Here is the challenge

southsider2k5

If this was the beginning of the offseason, I would of signed Jose to a 1 yr deal worth 3.5 - 4 million.

I would of then dealt Paul Konerko and 4 mill cash (2 mill each season) for Odalis Perez. I think under those circumstances, the Dodgers would of pulled the trigger on the deal. I would of then moved Billy Koch and 1-2 mill for David Weathers. These two moves essentially save the Sox 3-4 million, which puts them near the budget.

Since Bartolo Colon no longer became an option (it would of been my main goal to sign him, but no way could they of touched the Angels offer) I would of then worked on adding Jarrod Washburn to the rotation. I'd dangle Carlos Lee for Jeff DaVannon and Jarrod Washburn.

The Sox save roughly 2 million in this move and now are under budget. I would of signed Buehrle long term and then would make my pitch to add Kerry Lightenberg and Politte to the bullpen. This would cost the Sox roughly 2.5 mill, maximum.

Next up, I would of dealt Jose Valentin to the Mariners for Carlos Guillen when the opportunity arose, saving the Sox another 2 to 2.5 million. Then I would of added Desi Relaford for cheap, and given Willie Harris the shot to get 2nd base.

The Sox now have there infield, because I would of signed Fullmer for 1.25 million or so and let him and Thomas platoon. I would of then looked at someone like Jose Guillen to play in the outfield at 3 mill and would of signed Magglio to a new 3 yr deal worth 33 million dollars, saving 3 million this year or at the most 4 yr 44 million.

Rotation

Buehrle - 4 mill

Elo - 4.5 mill

Washburn - 5 mill

Garland - 1.5 mill

Odalis Perez - 5 mill

Total Rotation = 20 mill

Bullpen

Marte - 1 mill

Weathers - 3 mill

Lightenberg - 1.5 mill

Wunsch - 750 K

Wright - 500 K

Politte - 800 K

Total Bullpen = 7.55

Lineup

Harris - 2nd (400 K)

Carlos Guillen - ss (3 mill)

Frank Thomas - dh/1st (6 mill)

Magglio Ordonez - rf (11 mill)

Brad Fullmer - 1st/dh (1.25 mill)

Jose Guillen - lf (3 mill)

Joe Crede - 3rd (700 K)

Jeff DaVannon - cf (500 K)

Miguel Olivo - C (500 K)

Total Lineup = 26.35 million

Bench:

Aaron Rowand (500 K)

Juan Uribe (750 K)

Sandy Alomar Jr. (800 K)

Ross Gload (350K)

Total Bench = 2.4 mill

Total Salaries = 56.3

Add Cash Given in Trades (Konerko 2 mill; Koch 1 mill)

Sox Total Budget = 59.3 mill

Now this is 1 mill over the 58 mill budget, but considering right now they are 4 mill over and some reports have the budget as high as 60 mill, I Think this is a realistic scenario and its one that doesn't involve trading a fan favorite. The Sox lineup still has pop, the pitching staff is very strong, the bullpen is solid (not spectacular) and the bench has depth, but has its weaknesses, but those could be addressed via trades later in the season. The only weak spot in the lineup is Willie Harris, but you could add someone like Desi Relaford to provide depth.

Elo - 4.5 mill

Now this is 1 mill over the 58 mill budget, but considering right now they are 4 mill over and some reports have the budget as high as 60 mill, I Think this is a realistic scenario and its one that doesn't involve trading a fan favorite.

Doesn't Loz only make around $3 million this year?

aboz, I know this is a day late and perhaps a dollar short, but here are two good sites to get salary info. The first one will take awhile for all the newest deals from this offseason to update (I think it mid-April last year). Just recently found the second one so I am not sure how well they keep it up to date. It gives you team payroll info, historical info on salaries, etc.

Bookmark them, they are good reference sites...

MLB Salaries/Contracts

USA Today Baseball Salary Database

If this was the beginning of the offseason, I would of signed Jose to a 1 yr deal worth 3.5 - 4 million. 

I would of then dealt Paul Konerko and 4 mill cash (2 mill each season) for Odalis Perez.  I think under those circumstances, the Dodgers would of pulled the trigger on the deal.  I would of then moved Billy Koch and 1-2 mill for David Weathers.  These two moves essentially save the Sox 3-4 million, which puts them near the budget. 

Since Bartolo Colon no longer became an option (it would of been my main goal to sign him, but no way could they of touched the Angels offer) I would of then worked on adding Jarrod Washburn to the rotation.  I'd dangle Carlos Lee for Jeff DaVannon and Jarrod Washburn.

The Sox save roughly 2 million in this move and now are under budget.  I would of signed Buehrle long term and then would make my pitch to add Kerry Lightenberg and Politte to the bullpen.  This would cost the Sox roughly 2.5 mill, maximum. 

