Worst and Best Trades

JoshPR

Ok people, Here's a chance to give your opinion on the worst/best trades the Sox have made through the years, If ya can give a reason why.

Worst: Goose Goosage and Terry Forster to Pittsburgh for Richie Zisk and P Silvio Martinez, December 10th, 1976

We all know the story on Goose and Forster was decent untill 1985. Zisk did hit 30 homers for the South side hitmen of 1977, but was gone after that When he signed with Texas. Carrer ended in 1983 with Seattle. Martinez only pitched 22 innings for the Sox in 1977, after that he was gone too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jamie navarro and jonh snyder to the BREW CREW for Jose Valentin and Cal Eldred

:usa  :usa  :usa  :usa

Damn what a happy day it was to see that worthless slug Navarro leave town.

You are all going to flame away for this one but ..........Worst trade............

Sammy Sosa to the flubbs for George Bell. We all hate Sosa and I am one of the biggest Sosa bashers, but it kinda did turn out in their favor.

too many bad ones to count:

Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon.

Sosa for Bell.

Ray Durham for Jon Adkins.

whatever the Sox got for Brian Downing, Terry Forster, Goose Gossage, Looie Aparicio, Don Buford, Johnny Callison, Earl Battey and a million others.

My first post says who we got for Goose and Forster

For Downing we got Bobby Bonds, Thad Bosley and Richard Dotson

For Buford we got Luis Aparicio back, Russ Snyder and John Matias

One of the best(or at the very least, not bad) and worst trades in Sox history is the same trade, and has been mentioned before, that being the Sosa trade. Best(or not bad) in that we had Sosa, who had supposedly beaten his wife with a rum bottle in the Domincan Republic(I believe it was there anyways), who was playing very s***ty at the time(in 1991, his last year with the Sox, he hit .203 10 33 with 13 stolen bases, 14 walks, and 98 strikeouts in just over 300 at bats. You translate that out, and it is a s***ty season, and his previous season wasn't much better) and we got George Bell, who did have one decent season with the White Sox in 92, and he "helped" us win the division crown in 1993 with his very bad numbers(.217 13 64). He also had a division crown with the White Sox in playing with us for 2 years. Sosa finally got his first division title with the Cubs this past season, his 12th season with the Cubs, and only his 2nd playoff appearance, and winning is everything, correct? Had we kept Sosa, there's also a chance that we never get Maggs(or the opposite could have happened in that we do get Maggs and trade Sosa at the deadline to say maybe a hungry Yankees team or Red Sox team and we get Soriano or Trot Nixon or someone else), or maybe we keep him and he never catapults him to the level he is at now and retires at an early age. You never know.

I think how it was one of the worst is self-explanatory. He has since gone on and hit some 500+ home runs with the Cubs, made himself a national icon and even has some signature moves copied by probably millions of people all over the world(his hop, stutter step, kiss blowing, sprinting to RF....all his annoying little hops and skips), and has made the Cubs the thing in Chicago to watch(in sports, that is). In all reality, the White Sox take a backseat to the Cubs.

Excellent point.  I never thought of it in that much depth.

Where is ol George Bell anyway?  Probably pumping gas in the Dominican Republic.

Bell is one of the richest guys in the Dominican Repulic right now. Imagine having millions in a place where for every American Dollar you get 36.50 in Dominican Money.

Another Good Trade IMO...

Lammar Hoyt and minor leaguers Kevin Kristan and Todd Simmons to San Diego for Ozzie Guillen, Bill Long, Tim Lollar and Luis Salazar

Another bad one..

Minor League Pitcher Doug Drabek and Kevin Hickey to the Yankess for Roy Smalley Jr.

Marte and Rudy Yan for Guerrier was excelent

To me, the best trade hasn't taken place yet. I've had about all I can take with Danny Wright. The guy has proven relentlessly that he can't cut it and yet we keep putting him back in, giving him another chance, and wasting our time with more frustration. Do you think Steinbrenner would waste that much time on someone that has proven so much instability? I think not!!! When it comes to the status of him in a Sox uniform, I'll use the words of Ralph Kramden to Ed Norton, ...............OOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trade............ I'll take a pair of old worn out tennis shoes for him!!

To me, the best trade hasn't taken place yet. I've had about all I can take with Danny Wright. The guy has proven relentlessly that he can't cut it and yet we keep putting him back in, giving him another chance, and wasting our time with more frustration. Do you think Steinbrenner would waste that much time on someone that has proven so much instability? I think not!!! When it comes to the status of him in a Sox uniform, I'll use the words of Ralph Kramden to Ed Norton, ...............OOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trade............ I'll take a pair of old worn out tennis shoes for him!!

And if we did that and he went on to some other team and become a stud closer(which is very possible) we'd be kicking ourselves. Wright has very good stuff and you can't just give the guy away for nothing, but he may never put it together. Regardless, you have to give the guy a shot, and after 4 years if he's still s***ty as hell, you can non-tender him if his cost becomes too high.

BTW, George Steinbrenner wouldn't stand it because he can spend $250 million on the Yankees. JR won't spend $80 mill, so we have to live with it. It's what you get with being a White Sox fan. Deal with it.

While the Sosa trade was bad, we whouldnt have gotten Maggs, and I would take Maggs any day over Sosa.

A first ballot HOF'er and one of the most recognizeable superstars in all of sports over a mere All-Star? Yeah ok, if it makes you sleep better....

Adkins for Durham

To be fair, we were going nowhere, the deadline was looming, the strike seemed imminent.....and Adkins does throw that 97mph fastball.

Hoyt, Gossage, Seaver, Fisk, Minoso, Aparicio, Allen, Luzinski....Just who are these imaginary individuals y'all talking about?

Ok people, Here's a chance to give your opinion on the worst/best trades the Sox have made through the years, If ya can give a reason why.

Worst:  Goose Goosage and Terry Forster to Pittsburgh for Richie Zisk and P Silvio Martinez,  December 10th, 1976

We all know the story on Goose and Forster was decent untill 1985. Zisk did hit 30 homers for the South side hitmen of 1977, but was gone after that When he signed with Texas. Carrer ended in 1983 with Seattle. Martinez only pitched 22 innings for the Sox in 1977, after that he was gone too.

Lots of bad trades over the years, but some excellent ones too, believe it or not.

Worst:

1. Johnny Callison for Gene Freese.

2. Norm Cash and John Romano for Minnie Minoso

3. Earl Battey and Don Mincher for Roy Sievers

These three trades wrecked the farm system and set the White Sox back several

years. Veeck's roll of the dice for 1960 came up snake eyes and the team did

not recover. They had traded all their best prospects, who went on to stardom with

other teams. The Sox, meanwhile, were forced to keep trading year after year to

fill gapping holes. The prospects could have come in handy around 1964-67, when

the team was in desperate need of hitting. Veeck blew it.

Other bad trades:

Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon. Jose beat Roger Clemens twice in 1986 (when

Clemens went 24-4) and faded, while Bonilla played for several 1st place Pitts-

burgh teams and helped the 1997 Marlins win the World Series.

Release of Denny McLain is a tough call. It was bad because they could have used

him in 1967-69, but he later got involved with gamblers and was suspended from

baseball. Toss up.

Sammy Sosa for George Bell. The only comfort I can take with this one is that

the insanely arrogant, narrcisscistic Cub fans who gloat about this one are un-

aware of their teams own sorry trading history. But this one stunk. Sosa is an

international icon and has made the Cubs lovable, lovable, lovable. Millions of

people flock to Wrigley to see him. Granted, attendance doesn't win champion-

ships, but maybe if we had him, they'd all come to Comiskey to see him play

and the Sox would be top dog. Then again, if he were still with the Sox, he would

be derided as a wife-beating, cheating, egomaniacal steroid abuser. Jay Mariotti

would going on "Operation Run the Wife-beater Out of Town: Year 13" and up

his quota to three feverish articles per week and 100 late-night phone calls.

Still, what might have been.

Purchase of Chick Gandil from the Cleveland Indians. Not a trade, but certainly

one of the WORST deals in White Sox history. Gandil, of course, was the ring-

leader of the Black Sox scandal. In fact, I could site any deal that brought one

of the Evil Eight to the team, including the purchase of Claude "Lefty the Bagman"

Williams form the San Francisco Seals. Lefty used to deliver payoff money to

Seal teammates who had gone in the tank, according to Rich Lindberg. Of course,

you'll never hear that from Eliot Asinof, John Sayles, the Burns brothers, Boob

Costas or anybody else who has sanctified the actions of those crooks.

Best Trades:

1. Aaron Robinson for Billy Pierce

2. Joe Tipton for Nellie Fox

3. Gus Zernial, et. al. for Minnie Minoso

these trades acquired the three men who were the heart and soul of the Go-Go

Sox and helped revive a moribund franchise.

Tommy John for Dick Allen. I agree with a poster who stated that this trade also

revitalized the team when it badly needed it.

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!

excellent historical post. Long time Sox fans know that they traded away a chance to battle the Yankees for control of the American League in the early 60s by dealing Callison, Battey, Romano and others for aging, past-their-prime players.

And Dick Allen, Chuck Tanner and, yes, Harry Caray, pumped adrenaline back into the franchise in the early 70s. the Sox were pretty good back then, but, unfortunately, Oakland was flat-out great.

Worst trade............

Sammy Sosa to the flubbs for George Bell. We all hate Sosa and I am one of the biggest Sosa bashers,  but it kinda did turn out in their favor.

that was one of the best trades ever

whatever Sosa was he was not one of us

and whatever his numbers we did not need sterioid boy egomaniac Mr Selfish corkek bat on our team.

so he hit some big numbers.

we did not sell our soul to the devil as the cubs have to have that Anti-team player on ther roster.

too many bad ones to count:

Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon.

Sosa for Bell.

Ray Durham for Jon Adkins.

whatever the Sox got for Brian Downing, Terry Forster, Goose Gossage, Looie Aparicio, Don Buford, Johnny Callison, Earl Battey and a million others.

I think the Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon trade wasn't that bad. DeLeon was sent to St. Louis for the One Dog who played a huge role in the Sox success in the early 90's. Bonilla was great when he returned to Pittsburgh.(The White Sox had claimed him in the Rule 5 draft), but he was a real cancer when he went to NY.

Worst trade

George Bell for Ken Patterson and Sammy Sosa

How about Kip Wells and Josh Fogg for Todd Ritchie

Anybody think Wells would help solidify the rotation this year?

Best

Lamarr Hoyt for Ozzie Guillen

Marte for Matt Guerrier

Wison Alvarez andd Sammy Sosa and Scott Fletcher for Harold Baines

Another Good one. Ivan Calderon (RIP) For Tim Raines

Ivan was a fan Favorite but in return we got a prominent leadoff hitter. Ivan was done in 1993 while Raines was still helping the sox to the division title

Wash Trade..

Shawn Hillegas and Eric King for Corey Snyder

Snyder was released that same year and ended up with the Jays. Cory hit a week .188 with 3 homers and ended up in Torborg's doghouse

Hiilegas and King were Journeymen after that.

Another 2 Good Ones IMO...

Floyd Bannister to the Royals for Melido Perez, Greg Hibbard and John Davis

Richard Dotson to the Yankees for Dan Pasqua