Phil Rogers talks Colon, Matsui, Konerko trade

Loaiza21

Posted on Sat, Nov. 29, 2003

Colon may run out of options other than White Sox

BY PHIL ROGERS

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - (KRT) - Some Chicago White Sox fans want to believe Ken Williams was using gamesmanship when he said a month ago that Bartolo Colon had moved beyond the team's limited means. These stubborn souls believe Colon could wind up back with the Sox, where he is comfortable.

There's a very slim chance they are right too.

Club sources indicate the Sox cling to a hope that the pitching dominos will fall in a way that leads Colon back to Chicago, provided Williams can trim a salary or two so he can afford a $20 million rotation.

Recent developments have encouraged those in the Keep Colon movement, most notably Boston surfacing as the surprise winner of the Curt Schilling sweepstakes and Anaheim settling for Kelvim Escobar. Now the attention shifts to a pair of squirming Texans, who find themselves involved in one of the strangest dances of the off-season.

Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane doesn't really want to sign Andy Pettitte, not to the tune of $30 million over three years. He has been losing money for years on a team that never has gotten past the first round of the playoffs.

Even after trading Billy Wagner, he's already on the hook for about $55 million in 2004 to eight players, including $36 million to Jeff Bagwell, Richard Hidalgo and Jeff Kent.

McLane wants another $10 million salary like he wants a dip in the price of Wal-Mart stock. But he engaged in a bit of face-saving posturing by meeting with Pettitte, who pitched for the Houston area's Deer Park High School and San Jacinto Junior College. He wanted to create the impression he was interested without following through.

McLane figured he could stick his toe in the water without getting wet because Pettitte is sure to get a better offer from the New York Yankees. The thing McLane didn't figure on is how badly Laura Pettitte wants to become a year-round resident of the Houston area.

According to some who know the Pettittes, the pitcher is getting pressure to try to hammer out a deal with the Astros, who have teased their fans with the possibility. Pettitte is comfortable in New York and doesn't have the kind of ego that returning as a hometown savior would feed. But he is a family man who could yield to pressure to stay home, no matter what the Yankees offer.

Those in the Keep Colon movement hope that George Steinbrenner finds a way to re-sign Pettitte. If Pettitte does stay in New York, the market for Colon seemingly would be reduced to Philadelphia, Baltimore and, if they can find a make the money work, the White Sox.

With Schilling gone the Phillies are making a push to re-sign Kevin Millwood. You would have to wonder how attractive either of those Eastern markets would be for Colon, who has spent most of his career in the Midwest.

But, then again, don't be sure the Yankees will be satisfied with just re-signing Pettitte. That only gives them Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Jeff Weaver, Jose Contreras and Jon Lieber under control.

Some believe Steinbrenner's appetite, and budget, would keep him interested in signing Colon and trading for Montreal's Javier Vazquez. It's also possible the Yankees will try to get David Wells to accept a minor-league contract loaded with incentives.

For the moment the Yankees appear to be preoccupied with completing a deal with Gary Sheffield to fill their hole in right field, where Karim Garcia played during the postseason.

Change of agents: Since Kerry Wood was a senior at Grand Prairie (Texas) High School, Alan and Randy Hendricks have represented him. But there will be new faces across the table when Cubs general manager Jim Hendry opens negotiations on a contract extension next month.

The Hendricks brothers recently left SFX, the mega-agent firm that had merged with them a few years ago. Wood opted to remain with SFX, who will have agents Greg Landry, Pat Rooney and Arn Tellem represent him.

Under the Hendricks' direction, Wood signed only one-year contracts with the Cubs. That puts him one year away from free agency. The club expects to sign him to an extension, but it will be a complicated negotiation. Wood has been an ace at times but never has won more than 14 games in a season.

The Cubs' pitching depth makes a trade conceivable, but it's hard to see how a top contender could let such a talent go. If Wood doesn't sign a multiyear contract, he could be headed for an ugly arbitration case and a year of questions about his status, which will a distraction for manager Dusty Baker's team.

Looking East: The Dodgers, who are sitting on a Paul Konerko offer from the White Sox, are considering signing South Korean slugger Seung-Yeop Lee to fill their hole at first base.

Lee, 27, is known as "the Lion King." He set an Asian record with 56 homers last season for the Samsung Lions but has not excited scouts during spring-training visits to the Cubs and Marlins camps.

"The Dodgers have always been pioneers internationally," GM Dan Evans said. "We're not afraid to take a risk. ... We're weighing the risk-reward factor."