Next up, I would of dealt Jose Valentin to the Mariners for Carlos Guillen when the opportunity arose, saving the Sox another 2 to 2.5 million.  Then I would of added Desi Relaford for cheap, and given Willie Harris the shot to get 2nd base. 

The Sox now have there infield, because I would of signed Fullmer for 1.25 million or so and let him and Thomas platoon.  I would of then looked at someone like Jose Guillen to play in the outfield at 3 mill and would of signed Magglio to a new 3 yr deal worth 33 million dollars, saving 3 million this year or at the most 4 yr 44 million. 

Rotation

Buehrle - 4 mill

Elo - 4.5 mill

Washburn - 5 mill

Garland - 1.5 mill

Odalis Perez - 5 mill

Total Rotation = 20 mill

Bullpen

Marte - 1 mill

Weathers - 3 mill

Lightenberg - 1.5 mill

Wunsch - 750 K

Wright - 500 K

Politte - 800 K

Total Bullpen = 7.55

Lineup

Harris - 2nd (400 K)

Carlos Guillen - ss (3 mill)

Frank Thomas - dh/1st (6 mill)

Magglio Ordonez - rf (11 mill)

Brad Fullmer - 1st/dh (1.25 mill)

Jose Guillen - lf (3 mill)

Joe Crede - 3rd (700 K)

Jeff DaVannon - cf (500 K)

Miguel Olivo - C (500 K)

Total Lineup = 26.35 million

Bench:

Aaron Rowand (500 K)

Juan Uribe (750 K)

Sandy Alomar Jr. (800 K)

Ross Gload (350K)

Total Bench = 2.4 mill

Total Salaries = 56.3

Add Cash Given in Trades (Konerko 2 mill; Koch 1 mill)

Sox Total Budget = 59.3 mill

Now this is 1 mill over the 58 mill budget, but considering right now they are 4 mill over and some reports have the budget as high as 60 mill, I Think this is a realistic scenario and its one that doesn't involve trading a fan favorite.  The Sox lineup still has pop, the pitching staff is very strong, the bullpen is solid (not spectacular) and the bench has depth, but has its weaknesses, but those could be addressed via trades later in the season.  The only weak spot in the lineup is Willie Harris, but you could add someone like Desi Relaford to provide depth.

Good job Jas. But just to knitpick a little bit, my question is what would you do now!

Good job Jas.  But just to knitpick a little bit, my question is what would you do now!

I'd sell. If I could get a good offer for Magglio, I'd move him for prospects/younger players that the Sox could keep for a number of years. It is obvious that they don't plan on bringing him back, and he could bring the Sox some major league ready, top caliber prospects, while bringing payroll relief.

In Magg's case, I'd rather have the top prospects then draft picks. I'd also try to sell Konerko and Koch and get the salaries in order and essentially build around prospects, while holding onto the pitching.

I'd hope some young pitchers could come through and next season the team would be extremely under payroll and could add a few key players and then it would probably be one more season of developing the younger players and then I'd add some more key players and the team would be ready to go.

I'd find a way to get Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller. I may offer them Magglio for just those two and see if they'd do it. I realize it may seem minimal, but those two could turn into front line horses in your rotation and they could make your team really good relatively quickly.

I'd then try and move Konerko for Washburn or another pitcher. I'd try to just build a hell of a pitching staff and piece together some hitters and veterans at one year deals and if the pitching flat out kicked butt, then the team would be well under budget and it could add players, plus you are incredibly young and will have guys around for quite a while.

And you still have Elo, Buehrle, Garland, and Washburn which can easily keep you good.

Like I say...pitching, pitching and more pitching. And I would try to get Jeff DaVannon from the Angels. He is now their 4th outfielder, plus they have Chone Figgins, so I think he could be had at a reasonable price. I think he's a very quality outfielder and could be a very productive player to have.

I'd sell.  If I could get a good offer for Magglio, I'd move him for prospects/younger players that the Sox could keep for a number of years.  It is obvious that they don't plan on bringing him back, and he could bring the Sox some major league ready, top caliber prospects, while bringing payroll relief. 

Chisoxfn, you should be a colomnist and join that Around the Horn show. You'll be awesome in the Buy or Sell thing they have :lol:

aboz, I know this is a day late and perhaps a dollar short, but here are two good sites to get salary info.  The first one will take awhile for all the newest deals from this offseason to update (I think it mid-April last year).  Just recently found the second one so I am not sure how well they keep it up to date.  It gives you team payroll info, historical info on salaries, etc. 

Bookmark them, they are good reference sites...

MLB Salaries/Contracts

USA Today Baseball Salary Database

Just went there! Great Sight!! Don't know if this is any help or not,(I'm sure you already know about it.....but just in case, here it is). http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/ When you click on this sight, scroll down the year you want, click it, then scroll down to the bottom and the salaries of all the players from that teams year show up. It doesn't show new current ones, but if you're looking for a whole team stats and facts of each individual player in that year by team, this one has helped me before!!