Soxtalk's Word of the Day

sox4lifeinPA

ob·sti·na·cy, n. pl. ob·sti·na·cies

The state or quality of being stubborn or refractory.

The act or an instance of being stubborn or refractory

"JR's obstinacy to spend on a winning baseball team, will never lead us to a World Series win."

ob·sti·na·cy, n. pl. ob·sti·na·cies

The state or quality of being stubborn or refractory.

The act or an instance of being stubborn or refractory

"JR's obstinacy to spend on a winning baseball team, will never lead us to a World Series win."

sorry to be an annoying Mr Grammar Guy (but I am) - I may have no right to offer my opinion but I will:

the correct use of the word would be:

"JR's obstinacy in not spending on a winning baseball team has left us with no World Series wins."

sorry to be so tendatious here. (Incidentally I disagree with the sentiment about JR.)

another example:

Ozzie's obtinacy in never talking ball four is why he had so few walks.

an example without a negation in the sentence:

Rose's obstinacy when he had multiple chances to tell the truth over the past 14 years is one reason he is despised today.

I...conquer. :lol:

con·quer    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kngkr)

v. con·quered, con·quer·ing, con·quers

v. tr.

1 - To defeat or subdue by force, especially by force of arms.

2 - To gain or secure control of by or as if by force of arms: scientists battling to conquer disease; a singer who conquered the operatic world.

3 - To overcome or surmount by physical, mental, or moral force: I finally conquered my fear of heights. See Synonyms at defeat.

I conquer all who use improper homonyms, while fully realizing these two words aren't actually homonyms.

con·cur    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kn-kûr)

intr.v. con·curred, con·cur·ring, con·curs

1 - To be of the same opinion; agree: concurred on the issue of preventing crime. See Synonyms at assent.

2 - To act together; cooperate.

3 - To occur at the same time; coincide: icy sleet that concurred with a forceful wind.

4 - Obsolete. To converge; meet.

I think you mean the latter HEADS

sorry to be an annoying Mr Grammar Guy (but I am) - I may have no right to offer my opinion but I will:

the correct use of the word would be:

"JR's obstinacy in not spending on a winning baseball team has left us with no World Series wins."

sorry to be so tendatious here.  (Incidentally I disagree with the sentiment about JR.)

another example:

Ozzie's obtinacy in never talking ball four is why he had so few walks.

an example without a negation in the sentence:

Rose's obstinacy when he had multiple chances to tell the truth over the past 14 years is one reason he is despised today.

talking ball four???

fas·ci·nate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fs-nt)

v. fas·ci·nat·ed, fas·ci·nat·ing, fas·ci·nates

v. tr.

1. To hold an intense interest or attraction for. See Synonyms at charm.

2. To hold motionless; spellbind.

3. Obsolete. To bewitch.

v. intr.

To be irresistibly charming or attractive.

My girlfriend has a sweater with 10 buttons, but her boobs are so big she can only fascinate.

Speaking of words....I have to do this thing for English, and I am stumped...I have to come up for illustrations for a presentation on Friday for the words....

-sarcasm

-satire

-semantics

Any ideas? :huh:

Satire:

g-arth-s.jpg

Ah I wish I knew how to post the picture on to here....My sarcasm one owns!! :headbang

I have a picture of the sCrUBS logo ...and beside it says..."The Cubs haven't won a World Series since 1908."

I have a picture of the Tigers logo...and beside it says...."The Tigers lost 119 games in the 2003 season."

and then in bold words it says SARCASM, and underneath that it says..."Sarcasm would be saying these two teams are good." :lol:

I just realized we didn't have a word of the day so here it goes:

Drunkenness

n 1: a temporary state resulting from excessive consumption of alcohol [syn: inebriation, inebriety, intoxication, tipsiness] [ant: soberness] 2: prolonged and excessive intake of alcoholic drinks leading to a breakdown in health and an addiction to alcohol such that abrupt deprivation leads to severe withdrawal symptoms [syn: alcoholism, alcohol addiction] 3: the act of drinking alcoholic beverages to excess; "drink was his downfall" [syn: drink, drinking, boozing, crapulence]

Texsox went to the pub and drunkenness until they kicked him out. :drink :cheers