sign Ligtenberg for 2yr/4M

Roster

1) Castillo(7M) 2B

2) Vazquez(500K) SS

3) CLee(6M) LF

4) Thomas(6M) DH

5) Johnson(1M) 1B

6) Cameron(7M) CF

7) Crede(500K) 3B

8) Rowand/Reed(400K) RF

9) Olivo(400K)

total = 28M

I would love this lineup. It would have a lot more speed and athletism with the additions of Castillo, Vazquez, Johnson, and Cameron. It also has more high OBP guys: Castillo has had a .360+ OBP in 4 out of the last 5 years, Vazquez has had a .340+ OBP the last 2 years, Johnson posted an impressive .422 OBP last year, and Cameron has posted a solid .340+ OBP each of the last 5 years. It would still have a good amount of power with 5 potential 20+ HR guys in the middle of the order. Defensively it would also be drasticly improved with the addition of 2 GG's along with improved D at SS and 1B.

LH Buehrle(3.5M)

RH Ponson(7M)

RH Loiaza(4M)

LH Perez(4M)

RH Garland(2.3M)

total = 21M

This staff would be solid 1-5 with really no true ace. It is possible that none of the 5 starters would post an ERA above 4.50, which would be very impressive. With the addition of Perez you would have 2 lefties, which I am a big fan of. This stuff is solid enough to take this team to the playoffs, especially if Loiaza doesn't revert back to his old ways.

RH Weathers(3M)

LH Marte(500K)

RH Ligtenberg(2M)

LH Munoz/Sanders(300K)

RH 2 from the group of Wright/Ginter/Rauch/Diaz/Majewski(1 of them would be part of the Vazquez deal)

total = 6.5M

The bullpen wouldn't be great, but you have 2 solid right handed relievers in Weathers and Ligtenberg, along with one of the more dominating lefties in Marte. Hopefully some of the young arms can flourish in the pen to make this a very good pen.

IF Miles(300K)

IF/CF Harris(400K)

C Alomar(500K)

1B/OF Gload(300K)

OF - part of Wunsch trade(500K)

total 2M

A young bench with little experience, however, they can't get much worse then last years unproductive bench.

Total payroll 28M + 21M + 6.5M + 2M + 4M(part of LA trade) = 61.5M

I think this is a fairly realistic team financially and personal wise. It would have the talent to contend for the division as well, and might even be the favorites with Minnesota cutting payroll. Truth is that I have no clue what this organization is doing or what direction they are heading. Lets hope they make some good moves and put together a solid contender.