Don't expect Thomas at Soxfest

chessblues88

Teammates: Don't expect Thomas at SoxFest

Source: Hurt still sore about Guillen's digs

Friday, January 16, 2004

By Joe Cowley

Staff writer

Frank Thomas has been a late addition to the SoxFest lineup in recent seasons, but if any members of the White Sox organization are waiting for the Big Hurt to announce he'll be attending this year's fan convention, they'd better not hold their breath.

Apparently still unhappy about comments made by new Sox manager Ozzie Guillen in November, Thomas has told several teammates it's very unlikely he'll attend the 12th annual SoxFest, to be held Jan. 30-Feb. 1 at the downtown Hyatt Regency.

"He might still change his mind at the last minute, but I wouldn't count on it," one source said. "There's a reason that he and Ozzie still haven't spoken. I'm sure Frank will handle it like a professional once spring training starts, but if he doesn't have to talk to (Guillen) right now, he's not going to."

Guillen will be on hand at SoxFest, along with current Sox players Mark Buehrle, Carlos Lee, Esteban Loaiza and Jose Valentin, to name a few.

Thomas has been a regular at SoxFest, even last winter in the wake of the team exercising the "diminished skills" clause in his contract, which put him on the free-agent market. He did, however, refuse to speak to members of the media after a lengthy autograph session at last year's event.

The Sox aren't counting Thomas out for this year's SoxFest, but they hadn't included him in their scheduled lineup of events as of Thursday.

"The way it works is they extend invitations to current and former players," Sox public relations director Scott Reifert said. "He might still call a week from now and still come; he hasn't said no. We are still adding people. He's not the only one. They're still in the process of putting a list together."

In fact, Thomas isn't the only big-name Sox player who had his name in headlines this offseason and so far hasn't agreed to participate in this year's SoxFest. Right fielder Magglio Ordonez, who would have been traded to Boston for shortstop Nomar Garciaparra and relief pitcher Scott Williamson if Texas and Boston had completed the Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez deal, isn't scheduled to be at the event.

"Who's to say what the final lineup will end up being?" Reifert continued. "We can't say why (Thomas won't be coming) because it hasn't occurred yet."

Other current players scheduled to attend include Joe Crede, Jon Garland, Willie Harris, Miguel Olivo, Aaron Rowand and Kelly Wunsch.

Third-base coach Joey Cora and hitting coach Greg Walker are among the former Sox players on the SoxFest roster, as are Harold Baines, Britt Burns, Ed Farmer, Kevin Hickey, LaMarr Hoyt, Darrin Jackson, Jack McDowell, Bill Melton, Minnie Minoso, Billy Pierce, Moose Skowron and Bobby Thigpen.

General manager Ken Williams, assistant general manager Rick Hahn, broadcaster Ken Harrelson and 2003 Branch Rickey Award winner Roland Hemond are also on the roster.

Teammates: Don't expect Thomas at SoxFest

Source: Hurt still sore about Guillen's digs

Friday, January 16, 2004

By Joe Cowley

Staff writer

Frank Thomas has been a late addition to the SoxFest lineup in recent seasons, but if any members of the White Sox organization are waiting for the Big Hurt to announce he'll be attending this year's fan convention, they'd better not hold their breath.

Apparently still unhappy about comments made by new Sox manager Ozzie Guillen in November, Thomas has told several teammates it's very unlikely he'll attend the 12th annual SoxFest, to be held Jan. 30-Feb. 1 at the downtown Hyatt Regency.

"He might still change his mind at the last minute, but I wouldn't count on it," one source said. "There's a reason that he and Ozzie still haven't spoken. I'm sure Frank will handle it like a professional once spring training starts, but if he doesn't have to talk to (Guillen) right now, he's not going to."

Guillen will be on hand at SoxFest, along with current Sox players Mark Buehrle, Carlos Lee, Esteban Loaiza and Jose Valentin, to name a few.

Thomas has been a regular at SoxFest, even last winter in the wake of the team exercising the "diminished skills" clause in his contract, which put him on the free-agent market. He did, however, refuse to speak to members of the media after a lengthy autograph session at last year's event.

The Sox aren't counting Thomas out for this year's SoxFest, but they hadn't included him in their scheduled lineup of events as of Thursday.

