rumor

toasty

saw this on wsi, cant decide what to think

I talked to my Boston source briefly who happens to be very busy these days. As I pressed him for info, he said "Why are you going to put this on a message board?" I never posted before a couple weeks ago because I usually only get fringe Red Sox information which isn't important to most. He knows that I am a Wsox & Nomar fan, so I am getting more info than usual. I asked him why the WSox haven't been linked to any rumors involving Nomar and he said that KW and the WSox organization do a good job of keeping quiet. He also said that Boston is trying to keep the pursuit of Magglio quiet because they don't want the Yankees upping an offer for Ordonez and the only leaking of Nomar trade discussions came from the Dodger organization.

Don't forget that I was one of the first to state that Manny for Arod would happen.

Here is what is happening:

1. The Manny/Arod deal will happen. Boston may need to overpay for Arod because of the Nomar fiasco. The Dodgers or the White Sox could be a third team involved in this trade.

2. They will trade Nomar and receiving Maggs in return is their first choice; however, due to circumstances KW has a lot of work to do to consumate a trade.

3. KW could trade Magglio and some prospects for Nomar and Johnny Damon today, but he is unwilling to take on additional salary. He is trying to be creative in ways to dump salary (Konerko) to make this deal happen. Boston will move Damon's contract if they get Arod. The addition of Jose Valentin to Boston and a pitching prospect to Texas could get this done.

4. Peter Angelos & Keith Foulke have made things very difficult for KW. Baltimore's signing of Tejada has inflated Nomar's price. KW initially wanted to sign Nomar to a contract extension before making a trade. Nomar's new price could prevent this trade from happening. Foulke's signing with Boston eliminated Koch as an option for the Red Sox and they do not want Konerko.

5. Boston is hoping that the rivalry between KW and Dan Evans drives up the price for Nomar.

6. Most interesting of all is that my source thinks that the Sox may have agreed on a minor leaguer to trade to the Expos for Carl Everett if this all goes down.

I will keep posting as I hear info.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a time limit between when a player signs and when they can be traded (In regards to Everett).

Although I could see the point to the Red Sox acquiring Magglio, I don't know what they could offer other then Nomar to get him. Unless they get what the Sox want from the Dodgers in some type of 3 way deal.

The stuff makes a decent amount of sense though. Still, its soley a rumor.

I would love if Boston got involed and George stuck his nose into things though...cause the price would be sure to go up.

Isn't there a time limit between when a player signs and when they can be traded (In regards to Everett). 

Although I could see the point to the Red Sox acquiring Magglio, I don't know what they could offer other then Nomar to get him.  Unless they get what the Sox want from the Dodgers in some type of 3 way deal. 

The stuff makes a decent amount of sense though.  Still, its soley a rumor.

I would love if Boston got involed and George stuck his nose into things though...cause the price would be sure to go up.

That time limit thing I'm not sure about. I know they have one in the NBA if you sign someone who was not your own free agent. I am not sure about MLB.

the sox can not sign him till may, but no rule about aquring via trade... you see a fair amount of sign and trade deals now and then

If thats the case it would defiantely make sense. You had to wonder why the Expos would sign Everett...so maybe they did something like that, but its still very speculative.

All I know is Bruce Levine is reporting that the Sox are close to acquiring Carlos Guillen for Jose and Scott Williamson for Arnie Munoz and a few others. Can anyone verify that Levine is reporting this?

I'd hate to see Munoz go, but Williamson would be a big step up in the pen and well I'd love Guillen for Jose and it make a hell of a lot more sense for the Mariners then Guillen for Vizquel.

If thats the case it would defiantely make sense.  You had to wonder why the Expos would sign Everett...so maybe they did something like that, but its still very speculative. 

All I know is Bruce Levine is reporting that the Sox are close to acquiring Carlos Guillen for Jose and Scott Williamson for Arnie Munoz and a few others.  Can anyone verify that Levine is reporting this?

I'd hate to see Munoz go, but Williamson would be a big step up in the pen and well I'd love Guillen for Jose and it make a hell of a lot more sense for the Mariners then Guillen for Vizquel.

Jason, yes, Levine is reporting this.

