Jeremy Reed our starting CF in April?

Elcaballo45

Do you think he as a chance to grab this spot over willie harris and rowand? I mean, i've heard rumors that he wouldnt be called up until mid season unless he just absolutely tore the cover off the ball in spring training...

Here's what yahoo sports has to say :

OUTFIELD

Best for 2004

Jeremy Reed was perhaps the most surprising player in the minors last season. He showed leadoff skills with his high batting average (over .400 at Class AA) and very good speed. Reed also has some pop and showed he can be an RBI man, driving in 95 runs. He could compete for the White Sox's center field job in spring training.

I'm VERY curious to get a look at Jeremy Reed this spring.

I hope he can at least push Rowand ( or whoever is "the Choice" going into ST ) to be better and play solid CF.

Maybe he can do more than that and win the job himself.

It would be a good thing for the Sox, and the Sox NEED all the good news they can get.

Gusy, I hope no one is disappointed, because I don't think Jeremy will excite you when first watching him.

Jeremy is a baseball player, but he is not flashy and there is not a lot of sizzle with him other than his ability to make some pretty amazing catches in the field. Jeremy is the type of player that you don't notice that much until you look at the end of the game and realize he was on base three times.

He will hit more singles than anything else and many of those will be ground calls through the infield or just line drives over the infield. He doesn't have blinding speed. He is an aggressive baserunner, but his speed will not wow you at first glance.

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment. Reed is a true baseball player and although that doesn't sound too exciting, it is a huge compliment. He is the kind of player you will enjoy watching everyday, but catching him in 3 or 4 ST games may not allow you to really appreciate his abilities.

Make sense?

Gusy, I hope no one is disappointed, because I don't think Jeremy will excite you when first watching him. 

Jeremy is a baseball player, but he is not flashy and there is not a lot of sizzle with him other than his ability to make some pretty amazing catches in the field.  Jeremy is the type of player that you don't notice that much until you look at the end of the game and realize he was on base three times.

He will hit more singles than anything else and many of those will be ground calls through the infield or just line drives over the infield.  He doesn't have blinding speed.  He is an aggressive baserunner, but his speed will not wow you at first glance.

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment.  Reed is a true baseball player and although that doesn't sound too exciting, it is a huge compliment.  He is the kind of player you will enjoy watching everyday, but catching him in 3 or 4 ST games may not allow you to really appreciate his abilities.

Make sense?

If he is that type of ballplayer, I want him up with the Sox. But, I don't want them to rush him and mess his head up.

Yeah, thats the most important i think, is not rushing up here. Seemed like Raush got up here to fast, and he's still down in the minors a year and half later....

To the post about Reed not impressing anyone at first... thats fine, i usually dont expect too much from rookies, im just hoping that he can add good defense, and sound plate skills (small ball) which it sounds like he can do...

God knows we need someone that can bunt now that Robbie is gone...

Carlos, your our best bunter now, GO GET EM!

To the post about Reed not impressing anyone at first... thats fine, i usually dont expect too much from rookies

I can see it now...... (not necessarily from you)

After Jeremy Reed goes 1-12 in his first 4 spring games, the Jeremy Reed is overrated thread goes up. This guy is slow, has no power and will be completely overmatched against MLB pitching. The Sox farm is all hype and no substance. How can Sox fans ever trust management to get us good players when they won't spend money to get free agents and they won't spend money on scouts to get us good players, not overrated crap like Jeremy Reed!

Anyone wanna take wagers that some idiot will start a thread at least similar to that?? :D

Jeremy is a baseball player, but he is not flashy and there is not a lot of sizzle with him other than his ability to make some pretty amazing catches in the field.  Jeremy is the type of player that you don't notice that much until you look at the end of the game and realize he was on base three times.

He will hit more singles than anything else and many of those will be ground calls through the infield or just line drives over the infield.  He doesn't have blinding speed.  He is an aggressive baserunner, but his speed will not wow you at first glance.

Don't set yourselves up for disappointment.  Reed is a true baseball player and although that doesn't sound too exciting, it is a huge compliment.  He is the kind of player you will enjoy watching everyday, but catching him in 3 or 4 ST games may not allow you to really appreciate his abilities.

Make sense?

So you're saying he's what KW wants, a grinder (even though he is a Dirtbag. HAHA IM FUNNY!!! No?).

Jeremy is simply " a baseball player". Call him a grinder, dirtbag, or whatever because they all are true. He goes about his business professionally and does all the little things you want in ballplayer. But his tools and athletic ability aren't over the top. He'll get things done, but I just hope Sox fans aren't expecting too much.