The Dodgers also are kicking the tires on shortstop Kazuo Matsui but are unlikely to have the resources to win a major bidding war while their ownership transfer is pending approval. The Yankees, Seattle, Anaheim, Baltimore, San Francisco and the Mets are among those interested in Matsui, who has indicated he would move to second base to play alongside Derek Jeter.

He's a switch-hitting speedster who could help either Chicago team, but there have been no signs of interest.

Doing the math: For the second year in a row, Pythagorean standings (a Bill James tool that uses runs scored and runs allowed to figure expected victories and losses) show the White Sox, not the Twins, should have won the AL Central.

In 2002 and `03, the Sox outscored their opponents by 134 runs and were 10 games above .500; the Twins were 45 games above .500 while outscoring their opponents by 99 runs. No wonder Ron Gardenhire outlasted Jerry Manuel.

For what it's worth, the 2003 Pythagorean standings show the Cubs should have finished third in the NL Central, behind Houston and St. Louis. It suggests manager Jimy Williams cost the Astros eight victories and Tony La Russa cost St. Louis four while Baker was a plus-two.

It also shows Seattle would have won the AL West if Bob Melvin had not cost it six victories. The biggest gain was_surprise!_the plus-seven by Cincinnati managers Bob Boone and Dave Miley, who went 69-93 with a team that deserved to lose 100.

Whispers: Look for Miley to get the Reds' job on a permanent basis. Manuel is among the four finalists in that job search. ... Florida has only one more week to negotiate a new contract with Ivan Rodriguez because it agreed not to offer salary arbitration when it signed him to a one-year contract. He reportedly is looking for five years at $10 million a year but will wind up once again being a bargain for someone. ... The Derrek Lee trade makes it likely the Marlins will re-sign Luis Castillo and Mike Lowell, with Jeff Conine and Hee Seop Choi sharing first base and Miguel Cabrera remaining in right field. ... La Russa sees Albert Pujols as a full-time first baseman after trading Tino Martinez to Tampa Bay. The Cardinals are looking to sign a left fielder who can hit at the top of the order. They also would like to use the $1.5 million they saved in the Martinez deal to re-sign Mike DeJean as a setup man.

Tampa Bay is not done with significant moves. The Devil Rays have made a two-year offer to reliever Tom Gordon and want to sign one proven hitter from a group that includes Juan Gonzalez, Reggie Sanders, Jose Cruz Jr., Rondell White and Brad Fullmer. ... While the United States won't have a baseball team in the 2004 Olympics, some Americans will be playing for different countries. Among those is Chicago's Erik Pappas, a former Cubs and Cardinals catcher who will be on the Greek team put together by Orioles owner Peter Angelos. White Sox second baseman Aaron Miles is also a possibility for that team, which only requires that one of your grandparents was born in Greece. ... The Blue Jays have not begun talking about an extension with Carlos Delgado, who is eligible for free agency after 2004.

Looking East: The Dodgers, who are sitting on a Paul Konerko offer from the White Sox, are considering signing South Korean slugger Seung-Yeop Lee to fill their hole at first base.

Lee, 27, is known as "the Lion King." He set an Asian record with 56 homers last season for the Samsung Lions but has not excited scouts during spring-training visits to the Cubs and Marlins camps.

"The Dodgers have always been pioneers internationally," GM Dan Evans said. "We're not afraid to take a risk. ... We're weighing the risk-reward factor."

I sure hope LA's not risky.

That is encouraging, however I still think Bartolo will end up in New York. King George has probably gone apes*** now with the addition of Schilling, and if the Red Sox trade for A-Rod than it looks as if King George will overpay for Bartolo's services.

We've seen it before, and unfortunately we're more than likely to see it again.

CWSOX45

There is no way A-rod gets traded to Boston. It just wont happen. I do like the way the article sounds, but I think its so s***ty that basically KW is sittting by the phone, praying and waiting for the phone to ring that Bart wants to come back, rather than getting up, and grabing the bull by the balls.

I dunno, I think there is a possibility of A-Rod going to Boston. Epstein shows he wants to win. Last I heard it would be a three way trade involving Anaheim, Boston and the Rangers.

Boston would get A-Rod, Rangers would get Ramirez and pitching prospects, and Anaheim would get Nomar. Not sure how much the Rangers would pay for the remainder A-Rod's contract.

All three of these clubs have money to spend, and they all want to win.

