New White/Red Sox Trade Rumor

southpaw40

For what it's worth, there's a post at WSI that a new trade between the two teams is being discussed. Says we get Nomar, Trot Nixon and a minor league player, they get Maggs, Valentin, and a minor leaguer. The level of minor leaguers included depends on whether KW can get Nomar to agree to a contract extention.

Now, I know a lot are gonna say "anybody can start a rumor", and that just might be the case here, but this guy DID have information about the previous possible trade before anyone else. He says he has a source in the Bosox organization, if I understand correctly.

Just a FYI and for discussion purposes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let it be known that this is from WSI. Take it for what it's worth.

And pardon me for saying this, but to make a comparison, would that not be like trading a good apple and an average orange for an average apple and a good orange? I don't really understand the trade at all.

If it's from the same guy who called the NOmar/Maggs deal before we heard about it, I'd consider it a mildly respectable source.

It does seem as though we'd be ripping off the Red Sox badly, unless Cotts or Reed is our minor leaguer. They'd be the only minor leaguers I think they would ask for in return for Nomar/Trot/Williamson.

And pardon me for saying this, but to make a comparison, would that not be like trading a good apple and an average orange for an average apple and a good orange? I don't really understand the trade at all.

I disagree, Trot Nixon is a better hitter then Jose, I'd personally rather have Nomar and Nixon over Maggs and Jose, plus the fact that we would get a very solid reliever, then I believe we'd be in pretty good shape in the s***ty al central, and then probably be one good starter away from being a pretty good team.

It does seem as though we'd be ripping off the Red Sox badly, unless Cotts or Reed is our minor leaguer. They'd be the only minor leaguers I think they would ask for in return for Nomar/Trot/Williamson.

The guy who posted this on wsi said that the whitesox would recieve a high level prospect, and that the redsox would be getting a mid level prospect, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be cotts or reed, I think this source is credible, but I just don't think anything positive will happen this offeason, so it probably won't happen.

Well, if true, thats looking pretty damn good. I'm guessing the Sox are giving up someone like Neil Cotts, Jon Rauch or Dan Wright but I'd be very very happy with that trade.

Sox get a shortstop, I like Trot Nixon and his bat replaces Maggs (well not really...but its admirable) and the Sox get Scott Williamson whose a pretty damn good reliever. The Sox still need a starter and this move doesn't really do anything salary wise (Well roughly I'm thinking the salaries even out). The Sox can then spend their time trying to move Konerko for a starter (washburn/Perez) or they could simply step it up and sign Ponson and go over budget.

Either way, I'd definately be in favor of this move. I still say that guy isn't a credible source but if he's right this time (this would be a move you couldn't predict...the last one you could easily predict that the Sox would somehow get involved, imo) I'll give him full credit.

I disagree, Trot Nixon is a better hitter then Jose, I'd personally rather have Nomar and Nixon over Maggs and Jose, plus the fact that we would get a very solid reliever, then I believe we'd be in pretty good shape in the s***ty al central, and then probably be one good starter away from being a pretty good team.

Not quite sure why you'd rather have Nomar and Nixon over Maggs and Jose.

Nomar is a worse fielder then Jose, and is a worse hitter then Maggs, and has not hit on the road well since his wrist injury. Nixon isn't that much better then Maggs in right(if he isn't worse), and he's not a hugely better hitter then Jose, not to mention how much better of a baserunner that Jose actually is, along with the fact that he can bunt as well.

I like the reliever....but the hitters aren't all that much better then what we already have, and IMO, one reliever won't put us over the top. We need a good #3 starter to be a contender for the division title.

I hope Kenny is smart enough to not make this move. I was all for the Maggs for Nomar and Williamson deal if Manny for ARod got done, because the moves that would then proceed would have helped us tremendously. There just is not anything we can do right now to improve our holes via FA, because aside from Vlad, Ponson, IRod, and Maddux(none of whom will sign with us, because the first two are almost locks to sign with the O's, and IRod and Maddux are both represented by Boras), who is left? At the time of the Arod deal, Gonzalez was still available and Ponson was more available then he is now. I just don't see how and why we would make this move now, because it really makes no sense, but now that I think of it, Kenny does like to make moves that make no sense whatsoever, just to confuse us.

I think I smell something. Wait, I got it: bulls***!

Nomar, Nixon, Williamson and a prospect for Maggs, Valentin and a prospect? Epstein would gte shafted.

I agree...the only way this would ever make sense is if Epstein believes it gives the BoSox enough leeway cap wise where they can just put their entire forces and the rest of the offseason to getting Arod.

