Tejada Signs a 6-year, 54 million deal with Balt.

maggsmaggs

Six years??? At 54 Million dollars wow. His agent just made a killing for this guy who did not really have a great 2003 season. I wonder how much of the money is guaranteed/deferred. This makes me more worried that we are gonna make a terrible deal with Seattle and well I should stop speculating. I think Baltimore is the Chicago Cubs of the AL. They spend a whole lot of money like the big boys but they haven't made a serious run in a few years.

C-Lee and Valentin prbably won't get Garcia and Winn, it owuld have to Maggs and Soriano instead of Winn, but if we deal Maggs we can have enough money to sign Ponson and adress other needs. If these deals happen we'll have a better staff than 2003:

Buerhle

Loiaza

Ponson

Garcia

Garland

WOW

This deal isn't horrible money wise, its horrible in the sense they have him for 6 years, so you have putting a lot of faith in him staying healthy and all that.

I do think this means Magglio to Mariners becomes a bigger possibility and I think you could definately say that Jose will now be the main target of teams looking for a shortstop. Teams can't sit and hope Nomar goes onto the market cause both owners seem to believe that they will not be able to pull off the Manny/Arod deal although that could just be them trying to be wise.

And for whoever said Lee/Jose couldn't get Garcia and Wynn I think your wrong. The Mariners are just trying to unload Garcia and would probably do it for Konerko. Lee could get the Sox Washburn with ease, although It wouldn't be horrible to see a Lee/Jose for Garcia and Wynn deal, if the Sox could add Guillen into that deal so they fill 3 needs.

Still, I'd probably prefer to trade Magglio and then sign Lee to a long term deal at a more affordable price, if possible. Then look to get Aubrey Huff.

Ok so they have corrected their numbers.  The $54 is guaranteed with another $11 million in incentives.  Most people arenow saying this is basically a $65 million deal although AP says it is $72 million!!  Either way that's a TON of money.

OK that is a BIG difference...$54 mil vs $72 mil? That is a 33% difference. I wonder where it actually lies...

1. With incentives, this deal is worth anywhere near 10-12 Mill a year. His defense is overrated (much closer to Valentin than he is to A-Rod), his baserunning very mediocre and he is coming off a year where pitchers learned how to piss him off and keep him off balance. 10-11 Mill is too much unless his RBI production is like 2002 every year for 6 years, which is highly unlikely you'd agree.

2. Valentin is signed to just 1 year. If it turns out he can hit LHP from the LH side (say, 670 OPS as opposed to 400 from RH in 2003) and his defense stays what it was from late May on (pretty damn good, only 9 errors and excellent peripherals), I would say Sox can resign for another season. If he doesn't, then it's bye-bye time.....There is no flexibility with Tejada.

3. Magglio is a FRANCHISE player, a perrenial AS, a HUGE name in an organization that is only known for Shoeless Joe, Frank Thomas and....Minnie f***ing Minoso! If it comes down to getting a cheap super-talent like Soriano, then of course pull the trigger. If Mike Cameron could have been had for under 4 Mill, then sure do that, too............. BUT if you're only gonna save a couple of mill and get weaker talent, then trading Maggs, as seemingly unsignable as he is beyond 2004, is a PR SUICIDE.

Tejada receives a $12 million signing bonus, with $4 million payable in 2004 and $2 million each in 2005, 2006, 2010 and 2011.

He receives yearly salaries of $3 million in 2004, $9 million in 2005, $10 million in 2006, $12 million in 2007, $13 million in 2008 and $13 million in 2009.

Tejada made $5 million last season and $3.65 million in 2002.