Yeah, thats the most important i think, is not rushing up here.  Seemed like Raush got up here to fast, and he's still down in the minors a year and half later....

To the post about Reed not impressing anyone at first... thats fine, i usually dont expect too much from rookies, im just hoping that he can add good defense, and sound plate skills (small ball) which it sounds like he can do...

God knows we need someone that can bunt now that Robbie is gone...

Carlos, your our best bunter now, GO GET EM!

i think you can rush an everyday player to the majors with less rish than a pitcher..but it is ideal to wait until they are ready...but this franchise is wierd..they rush pitchers and seem to take forever to bring up position players...reed might not show for another 3 years they way things run around here..probably about the same time borchard gets his next start :o

The one position player they did rush is Aaron Rowand. He was brought up and used as a 4th OF when he should have been playing every day in AAA. When Rowand and Crede were in Birmingham, their coaches felt Rowand had as good of a chance to be a good player in the Majors as Crede. They felt he had more power potential than Crede.

The Sox took their time with Crede, yet Rowand didn't get the opportunity to develop the same way.

After Jeremy Reed goes 1-12 in his first 4 spring games, the Jeremy Reed is overrated thread goes up.  This guy is slow, has no power and will be completely overmatched against MLB pitching.  The Sox farm is all hype and no substance.  How can Sox fans ever trust management to get us good players when they won't spend money to get free agents and they won't spend money on scouts to get us good players, not overrated crap like Jeremy Reed!

Anyone wanna take wagers that some idiot will start a thread at least similar to that??    :D

You know it is coming. Unless he tears up ST right from the start, someone will start a thread like that.

The one position player they did rush is Aaron Rowand.  He was brought up and used as a 4th OF when he should have been playing every day in AAA.  When Rowand and Crede were in Birmingham, their coaches felt Rowand had as good of a chance to be a good player in the Majors as Crede.  They felt he had more power potential than Crede.

The Sox took their time with Crede, yet Rowand didn't get the opportunity to develop the same way.

but rowand was a dumbass that drove a dirtbike off a cliff..knowing the CF was his to lose he should have spent the off season (this is in my humble opinion - as a guy that never got paid to play hahaha) in winterball / working out to make sure he gave himself the best possible chance to prove himself... he's responsible for his own setback...

he's very lucky though... alot of guys get one shot and thats it..they are never heard from again...he's got a 2nd chance..i hope he junked the dirtbike

Honestly I think JR needs a couple more months at the minors. It is such a huge jump from 1/2 a year at AA to the majors. And if he isn't going to be starting somewhere, I don't want him here anyway. I think Borch has the edge simply because of how much more he has played, but you never know what can happen going into the spring.

i can imagine it now.

the "f*** Jeremy Reed" thread.

who started the cotts one?

I remeber that thread too. (when I was a guest) I hate when people say stuff like that. Cotts was just a rookie. What I saw from him, I think he'll be a hellova pitcher one day. I hope Reed can come out of the gate in ST. He knows what it takes to be a professional hitter (see bottom of my sig. he said) If he dosen't make it as our center firlder, I wouldn't be upset at all. I just want him to impress, and see if he's ready for the challenge. I'm sure he is. :headbang :bringit

i can imagine it now.

the "f*** Jeremy Reed" thread.

who started the cotts one?

I can't recall who started that thread, the worst thing about it was that Neal actually posted on this site.

We are extremely fortunate to have Neal post on these boards, Neal will make that asshole eat his words. Book it.

CWSOX45

After Jeremy Reed goes 1-12 in his first 4 spring games, the Jeremy Reed is overrated thread goes up.  This guy is slow, has no power and will be completely overmatched against MLB pitching.  The Sox farm is all hype and no substance.  How can Sox fans ever trust management to get us good players when they won't spend money to get free agents and they won't spend money on scouts to get us good players, not overrated crap like Jeremy Reed!

Anyone wanna take wagers that some idiot will start a thread at least similar to that??    :D

I can't believe anyone on this board has ever said anything like that..ever...

Reed is most likely slated for AAA, right? He probably should be and no reason to rush him. However, it really sounds like he is the type of ballplayer that can suddenly blossom and there you are with Reed in Chitown early.

I can't recall who started that thread, the worst thing about it was that Neal actually posted on this site.

We are extremely fortunate to have Neal post on these boards, Neal will make that asshole eat his words. Book it.

CWSOX45

And that's why I can't figure out what all this garbage talk is on possible trades and Neal Cotts, Joe Borchard, et al, our most promising rookies being included in trade talk. The trades are all exretremely suspect anyway and just seem to be a way for some malcontent poster or troll to get us all in a dander.