"The way it works is they extend invitations to current and former players," Sox public relations director Scott Reifert said. "He might still call a week from now and still come; he hasn't said no. We are still adding people. He's not the only one. They're still in the process of putting a list together."

In fact, Thomas isn't the only big-name Sox player who had his name in headlines this offseason and so far hasn't agreed to participate in this year's SoxFest. Right fielder Magglio Ordonez, who would have been traded to Boston for shortstop Nomar Garciaparra and relief pitcher Scott Williamson if Texas and Boston had completed the Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez deal, isn't scheduled to be at the event.

"Who's to say what the final lineup will end up being?" Reifert continued. "We can't say why (Thomas won't be coming) because it hasn't occurred yet."

Other current players scheduled to attend include Joe Crede, Jon Garland, Willie Harris, Miguel Olivo, Aaron Rowand and Kelly Wunsch.

Third-base coach Joey Cora and hitting coach Greg Walker are among the former Sox players on the SoxFest roster, as are Harold Baines, Britt Burns, Ed Farmer, Kevin Hickey, LaMarr Hoyt, Darrin Jackson, Jack McDowell, Bill Melton, Minnie Minoso, Billy Pierce, Moose Skowron and Bobby Thigpen.

General manager Ken Williams, assistant general manager Rick Hahn, broadcaster Ken Harrelson and 2003 Branch Rickey Award winner Roland Hemond are also on the roster.

That's why I call him the "Big Skirt". For a big strong athelete he sure has a thin skin. Maybe he should shut the hell up and play baseball and not say stupid s*** like the quote that is my signature. Maybe then Guillen wont give him as much s***.

Maybe we should put a bonnet on him and wheel him into Soxfest in a baby carriage, rattle and all.

if you can believe the media reports, Ozzie has tried to contact frank to sit and chat several times.

Frank has waved him off.

There's a new sheriff in town. And it's important for Ozzie to set the tone for the way he's running the show and the clubhouse. Frank doesn't want to do Sox Fest. Fine. But he needs to do what's asked of him in Tucson, drop the grudges against Ozzie and play -- first, DH, center field, relief pitcher, whatever.

That's why he's getting his $6 million.

And his Big Hurt feelings routine is getting really old.

really, really, really old

The humor in putting any faith in any of this s*** is hurting my stomach from laughing. Slow news day.. let's make a big deal - from an UN-NAMED source - about Frank not attending Sox Fest... :rolleyes:

Kinda odd how this story comes out the same day the Cubs start their convention. Which by the way their slugger Mr. Sosa will not be attending.

Kinda odd how this story comes out the same day the Cubs start their convention. Which by the way their slugger Mr. Sosa will not be attending.

OMG.. .wonder why..?? Maybe he's pissed that Darrin got a better autograph signing request than he did... :o

:lol:

The humor in putting any faith in any of this s*** is hurting my stomach from laughing. Slow news day.. let's make a big deal - from an UN-NAMED source - about Frank not attending Sox Fest... :rolleyes:

The point ( for me, anyway ) is not the source, or whether or not Frank will attend SoxFest.

What bugs me is how easily I can believe any story about Frank and his hurt feelings.

The Big Hurt Feelings! New Nickname!!!

I'm just tired of hearing stories every off-season about him and his moods.

The point ( for me, anyway ) is not the source, or whether or not Frank will attend SoxFest.

What bugs me is how easily I can believe any story about Frank and his hurt feelings.

The Big Hurt Feelings! New Nickname!!!

I'm just tired of hearing stories every off-season about him and his moods.

Slow news day....

And it's been reported so many time, and obviously believed, so why not. It sells papers.

That's why I call him the "Big Skirt".  For a big strong athelete he sure has a thin skin.  Maybe he should shut the hell up and play baseball and not say stupid s*** like the quote that is my signature.  Maybe then Guillen wont give him as much s***. 

Maybe we should put a bonnet on him and wheel him into Soxfest in a baby carriage, rattle and all.

Knowing frank through his career, he's never knew how to keep his mouth shut. You think he'll start now? That's how he is. :rolleyes:

"There's a reason that he and Ozzie still haven't spoken. I'm sure Frank will handle it like a professional once spring training starts, but if he doesn't have to talk to (Guillen) right now, he's not going to."

