NCAA hoops thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now Alford's whining to the the Big 10 saying that the visiting team should be penalized such as when ISU fans chanted "No means No", "Beware of the Backdoor" and "Watch out for the penetration" in reference to Pierce.

Yep, he already filed a formal complaint against Orange Krush because of chants of "Guilty" and "no means no" when they played at U of I. Verbal abuse is part of playing on another teams home court. If you can't hack it then get off the court. I hate the Big 10 "sportsmanship rule". I should be able to say whatever the hell I want to any player that steps foot on that floor. Alford is a baby, how that guy played for Bobby Knight I'll never know. I guarantee Knight wouldn't go crying to the Big 10, hell, he might not have even coddled Pierce so much in the first place.

Vroman at the Fieldhouse last year attacked Simien's shoulder, got a technical, then whined like a little child. The place went nuts when Miles hit Vroman.

The fans should be able to say anything they want. I cannot wait till the most corrupt program in the nation mizzou invades kansas.

Alford should not complain, he should have kicked pierce off the team.

All bias aside...

State is going to get in. They are going to get slack from the committee. Benefit of the doubt if you will. A program that has proven itself, with the hardest schedule ever. Plus, they are a big money team. Even if they do not fully deserve to get in, they will. The committee will also view them as having a chance to make a good run. Just look at what happen with 'Bama last year.

MSU is far from certain to make the Tourny. In fact, I would say the odds are against them if you look at them unbiasly. The fact is that they haven't looked good this year. I told you guys that MSU was overrated from the beginning. They have no depth up front(Davis is the only decent big man) and no true PG. In their 8 loses, only 1 was by fewer then 5 points, so they haven't even been close in most of those games. What quality wins do they have? At this point, their best wins are against Michigan(at home), DePaul(at home), and Minnesota(at Minn). That is not impressive, and without quality wins MSU has no shot of making it. Their schedule has been very tough, but when you compare it to other teams it isn't as tough as some people make it out to be. For example, look at another bubble teams schedule(IU)

MSU(tough games)

at Kansas

Duke

Oklahoma

Kentucky

at Syracuse

at Wisconsin

at Purdue

IU(tough games)

at Vanderbilt

at Wake Forest

Missouri

Kentucky

at Wisconsin

Purdue

Both have common opponents(Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Purdue). I would argue that at Kansas, Oklahoma, and at Syracuse are similar to at Vanderbilt(very underrated team), at Wake Forest, and Missouri. The difference between the two schedules is Duke, but as you can see the difference isn't as great as some people would think. If it comes down to MSU or IU(for example), than it will be an easy pick for the commitee. IU has much better quality wins(Xavier, at Notre Dame, at Michigan, at Minnesota, and Purdue), a better overall record, and they played 9 games without their best low post player(and went 4-5 in those games).

The fact is that the Big Ten is extremely weak this year, and that they will be lucky to get 5 teams into the Tourny. Furthermore, because of the weakness of the Big Ten, MSU strength of schedule will plummet. If MSU doesn't win AT LEAST 6(maybe even 7) of their remaining game(including the Big Ten Tourny), than they won't make the Tourny. I see 5 games remaining that could be tough for them to win(Indiana, at Illnois, Purdue, at Michigan, and Wisconsin). They have to win at least 1 of those games(probably 2-3, while winning the other 5) to even have a chance to make it. Georgia made the Tourny a couple of years ago with a record around .500, but they had a few quality wins and played in a tougher conference(compared to the Big 10 this year). Mark my words, if MSU has a 15-13 record, than they won't make the Tourny. MSU fans can look at this with their bias glasses on, but the fact is that MSU is in great danger of not making the Tourny.

MSU is far from certain to make the Tourny. In fact, I would say the odds are against them if you look at them unbiasly. The fact is that they haven't looked good this year. I told you guys that MSU was overrated from the beginning. They have no depth up front(Davis is the only decent big man) and no true PG. In their 8 loses, only 1 was by fewer then 5 points, so they haven't even been close in most of those games. What quality wins do they have? At this point, their best wins are against Michigan(at home), DePaul(at home), and Minnesota(at Minn). That is not impressive, and without quality wins MSU has no shot of making it. Their schedule has been very tough, but when you compare it to other teams it isn't as tough as some people make it out to be. For example, look at another bubble teams schedule(IU)

MSU(tough games)

at Kansas

Duke

Oklahoma

Kentucky

at Syracuse

at Wisconsin

at Purdue

IU(tough games)

at Vanderbilt

at Wake Forest

Missouri

Kentucky

at Wisconsin

Purdue

Both have common opponents(Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Purdue). I would argue that at Kansas, Oklahoma, and at Syracuse are similar to at Vanderbilt(very underrated team), at Wake Forest, and Missouri. The difference between the two schedules is Duke, but as you can see the difference isn't as great as some people would think. If it comes down to MSU or IU(for example), than it will be an easy pick for the commitee. IU has much better quality wins(Xavier, at Notre Dame, at Michigan, at Minnesota, and Purdue), a better overall record, and they played 9 games without their best low post player(and went 4-5 in those games).

