Marvin Benard, outfielder

Guest JimH

A buddy of mine from the Bay Area called and said one of the White Sox minor league/spring invitees will be Marvin Benard, outfielder. He's played with the Giants since '95 or so. Left handed hitter, can play all three OF positions.

Benard had a couple of very nice years out there, but he's been pretty well off the radar for the last two.

Don't know if he's been hurt or what. Also, I can't seem to find out how old this guy is.

I do not see this signing listed anywhere, my buddy says he heard it from a guy who's connected with the Giants.

Hmm he's pretty old high 30's I think. Probably end up bein this year's Rios.

No, he has actually done a little bit in his career. Struggled last year, but many players struggled last season. No errors the last two years. He was born 08.04.1970, so he is 33 years old. A left handed bat, and I think he will help the team, if he really was invited to spring training.

Stats

Reed should have almost no chance of making it, he needs time in AAA. EOS.

The ????? will be if JoeB can impress this ST, even then there's worse things to do than carry 5 OFers. Say like, carry 3 catchers.

JimH, how old is rumor?

My buddy called me this afternoon, said he heard it yesterday from the connection with the Giants.

So there could be some things "pending" on this.

But we shouldn't have to wait long, the Sox said all the spring invites would be announced by Monday. Don't know if we'll see any more invites after the list they release by Monday.

Reed should have almost no chance of making it, he needs time in AAA. EOS.

The ????? will be if JoeB can impress this ST, even then there's worse things to do than carry 5 OFers. Say like, carry 3 catchers.

JimH, how old is rumor?

Reed has a much better shot at making the team than Borchard. Case Closed. But I wouldn't want neither of them as 4th OF's also IMO.

Reed has a much better shot at making the team than Borchard. Case Closed. But I wouldn't want neither of them as 4th OF's also IMO.

It's all about ST. Remember Julio Ramirez a few years ago? Only way that Reed or Joe are up here is if they are starting. Joe could possibly be up here without starting, Reed there is no way. All I know is that Joe better start producing.

Reed has a half season at AA.

He'd have to hit .400 this spring to have a chance to start in Chicago.

Borchard has already been in AAA two full seasons. He needs to turn it around and make the club. Most guys who play three AAA seasons end up playing a fourth or a fifth and then sell insurance.

It's time to Joe to deliver.

But Marvin Bernard would be a fine pickup as a utility outfielder.

bernard wouldnt be a bad pick up for a team looking for bench help...unfortunately the sox dont need a 4th outfielder...we are loaded with them...we need a real starting CF..not a corner outfielder that has back up written all over him given the position because he has a grinder mentality...

My buddy called me this afternoon, said he heard it yesterday from the connection with the Giants.

So there could be some things "pending" on this.

But we shouldn't have to wait long, the Sox said all the spring invites would be announced by Monday.  Don't know if we'll see any more invites after the list they release by Monday.

Thanks JimH, I didn't know about the Monday schedule for invites so I got two good tidbits in one post. :D :D

A buddy of mine from the Bay Area called and said one of the White Sox minor league/spring invitees will be Marvin Benard, outfielder.  He's played with the Giants since '95 or so.  Left handed hitter, can play all three OF positions.

Benard had a couple of very nice years out there, but he's been pretty well off the radar for the last two.

Don't know if he's been hurt or what.  Also, I can't seem to find out how old this guy is.

I do not see this signing listed anywhere, my buddy says he heard it from a guy who's connected with the Giants.

Bernard Sucks. He doesn't have nothing left He has no knees. Dam Eric Owens could be a good fit, sorry that that f***er called the Owner is toooo cheap. Sad ;)

Oh Picked Up Vic darensburg too

There is no way Reed makes the big club. Half a season at AA doesn't cut it. He's not ready. Joe Borchard can make it, and if he has closed that hole, he might even earn a starting spot. Picking up Bernard can't hurt, if this rumor is true.