NCAA hoops thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also just saw that northwestern is beating the Illini by 7 with 3 minutes to play.  The Wildcats are playing some respectable ball.  As bad as the Big Ten is, they might have a chance at a tourney seed this year.

If you mean the NCAA tournament, it's possible, but not likely. NU will have to go at least 10-6 in the Big Ten, which as an NU fan myself I don't see. They were too inconsistent in non-conference play. They did beat Arizona St., a good team, but also lost to UIC and Mississippi Valley St. Their strength of schedule will help, but I don't think they can grab enough wins.

If you mean the NCAA tournament, it's possible, but not likely. NU will have to go at least 10-6 in the Big Ten, which as an NU fan myself I don't see. They were too inconsistent in non-conference play. They did beat Arizona St., a good team, but also lost to UIC and Mississippi Valley St. Their strength of schedule will help, but I don't think they can grab enough wins.

9-7 or even 8-8 can get you into the tourney this year espesially since the Big Ten is going to be way down this year. There are going to be a lot more teams bunched up, instead of some clear distinctions between who should go and who should not. A 10 point victory over the Illini will be a nice piece on their tourney resume.

When you get a chance Heads, give me some info on UNI, I don't know anything about them... what confrence, who is their stud etc.

UNI....University of Northern Iowa....one of four D-I schools in the state....others being Iowa, iowa State and Drake...Cedar Falls Iowa....less than an hour from where I live.

They are in the Missouri Valley Conference, same as heather's sucky Redbirds.

Their coach is Greg McDermott, who has done, what I think, is a masterful job with that program. He outcoached Steve Alford in the Iowa UNI game.....which UNI won, by about 10 I believe.

UNI half of boxscore:

HOME TEAM: Northern Iowa 8-5,(3-2)

TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS

No. N A M E FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN

43 Schneiderman, Matt f 4-7 2-5 0-0 3 2 5 1 10 2 0 0 0 32

42 Gruber, David c 5-6 0-0 2-6 0 4 4 2 12 2 0 0 1 29

05 Crawford, Erik g 5-10 0-0 0-0 0 4 4 3 10 4 3 0 0 29

12 Jacobson, Ben g 3-8 1-3 1-3 0 3 3 3 8 5 2 0 1 28

23 McKowen, Brooks g 6-10 6-7 6-7 0 2 2 2 24 4 1 0 1 31

11 Little, John 0-2 0-1 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 12

21 Foster, Chris 4-8 2-5 5-8 0 5 5 0 15 3 3 0 0 20

22 Schmit, Pete 1-1 1-1 0-0 0 0 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 3

32 Stout, Grant 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 10

33 Godfread, Jon 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6

TEAM ........................................ 3 5 8

TOTALS 28-52 12-22 14-24 6 28 34 12 82 20 9 0 5 200

Just about any player on the team can hit an open shot and I'd bank on them shooting around 50% in most games. McKowen is a freshmen wrom Fairbank Iowa, a town about 7 miles west of where I sit now. He was Iowa's Mr. Basketball and is a very pure shooter. I'd say that Jacobson is the only one that you don't really need to look out for as far as some one that can kill you. Foster is the only real legitimate threat off the bech. They play hard on the road.

Butler beats Detroit Mercy 70-69 in OT from Butler.  Also heard today that former MSU PG Brandon Cotton will be transfering to Detroit.

I knew that last week. Not good news. I do believe he did b**** about PT too. I don't want a kid like that in the program, even though he could help us out so much because he is a PG.

Mizzou gets back on the map with a 79-75 upset of OU.

Yeah but OU has been terrible lately...

Sun, Jan 11 - at (1) Connecticut - L 59-86 
Wed, Jan 14 - at Oklahoma St. ---- L 56-77
Sat, Jan 17 ---- Missouri -------- L 75-79

27 and 21 point losses followed by a loss at home to a struggling Missoiri team. OU is in trouble.

It's so awesome having three kickass wrestling programs in the state, also.

Northern Duals are this weekend, it's a giant team tournament with the best in the nation (1 Okla State, 2 Michigan, 3 Mizzou, 5 ISU, 9 Minnesota, 10 Hofstra, 11 Penn State, 13 Okla, 14 Cornell, 15 Ohio State, 16 Central Mich, 17 UNI, 18 Penn, 19 West Virginia, and 21 Mich State all there). Not a better non-NCAA championship tournament in any sport anywhere.

Northern Iowa beat Iowa State today. Iowa State also lost to the Penn Quakers (18th). Northern Iowa got crushed by Penn State (11th). Iowa State was ranked fifth, Iowa was ranked 6th, and UNI was ranked 17th. Iowa State was missing three of their best wrestlers. Michigan is the only other state with three ranked programs (2 Michigan, 16 Central Michigan, and 21 Michigan State).