The fact is that the Big Ten is extremely weak this year, and that they will be lucky to get 5 teams into the Tourny. Furthermore, because of the weakness of the Big Ten, MSU strength of schedule will plummet. If MSU doesn't win AT LEAST 6(maybe even 7) of their remaining game(including the Big Ten Tourny), than they won't make the Tourny. I see 5 games remaining that could be tough for them to win(Indiana, at Illnois, Purdue, at Michigan, and Wisconsin). They have to win at least 1 of those games(probably 2-3, while winning the other 5) to even have a chance to make it. Georgia made the Tourny a couple of years ago with a record around .500, but they had a few quality wins and played in a tougher conference(compared to the Big 10 this year). Mark my words, if MSU has a 15-13 record, than they won't make the Tourny. MSU fans can look at this with their bias glasses on, but the fact is that MSU is in great danger of not making the Tourny.

RPI and SOS are going to be huge in favor of MSU vs half of the mid majors that are going to have a quality win or two, but no SOS at all. The committee has made it pretty clear that scheduling a tough season is better than beating up on patsys.

RPI and SOS are going to be huge in favor of MSU vs half of the mid majors that are going to have a quality win or two, but no SOS at all.  The committee has made it pretty clear that scheduling a tough season is better than beating up on patsys.

Having a tough schedule only works in your favor if you beat a decent opponent. MSU does not have a single quality win on their resume right now.

RPI and SOS are going to be huge in favor of MSU vs half of the mid majors that are going to have a quality win or two, but no SOS at all.  The committee has made it pretty clear that scheduling a tough season is better than beating up on patsys.

I am not a huge fan of RPI. I know that the commitee thinks pretty highly of it, but I find it extremely flawed. I don't think MSU is the 48th best team in the country(according to the RPI). Who have the beaten that is even in the top 50, 60, 70(in RPI)? How can a team be 48th without a quality win? MSU isn't that good. It is that simple. Furthermore, now more then ever, the commitee is starting to include more mid-major teams. They believe that the #2-3 team in a mid-major conference is better then the #7-8 team in a major conference, especially a conference like the Big 10 which isn't very good this year. Not only that, but an RPI ranking(one of the few things that might save MSU) of 48 is boarderline. RPI also takes into account strength of schedule(which is the only reason why MSU is even close to 48th), so the commitee will look to other things. Maybe the strength of the conference, quality wins, road wins, ect. I just don't think MSU deserves to be in the Tourny, and at this point I don't think they will get in. They have a tough remaining schedule that could help or hurt them. If the lose the games that they are suppose to(games that they are the underdog), than they won't have the record to get into the Tourny. However, if they win 2-3 of those tough games in which they are an underdog it will add some quality wins to their resume. My point is that some MSU fans think they have a good shot of getting in. I am presenting the other side of the arguement and from a non-bias perspective(neither like nor dislike MSU) I think the odds are against MSU.

Upset of the night, Washington beats Arizona 96-83.

My Wildcats are hard to figure out. One game they look like the best team in the country, and the next they look like they don't even belong in the Tourny. It seems that they have defensive lapses and get lazy at times on the defensive end, which is unfortunate because they have some good 1 on 1 defenders and great athletism. I will say this, the U of A is one of the most exciting teams to watch(they were the highest scoring team in the country), especially with the athletism of guys like Adams and Iguodala. Arizona has the talent to win it all(IMO), especially if they go on a run in which they play like the best team in the country. They could also get knocked out in the 1st round if they play flat(like last night).

On a side note, if you watched the game, than you have to give props to the little guy Robinson on the Huskies side. He poured in 31, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 5 steals. Not only that, but the 5'8 Robinson threw down a nasty dunk that helped spark the second half run. I am jealous. At 6'2(closer to 6'1) the only thing that I can throw down is a volleyball.

Arizona has looked quite terrible this year in some games against much lesser opponents. I can think of 2 that i remember watching where they had to come up with a surge at the end to overcome 2 teams that wont even be close to making any type of tourney (cant remember who... lol)

On a side note, its too bad im not an Arizona fan, because i could have watched every game they've played this year on DirecTv, because they dont block there games out on the sports package on Fox Sports Net, because Full Court subscribers get ESPN Full Court...

State will be is the big dance, and win a few games when they get there.

WSF6792787872... you say that State only has one loss within five points, but you forget to mention two of their loses were in overtime.