Meaning, nothing is done, but there are serious negotiations going on.

He's saying Jose Valentin and "somebody" to Seattle for Guillen, although he also says Seattle is talking to Cleveland too. He also said the Sox are serious about Williamson from the Red Sox, and that the Red Sox are wanting Munoz and/or some others.

Basically, he (Levine) is saying the White Sox have LOTS of oars in the water right now.

So it's clear the White Sox are trying to get something done.

I think it is kind of funny that the Sox want to keep this quiet and the Red Sox want to keep it quiet "to keep the Yankees from stepping in". Yet, this guy who says is a huge White Sox fan and a big Nomar fan would blab it on a message board. To me, that seems to jeopardize the goals of the team and player he loves.

If it is BS, the guy is a blow hard. If there is truth to it, then he's an idiot for posting the info.

Jason, yes, Levine is reporting this.

Meaning, nothing is done, but there are serious negotiations going on.

He's saying Jose Valentin and "somebody" to Seattle for Guillen, although he also says Seattle is talking to Cleveland too.  He also said the Sox are serious about Williamson from the Red Sox, and that the Red Sox are wanting Munoz and/or some others.

Basically, he (Levine) is saying the White Sox have LOTS of oars in the water right now.

So it's clear the White Sox are trying to get something done.

Jim,

I am trying to understand. Why are they trying to get rid of guillen? Why take Valentin over guillen. I think guillen is very good. So what is the explanation for this?

I think it is kind of funny that the Sox want to keep this quiet and the Red Sox want to keep it quiet "to keep the Yankees from stepping in".  Yet, this guy who says is a huge White Sox fan and a big Nomar fan would blab it on a message board.  To me, that seems to jeopardize the goals of the team and player he loves.

If it is BS, the guy is a blow hard.  If there is truth to it, then he's an idiot for posting the info.

I'm pretty sure there really is no "keeping quiet" in MLB. I'm sure the Yankees know whats going on with this. Every aspect of the proposed ARod trade, and Nomar trade has been on every sports show, every sports section. The only part that hasn't, was the possible White Sox involvement. What kind of GM would KW be if he tried to trade Magglio to Boston and tried to keep it quiet from the Yankees? They may put together a better package for him than Boston, or at least make Boston increase their offer.

Holy s*** we are all losing our minds, I realize this is all fun and we want to see things happen. Is williamson in his last year? If so is munoz what we want to give?

Gullien I love that trade. I just don't understand it.

today we have no trades tommorrow the whole team can be gone.

What kind of GM would KW be if he tried to trade Magglio to Boston and tried to keep it quiet from the Yankees?

True, but KW is good at keeping things quiet

But if he told the Yankees he was going to trade Magglio to Boston, Steinbrenner may step in and make a better offer, or at least make Boston give up even more than they want.

But if he told the Yankees he was going to trade Magglio to Boston, Steinbrenner may step in and make a better offer, or at least make Boston give up even more than they want.

Or cause the whole deal to blow up and force the Red Sox to deal with another team than the Sox, leaving the Sox holding their johnsons.

Well until Arod is a Red Sox, there is no point making news of the Sox potentially landing Nomar or giving them Magglio.

If they did get Williamson and give up Munoz, it seems like the type of player that would be handed to Texas as a completion piece. I'd much rather see Jon Rauch dealt then Arnaldo Munoz. Munoz, 21, lefty and has some pretty dominant stuff. Then could the Sox work out a deal to get guys back in some sort of 3 way with the BoSox, Dodgers, and Sox or maybe they Sox just get Nomar and some cash or a prospect...who knows.

Williamson is a stud though. But acquiring Guillen for Jose is a right step. Guillen would fit very nicely in the 2 hole and he's a very solid player. That move also frees up a couple mill and gives the Sox some other options. I don't think the Sox would want to add someone plus jose for Guillen unless its a contract guy that the So are giving up and in that case why would the M's do it.

Or cause the whole deal to blow up and force the Red Sox to deal with another team than the Sox, leaving the Sox holding their johnsons.

If the Sox are getting what they want, then there isn't a point to risk getting just a little more but at the great risk or it blowing up in their faces. Now if everything is preliminary then you want some sort of leak.