Uribe

Jim Fainter

I'm not able to check the board every day, but I have seen verry little here on Senor Uribe.

The Denver papers have put a very positive spin on the trade from the Rockies' standpoint. It appears that, barring a trade or FA signing, which is unlikely, second base and leadoff is Aaron Miles' job to lose going into Spring Training.

I'm pretty sure Uribe will beat out Jose in ST.

same here and his .230 average, 20 errors, which always seem to happen at key points in the ball game and plus 100 strikeouts. He should be gone, especially making 5 million for what he does. I would rather have Uribe starting than Jose, even if Jose is with the Sox. But, I can't see Guillen and Kenny dissing a veteran like that.

Jose Valentin will be the Sox starting SS on opening day and most likely we will see Wilie Harris at 2B. Uribe is the new Tony Graffanino. Valentin deserves to be the SS and Willie apparently will get his chance to show us what he has or doesn't have. I don't see Alomar, R back with the team next year and that's not a good thing.

But who would take Jose and his $5MM baggage?

I think the Dodgers, maybe Angels, Padres are just a few possible suitors. I'd even list the Orioles as a possibility. Jose will have value. A lot of teams are looking for shortstops and won't get their guy.

Actually the Rockies could be a pretty good possibility if they miss out on Aurilla. Don't know how much money they are looking to add, but Jose would put up some pretty sick numbers in Coors, is signed cheap and would be more then willing to work with a youngster.

The Rocks have some good outfielders they could give us or maybe Jose Jimenez (Not sure how much he makes) . You could do a Payton for Jose swap (Don't know if that would happen...but you never know).

Bottomline, Jose is overpaid, but there aren't many shortstops capable of putting up his production (power wise).

I'm not able to check the board every day, but I have seen verry little here on Senor Uribe.

The Denver papers have put a very positive spin on the trade from the Rockies' standpoint.  It appears that, barring a trade or FA signing, which is unlikely, second base and leadoff  is Aaron Miles' job to lose going into Spring Training.

I'm pretty sure Uribe will beat out Jose in ST.

Wow, if this is the case, than Colorado is in a worse state then the Sox. I am sure that they will love Miles no walk, no speed, questionable bat at the top of the order. To top it off they will have to put up with his terrible defense too. It won't take them long to realize that Miles is a utility infielder at best.

same here and his .230 average, 20 errors, which always seem to happen at key points in the ball game and plus 100 strikeouts.  He should be gone, especially making 5 million for what he does.  I would rather have Uribe starting than Jose, even if Jose is with the Sox.  But, I can't see Guillen and Kenny dissing a veteran like that.

OK, totally forget to mention EVERYTHING Jose does well, yet list the negatives. He hits 25 homers a year, is an excellent baserunner, has pretty damn good range, a very strong arm(but occassionally erratic), and hits well during opportune times. Sure he'll make 20 errors a year, but he won't lead the league(unlike Furcal who had I believe 30 some errors, or about 1 every 5 games). Sure he'll hit .240-.250(the last time Jose hit .230 or below for a full year was 1998, when he hit .224 for Milwaukee).

I don't know about anyone else, but if Uribe started over Jose, I would be quite offended. Jose is a much bigger force then Uribe is, undoubtedly.

...The Rocks have some good outfielders they could give us or maybe Jose Jimenez (Not sure how much he makes) .  You could do a Payton for Jose swap (Don't know if that would happen...but you never know)...

Jiminez made in neighborhood of $3.6 mil last year, and is a free agent.

Jiminez made in neighborhood of $3.6 mil last year, and is a free agent.

I should really pay attention to these things. Chalk him down as the type of player i wouldn't mind seeing the Sox go after. I know he struggled last season, but he has great stuff, has had sucess in Coors field and has closer experience. I bet you can get him for quite a bit less then he got last season.

I should really pay attention to these things.  Chalk him down as the type of player i wouldn't mind seeing the Sox go after.  I know he struggled last season, but he has great stuff, has had sucess in Coors field and has closer experience.  I bet you can get him for quite a bit less then he got last season.

2-10...I'd say ya could get him for cheaper. They tried him as a starter last year. I would love him as a middle reliever here.

IMHO, Ozzie is going to try to have a team very similar to the one he just left. I personally think he'll give Willie every chance to fail or succeed in CF.

I think that Ozzie looks at Rowand as a 4th outfielder, not a starter. That being said, we will still need a 2B. Willie would be brutal as an everyday 2B, IMO.

In CF, he would have less chance for failure. And I think that is just where we will see him next year.

This team is nothing like the Marlins. Their leader was their catcher, our catcher is a youngster. Their 1B was a GG, ours is a turtle and has less range then a sloth. They had a 2B, we, um, don't. They had a guy was atleast known in CF, we have unproven guys fighting it out. They had a top closer, we have Marte -- who is a stud, but I would rather see him come in in tight spots.

But Ozzie is still not of that mindset. I still think he believes that he can create "The Marlins II." Whether that is feasible or not doesn't matter.

I truly believe that he thinks he can just put players of the same "style" in the same lineup as he had in Florida and they will perform just like what he dealt with.

Yes, that mindset is flawed and unrealistic on several levels, but Ozzie is a "green" rookie, and I don't know if he can cleanse his mind of that outlook.

I see what you're saying. I am not sure what to expect. The problem I think we will have with Oz, is it's his first time through. I have a feeling you are right, and we won't have the guys to do that style. AL Central is not the NL East. I do see where you are coming from.

IMHO, Ozzie is going to try to have a team very similar to the one he just left.  I personally think he'll give Willie every chance to fail or succeed in CF. 

I think that Ozzie looks at Rowand as a 4th outfielder, not a starter.  That being said, we will still need a 2B.  Willie would be brutal as an everyday 2B, IMO. 

In CF, he would have less chance for failure.  And I think that is just where we will see him next year.

How could Ozzie possibly have an informed opinion on Rowand yet? He's been in the NL the whole time Rowand has been in the bigs.

But Ozzie is still not of that mindset.  I still think he believes that he can create "The Marlins II."  Whether that is feasible or not doesn't matter.

I truly believe that he thinks he can just put players of the same "style" in the same lineup as he had in Florida and they will perform just like what he dealt with.

Yes, that mindset is flawed and unrealistic on several levels, but Ozzie is a "green" rookie, and I don't know if he can cleanse his mind of that outlook.

I would rather this team be turned into a bunch of speedy scrappers who can get on base and play their butts off every nite, then the underachievin lets hit a homer every AB White Sox team we saw this year. And I think that's exactly what Ozzie's gonna try to mold this team into, Willie Harris and Juan Uribe in the infield prove that theory.

I read somewhere that the Rockies, believe it or not, are interested in Clayton for their shortstop. Yuck.

Yeah and his Clayton's agent said even though that the Rockies have payroll problems, they'll make it financially viable for Royce to play there. Well at least his agent ain't Scott Boras. :lol: