stock market

soxfan420

Nah, I find the unethical companies are more profitable :lol:

I was talking with an investor one time who basically looked over Forbe's Best 100 companies to work for, figured out why they were on the list to be certain they matched the ethics and morals he believed (not necessarily mine), and bought them. He said they outperformed the market every year. The theory is you take care of your employees and they take care of your customers.

I never did any research to find out.

I've also seen some smaller enviro-funds, no child labor, no overseas subs, etc.

Warren Buffett says the best way to pick a stock is to pick a company you like. Do you like Wal-Mart? Think you get good service at a particular restaurant? Buy 'em. Does your car break down all the time? Don't buy their stock. Simple as that. I think it's a good strategy for long term.

Warren Buffett says the best way to pick a stock is to pick a company you like. Do you like Wal-Mart? Think you get good service at a particular restaurant? Buy 'em. Does your car break down all the time? Don't buy their stock. Simple as that. I think it's a good strategy for long term.

And you could do a lot worse than the Oracle of Omaha...

Wasn't it him that was going to buy the Sox with the 200 million dollars?  Damn.  You going to buy up propreties in the area of the cell and turn them into slum tenements with the remaining cash?  Ya know,  kinda add to the ambience of the place.

Lol....all my property, will one day turn into my equity to buy the Sox. I'll be just like McCourt, all my money will be tied up in Real Estate, I'll have no real money...but I'll still buy the Sox :lol: and then cry poor ;)

Ordinarily that isn't a bad idea, but I would be very careful in the real estate market for now.  The market has been great because of low interest rates, but I would bet the market collapses pretty good when interest rates start to ratchet up, because people have really bought up the market pretty good.

Out here the rates are definately one of the factors, but supply and demand to me may be an even larger factor, unless of course, rates shoot up 3 or 4%. (I still believe rates will hold; they may go up a bit, but rates are still so low and even a point or two higher and they will still be rather affordable). In the area where I invested in a home...hoping to find a second one soon, but need to save up a bit more, the prices are exponentially lower then everywhere else. I'm planning on holding long term. I get about 400 bucks a month positive cash flow out of my rental property so it works really good. I just have that money sitting in my rental account cause I sure as heck don't want to touch it.

So I get a tax benefit, my tenants are putting equity in my house, and I'm seeing my house appreciate over time. :headbang

Typically, now isn't necessarily the time to buy, especially in the area where I live cause prices are through the roof. I think in the 2 years we've lived at our home, it has already doubled. It all depends on the area. However, I know in some places real estate defiantely isn't the right idea because it doesn't appreciate like it does in other places.

And I wish I could buy up the land around bridgeport, sooner or later when they clean up the area around the cell (Not really bridegport, I happen to think bridgeort is fine) and revitalize it, you will see people bring more money in and property value will really take off. The place really isn't that far from the lake and its a real short drive into the city. I could see land/homes there really skyrocketing if you planned on holding long term (kind of where the projects are and such).

Of course it helps cause I get all my real estate transactions for free. I do the loans and my dad sure as heck isn't going to charge me a commission, since I do his personal loans for free :D

Is anyone here into socially responsible investing or checking their investements insofar as to the firms environmental, social, ethical practices?

Yes. After badgering my employer (who should know better anyway) for two years, our retirement fund investment options will finally include a 'green' option. I work at an oceanographic research institution, and you'd think they would care about environmental responsibility in their investing. But noOOOOoo!

It's going to be a decent to good year no matter where you put your loot but I've heard that Large-Cap funds, blue chip stocks, and precious metals/oil will all have a very good year. I have the option to run my 401K through a brokerage account. I've got a good bit put aside in mutual funds but have thew a bit at trading individual stocks. It's definitely fun to trade the stocks but challenging also. Sometimes I'll think I'm dead on a prediction and the market acts the exact opposite. Be safe, use the funds until you know what the hell you're doing.

Is anyone here into socially responsible investing or checking their investements insofar as to the firms environmental, social, ethical practices?

I dont really care. If a "socially responsible" investment will beat the S&P 500 then I'm all for it. If not, well then the hell with em.

It's going to be a decent to good year no matter where you put your loot but I've heard that Large-Cap funds, blue chip stocks, and precious metals/oil will all have a very good year.  I have the option to run my 401K through a brokerage account.  I've got a good bit put aside in mutual funds but have thew a bit at trading individual stocks.  It's definitely fun to trade the stocks but challenging also.  Sometimes I'll think I'm dead on a prediction and the market acts the exact opposite.  Be safe, use the funds until you know what the hell you're doing.

To back up your idea right now 90% of stocks in the SP are above their 90 day moving averages...

Lol....all my property, will one day turn into my equity to buy the Sox.  I'll be just like McCourt, all my money will be tied up in Real Estate, I'll have no real money...but I'll still buy the Sox  :lol: and then cry poor  ;)

great, then our payroll will be lower than it is now :lol: