Gammons Winter Meet.Update

ihatethecubs

It would be wicked if Williams dealt Maggs for Nomar.

Ā 

Then LA would pretty much have to accept our 4 or 5 for 1 proposals.

Ā 

If not we keep Nomar, or try and get Angels and Dodgers into bidding war.

Ā 

Or more than likely Red Sox will ask what the White Sox want for Maggs from the dodgers, then get it for Nomar and trade it for Maggs.

Ā 

Who knows just speculation.

Ā 

SB

It would be wicked if Williams dealt Maggs for Nomar.

Ā 

Then LA would pretty much have to accept our 4 or 5 for 1 proposals.

Ā 

If not we keep Nomar, or try and get Angels and Dodgers into bidding war.

Ā 

Or more than likely Red Sox will ask what the White Sox want for Maggs from the dodgers, then get it for Nomar and trade it for Maggs.

Ā 

Who knows just speculation.

Ā 

SB

What makes you think this discussion is about trading maggs for Nomar. That is has never been discussed

Quickman,

Ā 

Through various rumors around the web the following things are pretty much a given by the 3 teams interested:

Ā 

1) LA is looking for a bat, Nomar and Maggs appear to be their 2 top interests.

Ā 

2) The Red Sox if they sign A-Rod will be looking to trade Nomar, and acquire a LF bat to replace Manny.

Ā 

3) The White Sox have a plethora of hitters that they are willing to trade for SP.

Ā 

LA has nothing the Red Sox really want, Sean Green probably does not really excite them, and besides for upper level talent the Dodgers have very few things that would actually help the Sox right now. The Sox will want to replace Nomar with offense, they already have upgraded their pitching staff, but can they count on Millar, Ortiz, to have career years again?

Ā 

With Nomar and Manny being replaced by A-Rod, the Sox lost a lot of offense, they will want something back. Whether it be a Lee level player or a Maggs.

Ā 

There are not many teams out there that can trade hitting for hitting with the Red Sox for Nomar, so they will have to take Pitching for Nomar and then try and pawn it off for hitting.

Ā 

The Red Sox are the perfect go between for the Sox and a pitching heavy team.

Ā 

The only questions is:

Ā 

What type of payroll are the Red Sox looking at, that will determine what level of player they are interested in.

Ā 

If the A-Rod Manny deal goes down, look for Maggs to start getting even more attention, a while ago several places had Nomar and damon for Koch/ maggs rumors, etc.

Ā 

Who knows what will happen, but the Red Sox will be looking the Sox way for talent if they move Manny and Nomar.

Ā 

SB

Quickman,

Ā 

Through various rumors around the web the following things are pretty much a given by the 3 teams interested:

Ā 

1) LA is looking for a bat, Nomar and Maggs appear to be their 2 top interests.

Ā 

2) The Red Sox if they sign A-Rod will be looking to trade Nomar, and acquire a LF bat to replace Manny.

Ā 

3) The White Sox have a plethora of hitters that they are willing to trade for SP.

Ā 

LA has nothing the Red Sox really want, Sean Green probably does not really excite them, and besides for upper level talent the Dodgers have very few things that would actually help the Sox right now. The Sox will want to replace Nomar with offense, they already have upgraded their pitching staff, but can they count on Millar, Ortiz, to have career years again?

Ā 

With Nomar and Manny being replaced by A-Rod, the Sox lost a lot of offense, they will want something back. Whether it be a Lee level player or a Maggs.

Ā 

There are not many teams out there that can trade hitting for hitting with the Red Sox for Nomar, so they will have to take Pitching for Nomar and then try and pawn it off for hitting.

Ā 

The Red Sox are the perfect go between for the Sox and a pitching heavy team.

Ā 

The only questions is:

Ā 

What type of payroll are the Red Sox looking at, that will determine what level of player they are interested in.

Ā 

If the A-Rod Manny deal goes down, look for Maggs to start getting even more attention, a while ago several places had Nomar and damon for Koch/ maggs rumors, etc.

Ā 

Who knows what will happen, but the Red Sox will be looking the Sox way for talent if they move Manny and Nomar.

Ā 

SB

WOW ... I give up.

Ā 

At this rate I'll never make it through the maze and get the cheese :lol:

The latest news out of Dallas is that the BOSOX may be able to meet Hick's financial demands but Hicks will have to part with more talent.

Ā 

Names mentioned to make up the extra $ the BOSOX would be paying:

Hank Blalock, Kevin Mench, Mark Texiera, Gerald Laird, Michael Young, & Laynce Nix.

Ā 

In otherwords Epstein & Henry are thinking, ok we'll pick up A-ROD's contract, & pay Manny's bonus but we're going to get talent equal to that bonus $ in return.