When has Frank handled anything like a professional. He has always been a little whinning B***H

Frank Thomas called me and said he would be out drinking with his friends instead of going to Sox Fest, it has nothing to do with Ozzie, but instead has to do with the White Sox will not give him the prime location for selling autographs and they are using more pictures of Magglio on their press releases.

Look I can make up a story as an unnamed sorc too.

Unless there are quotations around what Frank Thomas said, the unnamed source did not even have to have talked to Frank for the reporter to print that.

Since Thomas is a public figure, unless the writer wrote the piece with "malice", in legal terms actual knowledge that Frank Thomas did not say that, then he can print whatever he wanted.

So take what you read with a grain of salt if there are no quotations, in most cases it is either fabricated or I heard from a friend who heard form a friend.

SB

'01 is the only one I know about. I didn't go in '00 though.

I tend to thing Frank is a cancer and the Sox would be better without him, but I would be inclined to cut him some slack in missing a SoxFest or two.

I think the atmosphere may be a little tense (bordering on negative) anyway this yearand adding Frank to the mix and giving the media a chance to feed on the Frank/Ozzie issue can't be good. If he indeed doesn't show up, I can't say it would be a bad move.

I work across the street from the hotel and will not be going why should a guy fly in from Vegas? Ozzie is a joke and this team will prove it. Joey Cora and Ozzie Guillen will make this team a mockery thereby allowing uncle jerry to come in next year with a $30M payroll. If I was Frank I would sit back swing from the heels and try hitting 50 homers and sign somewhere for the minimum next offseason. Buerhle, Garland, Loiaza, all have to improve dramatically for us to win and I do not see it happening. What fanfare is there to be had in that?

Oh wow, a pissy Frank Thomas....what were the odds of that????

Ugh.

For such a huge man, he sure has thin skin.

Maybe Ozzie should keep his mouth shut. What the the heck kind of B.S. is that ripping a guy less than 24hrs. after you were named manager. I don't blame Frank one bit for being pissed at Ozzie. Ozzie couldn't keep his mouth shut when he was a player. Telling the media what he expected from Frank before he even spoke to Frank was way out of line. But get used to it. This team is going to fail miserably this year. This is just the beginning of a whole lot of jack-ass things Ozzie is going to do this year. The guy was a jack-ass when he played and he is a jack-ass now. He never met a curve-ball in the dirt or two feet over his head that he didn't like. Yet he is going to lead us to a championship? Right... Ozzie left here flapping his gums and came back and started right where he left off.

Maybe Ozzie should keep his mouth shut.  What the the heck kind of B.S. is that ripping a guy less than 24hrs. after you were named manager.  I don't blame Frank one bit for being pissed at Ozzie.  Ozzie couldn't keep his mouth shut when he was a player.  Telling the media what he expected from Frank before he even spoke to Frank was way out of line.  But get used to it.  This team is going to fail miserably this year.  This is just the beginning of a whole lot of jack-ass things Ozzie is going to do this year.  The guy was a jack-ass when he played and he is a jack-ass now.  He never met a curve-ball in the dirt or two feet over his head that he didn't like.  Yet he is going to lead us to a championship? Right...  Ozzie left here flapping his gums and came back and started right where he left off.

when I move the Ozzie death Watch fom Sox&Roll to here, will you help me keep it up?

Everything you say, I fear is true.

I tend to thing Frank is a cancer and the Sox would be better without him, but I would be inclined to cut him some slack in missing a SoxFest or two. 

I think the atmosphere may be a little tense (bordering on negative) anyway this yearand adding Frank to the mix and giving the media a chance to feed on the Frank/Ozzie issue can't be good. If he indeed doesn't show up, I can't say it would be a bad move.

Good point Rex and I agree, but just to play devil's advocate for a second, wouldn't it be better to get the inevitable media scrutiny over with now in a more casual environment than to wait for the highly charged atmosphere of reporting day? Even if it's to say little more than "I don't need a relationship with my manager to play baseball".

Good point Rex and I agree, but just to play devil's advocate for a second, wouldn't it be better to get the inevitable media scrutiny over with now in a more casual environment than to wait for the highly charged atmosphere of reporting day? Even if it's to say little more than "I don't need a relationship with my manager to play baseball".

In my mind, UNS, no. All that would do is create a frenzy and feed it up until Spring Training. They want SoxFest to be a positive time for all, and allowing the media to jump all over an issue like that would just poison the whole thing.