Not quite sure why you'd rather have Nomar and Nixon over Maggs and Jose.

Nomar is a worse fielder then Jose, and is a worse hitter then Maggs, and has not hit on the road well since his wrist injury.  Nixon isn't that much better then Maggs in right(if he isn't worse), and he's not a hugely better hitter then Jose, not to mention how much better of a baserunner that Jose actually is, along with the fact that he can bunt as well.

I like the reliever....but the hitters aren't all that much better then what we already have, and IMO, one reliever won't put us over the top.  We need a good #3 starter to be a contender for the division title.

I hope Kenny is smart enough to not make this move.  I was all for the Maggs for Nomar and Williamson deal if Manny for ARod got done, because the moves that would then proceed would have helped us tremendously.  There just is not anything we can do right now to improve our holes via FA, because aside from Vlad, Ponson, IRod, and Maddux(none of whom will sign with us, because the first two are almost locks to sign with the O's, and IRod and Maddux are both represented by Boras), who is left?  At the time of the Arod deal, Gonzalez was still available and Ponson was more available then he is now.  I just don't see how and why we would make this move now, because it really makes no sense, but now that I think of it, Kenny does like to make moves that make no sense whatsoever, just to confuse us.

Imo, Trot nixon is a major step up over Jose Valentin. For that reason alone, i'd do this deal. Plus I think if the Sox made it, they would add another starter and call it an offseason and I'd be pleased.

Pretty much, we dump 19 mill and take on 17.5 mill, just a 1.5 mill difference but that's 1.5 we can work with.

Actually, I see no reason for KW not to pull the trigger. He wants to "cut" salary. He never said he didn't want to improve and he never said how he was going to cut it. We're sitting around 5-7 M over out 58 M budget. So the only way to cut salary is through trades, and this would be a smart one.

This is the most bogus rumor I have ever heard. There is no way the Bo Sox triggers this deal, you'd have to be crazy to do this if your Epstein. With that said if this were to somehow go down, there should be a statue of Kenny Williams at the Cell. It also mention how it's contigent on a Nomah contract extension, never going to happen.

This is the most bogus rumor I have ever heard.  There is no way the Bo Sox triggers this deal, you'd have to be crazy to do this if your Epstein.  With that said if this were to somehow go down, there should be a statue of Kenny Williams at the Cell.  It also mention how it's contigent on a Nomah contract extension, never going to happen.

No.. that's not what he said. He said if they can agree on the minors the Sox would then ask for permission to talk to him about an extension. And even if Nomar said no, the deal could still be done, the minor level prospects would be effected though.

and he's not a hugely better hitter then Jose, not to mention how much better of a baserunner that Jose actually is, along with the fact that he can bunt as well.

What are you talking about? Nixon is much, much better than Jose. Look at the numbers from last year:

Jose - .237 AVG, 119, hits, 26 2B, 2 3B, 28 HR, 74 RBI, 54 BB, 114 SO, 8 SB, .313 OBP, .776 OPS

Trot - .306 AVG, 135 hits, 24 2B, 6 3B, 28 HR, 87 RBI, 65 BB, 96 SO, 4 SB, .396 OBP, .975 OPS

The power numbers are very similar, but Trot's contact skills are ridiculously better. In addition, Jose's batting average has gone down in each year since his first with the Sox, so there's no reason to expect him to hit any better. In fact, Trot's season last year was better than Maggs's (.975 OPS vs. .926 OPS). The only category Maggs had a major advantage in was doubles, and that was primarily because he had 160 more at-bats than Trot. I think I would definitely do that deal if I were KW.

Lets quickly look at this deal:

Lineup

Willie Harris

Trot Nixon/Carlos Lee

Nomar Garciaparra

Frank Thomas

Carlos Lee/Trot Nixon

Paul Konerko

Joe Crede

Aaron Rowand/Jeremy Reed/Willie Harris

Miguel Olivo

I'd say that lineup would be more then solid

Then a bullpen of:

Williamson

Marte

Koch

Politte

Wunsch

Then you have Wright, Grilli, Scho, Sanders, Munoz and a whole lot of others battling. Rotation still needs another arm.

If this deal goes down the Sox will win the division, they have to. This would have to much talent to fail. They would be legs up, the best team in the division in all aspects of baseball. They would have a better offense, better starters and relivers. Hope this goes down, although I give a 10% chance of it happening. But, Kenny Williams always comes up big somehow.