If you're thinking RF, that would be Laynce Nix. His most notable stat: 81 TB, 53 gms. That progresses to 250 TB/yr. That would be on par with Trot Nixon. All of the guys listed above are 1 or 2 yr players. So Boston would have them for at least 4 yrs. That makes Hick's demands much more reasonable.

Ā 

The other option is of course, A-ROD lowering his salary demands. If you're wondering how, it comes down to A-ROD's last 3 yrs. They are for all intended purposes option years. Not counting those years, the payouts between the 2 contracts are very close. What A-ROD is considering is re-structuring the contract so that the final 3 yrs are massive & guaranteed. This would allow Boston to pay Manny's bonus $.

Ā 

The final option is that, Boston doesn't pick up Manny's bonus but sends 2 prospects to Texas along with Manny. A combination of this & A-ROD's contract restructuring is what will probably get this done.

Ā 

If you're asking why, it's simple: A-ROD is willing to do whatever he can to go to Boston. Why is Boston willing to do this? Because Tejada's new contract avg'g 12MIL/yr, just put Nomar near the Jeter range for an extension. This is about 3-5MIL/yr Boston is willing to pay.

Ā 

Now that ANA has paid 48/4 for Colon, & is likely to pay big $$$ numbers to keep Anderson, Nomar is likely headed to the Dodgers. It's not likely they would be interested in Maggs for 14MIL after that.

Quickman,

Ā 

Then why dont you give us some scenarios for trades?

Ā 

I really enjoy reading what people think is going to happen because if you rule out the ignorant predictions, many people actually have accurate assesments of players.

Ā 

The GM of the Red Sox is Theo Epstien, the GM of the White Sox is Ken Williams,

Ā 

It is not like we are challanging ourselves against an Einstien, there is a great chance that many of the people that post here are as intelligent or more intelligent then many of the GMs in baseball.

Ā 

I would say most are atleast smart enough to recognize weakness and strengths, who is available and what needs will be met.

Ā 

SB

Quickman,

Ā 

Then why dont you give us some scenarios for trades?

Ā 

I really enjoy reading what people think is going to happen because if you rule out the ignorant predictions, many people actually have accurate assesments of players.

Ā 

The GM of the Red Sox is Theo Epstien, the GM of the White Sox is Ken Williams,

Ā 

It is not like we are challanging ourselves against an Einstien, there is a great chance that many of the people that post here are as intelligent or more intelligent then many of the GMs in baseball.

Ā 

I would say most are atleast smart enough to recognize weakness and strengths, who is available and what needs will be met.

Ā 

SB

Personally I would rather deal in reality not dreams. I am way too old to think up deals that will never come true.We can leave that bulls*** to the CBSsportsline page

Ā 

Here is some reality:

Ā 

The whitesox do not want to pay anyone 14 million whether its magglio or Nomar. Nomar will go to the Dodgers if they get Arod. I am certain all this has been worked out or the Arod deal won't happen. The Redsox won't take on Arod's salary and pay Manram before unloading Nomar. That would be dumb. He is not coming here.

Ā 

Magglio will either sign with the sox before July for less money or we will unload him if we are not in the playoffs.

Ā 

I would like to see Ponson come here. Apparently we have made an attempt.

Ā 

I have been on record that Garcia could come here, either for valentin or in some sort of package. That is rumor or speculation but fills the need and the money.

Ā 

I still beleive the Sox will look at Denny Hocking- No big deal there.

Ā 

I still think the Mets will go after Koch and the Sox will trade him. I don't really care who we get because I am more worried about unloading the money.

Ā 

I guess my message is; we have limitations both with money and managment. We need to understand this. So when I see the pie in the sky posts I tend to think nobody is paying attention.

I agree, and for the most part I am just posting theories of what trades the Sox should look for, and agree to.

Ā 

If they are going to trade Maggs now, it has to be an outstanding package, otherwise they can keep him and trade him at the All-Star break. Then when a team needs him, we can offer to pay a portion of the salary (which we already budgeted) and get prospects.

Ā 

Right now what I would like to see is one of the following situations:

Ā 

Koch being moved to get a Pavano.

Ā 

Valentine or Konerko being moved to get Garcia.

Ā 

Same as above for Perez.

Ā 

The only reason we can dream is that it is possible that a few teams really want Maggs, and when Vlad is off the market they will make a strong push for him.

Ā 

My belief is that if the Sox are going to trade Maggs, which I think is doubtful, it will have to be for a package that makes us stronger now, and in the future. Otherwise we can get much better prospects in July.

Ā 

SB