Top 100 Minor League Prospects

SoxAce

Hi Everyone!!! Even know im new on this board i don't consider it. I've been a guest on this board since about Feb. 2003 so I know who is who pretty much. I know usually Rex Hudler post about Minor League Prospects but I just wanted to chat about my favorite one Jeremy Reed. I'm still gotta get use to the posting stuff but i hope i'll get it soon. So here it is http://www.theminorsfirst.com/tmf100/tmf100(2004).html by the way u guys rock!!! :headbang

Thanks and Welcome aboard. Its always great to have another Sox fan on the board, especially one interested in prospects. Right now Reed is my favorite prospect. Can't wait to see what he can do in spring training and well theres a good shot at one point this year he's gonna get his shot with the big club :headbang

Welcome aboard J.reedfan8. I see they ranked Rios above Reed cos of his stellar winter ball play. I'm suprised they ranked Bobby Crosby down so low, I saw he got Minor League Prospect of the Year sumwhere a few months ago I think.

Thanks for the list.  I had never seen that site before.

Honel listed at #63 and Cotts at #82.  Funny, if Cotts would not have started 4 games in Chicago, I guarantee he would have been in the top 30, if not top 20.

Not only that but if he had not made that trip up to the bigs they wouldn't have called him "a fringe major leaguer"...While he has never projected to be a #1 or even a #2, to call him a fringe major leaguer is, I think, an insult. 6 months ago they would have called this kid a #3, and now they question his ability to even make the big leagues.

This guy is good --- look at this synopsis from the 2001 list

60. Drew Henson- 3B CIN 21yo

The biggest reason for me dropping Henson down this far if plain and simple... Football! His ability has been described as the type that could make him one of the best third basemen ever. But with his refusal to concentrate solely on baseball, I feel he's really setting back his development quite a bit. In fact, I even have a sneaking suspicion that football will be his ultimate choice and being an NFL quarterback will seem too appealing to pass up.

im sick of borchard.....

dont want to be harsh,but a-row is better and joe hasnt proven anything to me

hope he gets better but i dont think he will

Borchard hasn't proven anything yet, you are right.

But if Joe reaches his full potential, he is one of the best hitters in the majors, period. He shortens up that swing, and he could become a .275 45 125 type player, maybe even better. He has LTP. And with limited experience before being drafted, I like his chances even more.

IIRC, Todd Helton got drafted by Colorado as a very raw but very talented baseball player at 22, but gave him time to develop because he had little playing experience(because I know he was a QB at Tennessee and I believe he was at one time a backup to Peyton Manning). They gave him a few years to develop and I believe he hit the bigs at 26 or 27, and was an offensive force to be reckoned with and hit .360 one year, or something very close to it. Vernon Wells had a very similar path to the big leagues in Toronto(though he made it earlier age-wise), and he's only hitting 40 homers and driving in 130 runs now a days while playing some rock solid CF.

I am not giving up on Borchard yet.....not even close.

Only three prospects on the list is not a good sign for the future. Milwaukee

appeares to be loaded. It would be good for another competitive team to play in

the Midwest market. keep in mind while this fan is obviously knowledgable, he is

not a scout, and has never worked in player development, not that scouts and

player development personnel are always correct. Maggs was left exposed in the

Rule V draft in 1996. His views and analysis techniques seem to be

similar to John Sickels.

Only three prospects on the list is not a good sign for the future. Milwaukee

appeares to be loaded. It would be good for another competitive team to play in

the Midwest market. keep in mind while this fan is obviously knowledgable, he is

not a scout, and has never worked in player development, not that scouts and

player development personnel are always correct. Maggs was left exposed in the

Rule V draft in 1996. His views and analysis techniques seem to be

similar to John Sickels.

Milwaukee is indeed loaded. They were loaded at AA last year and had even better players at lower levels.

Milwaukee is indeed loaded.  They were loaded at AA last year and had even better players at lower levels.

On the plus side, the Sox hired away one of Milwaulkees top personell guys, which a lot of people scoffed at, but I know at least a few of us thought it was a very good hire.

It will be interesting to see what he does, now that Fontaine is gone. I think after Fontaine left he was promoted.

But I did think that a few guys were rated a little low, for example Bobby Jenks is a top top prospect, imo. I was also shocked to see Bradon Claussen in there, and in the 50's none the less. I think the one reason Honel isn't up higher is he's at a low level, but he doesn't have that dominant fastball that most ace pitchers have.

Still it was a very solid site and coming up with a top 100 list major league wide has to be incredibly difficult.

yeah, give Milwaukee two years and a decent payroll and watch out cubbies cause they got some prospects that can hit:

Hardy-ss

Weeks-2b

Fielder-1b

Nelson-of

Palmisano-c

Krynzel-of

Hart-3b

All of them can hit, just need thier pitching prospects to mature andn hope Ben Sheets can produce and could be in the Marlins mold.

yeah, give Milwaukee two years and a decent payroll and watch out cubbies cause they got some prospects that can hit:

Hardy-ss

Weeks-2b

Fielder-1b

Nelson-of

Palmisano-c

Krynzel-of

Hart-3b

All of them can hit, just need thier pitching prospects to mature andn hope Ben Sheets can produce and could be in the Marlins mold.

The Brewers are in better shape than us....That really hurts :bang ....

For Fielder, he's definitely going to be something. I saw him play A ball when his Beloit Snappers were in town to play the Wizards...The guy's so young too, geez....

Thanks for the list.  I had never seen that site before.

Honel listed at #63 and Cotts at #82.  Funny, if Cotts would not have started 4 games in Chicago, I guarantee he would have been in the top 30, if not top 20.

When ranking prospects you have to take the totality of information. Yes he had a rough time but on the other hand if his 4 starts were better he could have been a top 5 or not on the list. You have to take the good with the bad. I'm certain he's not the only one on the list to have a sip of champagne at the mlb level.

It's like saying if we were ranking relievers and Koch hadn't played in 2003 he would be ranked higher.