A lesser name player I think the Sox should get...

Soxbadger

I think that Chone Figgins of the Angels could be a really nice pick up if we could find something to trade the Angels. With the Addition of Vlad, Guillen, Figgins is now the odd man out unless they plan to play him at 2b.

Figgins stats from last year:

2003 71 240 34 71 9 4 0 27 20 38 13 7 .296 .345 .367 .711

And in played both CF and 2b:

2003 Ana 2B 14 12 105 51 23 27 1 6 .980 4.29 .957

2003 Ana CF 44 40 354 109 108 1 0 0 1.000 2.77 .876

If the Sox are trying to imitate the Marlin's or get some speed at the top of the order, Figgins and Harris could be a poor mans version of Castillo and Pierre. Figgins SB are considerably lower than Pierre's first season, but he may be able to improve those numbers if he is given the chance to steal more frequently.

I would try and offer the Angels Valentine for Washburn,Ortiz, Percival, (or any other $5mil or salary player) and Figgins.

Angels would then have Eckstien as their super utility guy instead of Figgins, and have improved their power at SS. The reality is next years Angels are not going to be stealing alot of bases, etc with the lineup they have. Why not put a 20+ hr SS in your lineup when it is only costing you something you already have enough of.

I doubt it happens, but Uribe, Figgins, and Harris (Or Rowand) up the middle would be fast and hopefully a defensive upgrade that would give our team some speed that we have been lacking. If we could add a SP or good bullpen pitcher, that would be all the better.

SB

Figgins may be cut lose because DaVannon is their 4th outfielder and I think he may be out of options. He upset the Angels when he refused to go to Winter ball.

Personally I'd prefer prying DaVannon and/or Washburn but if they could pick up Figgins for a lesser prospect I'd be more then happy. It gives the Sox a little more options and Figgins really played well late last season.

Although I don't think the Angels want to touch Valentin. Eckstein will be there leadoff hitter and if they deal him it means moving Erstad (Their 2 hole hitter) to the leadoff slot, something they don't want to do.

Plus, I don't even think the Angels would do Valentin for Washburn or Ortiz, let alone give us Figgins as well.

If the Sox were to get Figgins, I'd guess the most they'd have to give up is Ginter and they could get away with something less.

Yeah I know, sadly the Angels really do not need anything that the Sox have to offer, although I think the Angels have a bunch of guys the Sox could use.

As for Davannon, I have never seen him play, just trying to come up with some guys who other teams likely want to move, or will lose who could fit into the Sox line up and provide them with a different look.

Unless a suprise "blockbuster" trade happens, I think the Sox could still improve enough to make sure that they are in first or second place come All-Star break, and then be able to make a major move.

SB

I like that idea, with Harris and Figgins we'd have the speed to intimidate teams at the top of the order. Figgins was a pretty solid hitter the second half of the year, didn't he hit well over .300?

As for Willie, I have faith he's going to show us he's capable of being a solid lead-off guy.

CWSOX45