I think it's still possible, even though it is considered unlikely. I think that it might just happen.

CWSOX45

Oh I'm not talking about getting Matsui.  I just want this Konerko deal to still go through.  Konerko's not terrible, but he's a bit overpayed for what he does.  Offensive minded 1B are quite easy to find now a days.

I gotcha, if there is one guy that will take Konerko it would be the Dodgers and Danny Evans. Konerko was their number one pick in the draft several years ago.

I hope we can get this deal done as well.

CWSOX45

I gotcha, if there is one guy that will take Konerko it would be the Dodgers and Danny Evans.  Konerko was their number one pick in the draft several years ago.

I hope we can get this deal done as well.

CWSOX45

The Konerko trade might happen, but remember that even though PK was a Dodger first round pick he never produced and they traded him to Cincy. He didn't produce at Cincy and we had the Cameron for Konerko trade. Paulie showed his ability in a Sox uniform till last years fiasco. A trade of O. Perez for Konerko might be good for both teams, but if we keep Paulie that might be alright too. Hopefully he will rebound and hit .300, 30-35 HRS and 110 RBI's.

It will be very interesting if the Dodgers bite on the Konerko deal. I don't think they will make any deal for Konerko until Richie Sexson is officially of the market (Which will happen when he is finally dealt). Once that happens, you may just see the Dodgers bite on the trade.

As far as Matsui, I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox got into the sweepstakes if he stuck around for a while, especially if Jose does get sent somewhere.

There is no way A-rod gets traded to Boston. It just wont happen. I do like the way the article sounds, but I think its so s***ty that basically KW is sittting by the phone, praying and waiting for the phone to ring that Bart wants to come back, rather than getting up, and grabing the bull by the balls.

I disagree, I think it is 50/50 he goes to Boston They have a gm that gets there man , something the White Sox do not.

Konerko is at least a PROVEN commodity. The Dodgers would be crazy to take a chance on someone who isn't a proven major-league hitter (Seung-Yeop Lee). Their offense struggles as it is. Come on, Dan, just pick up Konerko and do us all a favor.

It will be very interesting if the Dodgers bite on the Konerko deal.  I don't think they will make any deal for Konerko until Richie Sexson is officially of the market (Which will happen when he is finally dealt).  Once that happens, you may just see the Dodgers bite on the trade.

I'm seeing things on CBS Sportsline saying that Sexson will end up being dealt to the DBacks from the Brewers after all.

Report: Diamondbacks to Acquire Slugger Sexson

Brewers Will Land Spivey, Overbay, Counsell, Capuano

CHICAGO (Nov. 29) -- It appears the Arizona Diamondbacks will be getting the slugger they have coveted.

Getty Images

Richie Sexson crushed 45 homers and drove in 124 runs last season.

According to radio broadcasts in Chicago, the Diamondbacks have agreed to a five-player trade with the Milwaukee Brewers that will bring power-hitting first baseman Richie Sexson to Arizona.

After clearing room on the payroll by shipping high-priced right-hander Curt Schilling to Boston on Friday, Arizona would send second baseman Junior Spivey, first baseman Lyle Overbay, versatile infielder Craig Counsell and left-hander Chris Capuano to the Brewers.

The trade is expected to be completed Monday after the players complete physicals, the radio station reported Saturday.

Lacking punch in the middle of their lineup beyond Luis Gonzalez, the Diamondbacks gladly would welcome Sexson, who matched a career high with 45 home runs last season, two behind National League leader Jim Thome.

The 6-foot-8 slugger played every game for the Brewers in 2003, hitting .272 and driving in 124 runs, one shy of his career best.

Drafted by Cleveland in 1993, the 28-year-old Sexson owns a .273 career average with 191 homers and 593 RBI in 813 games.

The Brewers, who were ordered by the team's board of directors to trim the payroll this offseason, would have a new look on the infield as a result of the trade.

Spivey, 28, was one of several Diamondbacks to miss time due to injury last season. Sidelined for 31 games with a sprained ankle, he batted .255 with 13 homers and 50 RBI in 106 games.

The 2003 campaign was a disappointment compared to Spivey's breakout season the year before, when he hit .301 with 15 homers and 78 RBI and made the National League All-Star team.

Milwaukee hopes the 33-year-old Counsell brings his World Series magic to Miller Park. After scoring the series-winning run for Florida in 1997, Counsell was hit by a pitch to load the bases in the ninth inning of Game 7 in 2001, setting up Gonzalez's championship-winning single.