There is nothing wrong with a little optimism, but it is clear that your bias has blocked you better judgement. Why should MSU be in the Tourny? Because they have played a tough schedule? Is that reason enough to put an averge team in the Tourny? Are you suggesting that any team that plays a tough schedule(and loses all their games against tough opponents) and has no quality wins should be in the Tourny? Who has MSU beat? They haven't beat one team that will probably be in the Tourny. Please give me a reason why MSU SHOULD be in the Tourny(and please stop with this tough schedule BS). I have showed you multiple reasons why they shouldn't be in the Tourny, and you have yet to show me one good reason why they should be in the Toury besides your obvious bias. Your best hope is that some of the commitee are diehard MSU fans like yourself, because thats the only way MSU is getting in at this point. No need to get mad at me because you can't accept the truth. Take off your MSU glasses and view things like the rest of the world does.

I mentioned this a little bit, but tomorrow night when IU is in East Lansing to play Michigan State, it is "Turn Back the Clock Night." They're wearing the short shorts and the whole nine yards :lol: ...Here's a little blip from IU's athletic website.

Indiana (11-6, 5-1) puts its three-game road winning streak and five game overall run on the line Jan. 31 when it visits the Breslin Center in East Lansing to face Michigan State (9-8, 4-2).

The “Turn Back The Clock” game, part of ESPN’s season-long celebration of its 25th season of college basketball, will include elements for both ESPN viewers and fans in attendance, such as vintage clothing, old TV graphics and 1979 concession prices. Commentators Dan Shulman, Dick Vitale (who has been with ESPN for all 25 seasons) and reporter Doris Burke will wear period clothes from 1979, as will the coaches and fans. ESPN was launched on September 7, 1979.

Found an IndyStar article about the Old School game....

Indiana participates in throwback game

January 30, 2004

Viewers of Saturday's nationally televised game between Indiana and Michigan State may think they've stumbled upon ESPN Classic.

As part of its celebration of 25 years of televising college basketball, ESPN is putting on a "Turn Back The Clock" game that will feature the Hoosiers and Spartans.

There will be vintage uniforms, old TV graphics and 1979 concession prices. Commentators Dan Shulman, Dick Vitale and Doris Burke will wear clothes from the era. Some may think Vitale won't look any different, but the veteran broadcaster plans to wear a 1979-style blazer and horned-rimmed glasses.

IU fans may be in for a treat when it comes to their coach. Mike Davis said Thursday that he plans to wear a red sports coat, plaid pants, stacked heels -- and an Afro.

"Back in the day, the brothers wore stacked heels," Davis said with a smile. "And I'm wearing the Afro because I lost a bet."

Davis was asked by a reporter late last week if he would consider wearing an Afro wig or something similar for the occasion. At first, Davis said no, but after a moment he said, "I'll tell you what. If we beat Minnesota and then beat Purdue, and we're 5-1 going to Michigan State, I'll wear that Afro."

Davis plans to be true to his word. He said he'll wear the Afro, and full fashion attire when he comes out on the court, but will only wear the sports coat during the game. All of the clothes will be provided by ESPN and Davis will see them for the first time today. He said a friend is bringing the Afro.

ESPN had hoped that both teams would wear replica uniforms from '79. Michigan State plans to do that, but IU officials say they were informed of the plan too late to have Nike put together a vintage uniform for them.

In many ways, though, the IU uniform hasn't changed significantly. The shorts are baggier and the fabric has changed but the basic look is similar. The candy-stripped warm-up pants should fit right in as well.

The only significant difference for the Hoosiers will be the old high red socks that were popular in the '70s.

Michigan State beat IU 82-58 on Jan. 18, 1979, in East Lansing.

:( Stephen F. Austin Player Wallace Collapses, Dies

Junior Was Shooting Baskets, Saturday Night's Game Postponed

NACOGDOCHES, Texas (Jan. 30) -- Greg Wallace, a junior transfer sitting out this season at Stephen F. Austin, collapsed and died Friday while shooting baskets.

Wallace, who came to the Lumberjacks from Army, was on the court at the William R. Johnson Coliseum when he collapsed, team spokesman Rob Meyers said.

The 22-year-old Wallace was rushed by emergency personnel to Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. A cause of death has not been determined.

Wallace transferred from Army to be closer to home and had to sit out this season because of NCAA rules. At Army last season, he averaged four points and 2.2 rebounds a game in 20 games.

The Lumberjacks were on the team bus en route to Hammond, La., to play Southeastern Louisiana on Saturday when they learned of Wallace's death.

After coach Danny Kaspar broke the news to players, the team returned to campus. Saturday night's game has been postponed indefinitely.

"Basketball fades into the background when a tragedy such as this occurs," Southeastern Louisiana coach Billy Kennedy said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the young man's family and the entire Stephen F. Austin community."

01/30/04 22:25 EST