Counsell, who has played all four infield positions during his career, missed 53 games in 2003 after undergoing right thumb surgery. He batted .234 with three homers and 21 RBI in 89 games.

In 658 contests with Colorado, Florida, Los Angeles and Arizona, Counsell has a .266 career average with 16 homers and 188 RBI.

Given a chance to wrestle the first base job away from Mark Grace, Overbay was unable to produce and was sent to Triple-A Tucson in July. The 26-year-old was recalled in September and finished the season with a .276 average, four homers and 28 RBI in 86 games.

Capuano, 25, made his major league debut in 2003, going 2-4 with a 4.64 ERA in nine games, including five starts. The left-hander, who was an eighth-round selection in the 1999 draft, rebounded from Tommy John surgery, which he underwent in May 2002.

11-29-03 17:39 ET

Evans is probably the worst GM in baseball.

for those of us who endured a few years of "it should have been Evans and not KW" this is nice to read

not that I am saying KW is that berry barry good but he is getting better

for those of us who endured a few years of "it should have been Evans and not KW" this is nice to read

not that I am saying KW is that berry barry good but he is getting better

What ever happened to the Berry/Barry that KW really wanted?

I still rip on Kenny a lot, but it's more out of frustration than actual hatred.

I'm honestly teetering on the fence about Kenny. Some things he does make me happy and ecstatic - and I give credit where it's due. But, some things he does make me think he's the biggest moron walking on Earth.

This offseason will really tell a lot about him one way or the other.

That being said, I still have little faith in him to do things right. BUT, I would never be happier to be proven wrong than I would be if he assembled an actual "grinding" contender that is competitve AND fun to watch.

It's been a long time. Congrats to the M's for making 2003 a bearable year for SOX fans. I mean that in more ways than one.

Let's look at the top 5 price-wise position players on the SOX in terms of what I call

the money stat: (R+RBI)/AB

Slownerko: (03 looks like a snag. Expect > .300 in 04)

career: .306, 00: .316, 01: .328, 02: .325, 03: .257

Lee (Is 04 the yr he > .400?)

career: .323, 00: .347, 01: .285, 02: .329, 03: .342

Maggs ( .425 looks like a fluke, but .350 is expected)

career: .349, 00: .388, 01: .354, 02: .425, 03: .320

Val (consistently > 30% over past 4 yrs)

career: .310, 00: .350, 01: .304, 02: .324, 03: .306

Thomas (.346 avg over past 4 yrs including 01)

career: .400, 00: .443, 01: .265*, 02: .323, 03: .352

* - only 68 ab's

A lot of SOX fans undermine the value of Thomas' presence in the lineup.

But this money stat says it all. Even with his worst in 01 with less than 100 ab's his 4 yr avg is nearly as good as Maggs. On top of that his 03 avg was the best of the 5.

He's still a good buy at 6MIL.

Which is the best price vs performance buy based avg projections & 04 prices?

Slownerko .0382/mil

Lee .0430/mil

Maggs .0249/mil

Val .0620/mil

Thomas .0577/mil

Maggs is clearly not a good buy. He would need to put up a .549 just to equal Slownerko's value. You can clearly see why Val is a reasonable buy.

Crede

career: .274, 03: .263

When you look at Crede's numbers it makes Lee's that much more valuable.

How does Maggs compare to other big $$$ players?

Manny Ramirez

career: .419, 03: .388, .0216/mil

A-Rod

career: .400, 03: .399, .0177/mil

Delgado

career: .390, 03: .460, .0255/mil

Giambi

career: .383, 03: .381, .0293/mil

Funny how the Yanks get the best price/performance of the big sluggers.

Still if I was going to buy a player for the future it would be Delgado.

The "money stat", when divided by the amount of money a player makes, is obviously biased. A guy who makes the league minimum and hits .250 with 10 HR is somehow better than a player who makes 15 million and hits 40 HRs a year. This stat may be good for small market teams such as Oakland or, sadly, us. For the rest of the league, the stat is completely worthless.

True the first couple moves KW did kind of stunk; however, you have to give him a little credit. KW does a hell of a job with the resources and money he's getting (which is about nothing, though you all knew that). I mean look at last year; he brought in Colon for Leifer and Biddle. Not too shabby if you ask me. The Everett and Alomar deals really worked too. Just the level we underachieved at during the first half killed us. I don't think we can put much blame on KW for that.