A-Rod Trade

israel4ever

On another note, a Dodger website said on the Dan Patrick show it was repoted that Nomar would go to the White Sox who would trade him to the Angels for 2 pitchers.

Id guess, Nomar for Percival and Washburn or Nomar for Wash or Ortiz, etc etc.

Either way, Im just getting so damn sick of these huge rumors and nothing happened.

I was all for the Nomar trade back in December when free agents were available etc, etc.

But the time has come and gone, Sox just need to buckle up, try and trade Konerko for Perez, or something or just go to spring training and hope our own talent steps up in pitching.

SB

On another note, a Dodger website said on the Dan Patrick show it was repoted that Nomar would go to the White Sox who would trade him to the Angels for 2 pitchers.

Id guess, Nomar for Percival and Washburn or Nomar for Wash or Ortiz, etc etc.

Either way, Im just getting so damn sick of these huge rumors and nothing happened.

I was all for the Nomar trade back in December when free agents were available etc, etc.

But the time has come and gone, Sox just need to buckle up, try and trade Konerko for Perez, or something or just go to spring training and hope our own talent steps up in pitching.

SB

I can't stand hearing anymore rumors about this...I'll worry about it when it HAPPENS...but...that being said

This would essentially trading Mags for Washburn and Percival....I belive Washburn and Percival are both up for FA after 2004....Does this really benefit us?

I agree with greasy. I'm not going to discuss or get excited over this trade again. Once I hear it has gone down......then i'll be different. I think we have played this to death this offseason, either get it done or drop it.

I think the thought is that it is easier to fill RF than CF. I think the Sox are more comfortable with Rowand/Reed/Borchard playing RF than they are in CF....

One thing that would concern me about getting Perez is that his numbers are greatly helped by pitching in Dodgers stadium and that he's only an average pitcher away from there.

I think the thought is that it is easier to fill RF than CF.  I think the Sox are more comfortable with Rowand/Reed/Borchard playing RF than they are in CF....

One thing that would concern me about getting Perez is that his numbers are greatly helped by pitching in Dodgers stadium and that he's only an average pitcher away from there.

(see: Chan Ho Park).

I have to agree with the assessment that you build your team up the middle. Everything else can be built around that. Nomar is a good piece to that puzzle.

Dammit, I wasn't going to speculate again because this has been talked about for two months now.

:o

I wonder what Nomar is thinking now, this was just posted on MLB.com a couple days ago.

Nomar happy to still be with Sox

Boston shortstop back in area for annual kids clinic

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

NORTH EASTON, Mass. -- Shortstop and home plate aren't the only areas that Nomar Garciaparra has patrolled with marvelous skill during his seven years with the Red Sox. This man who hails from Southern California has established deep and meaningful roots in the Boston area.

Garciaparra was back in the area Saturday, cheerfully holding court during his annual winter hitting clinic at Stonehill College.

As 500 kids and many of their parents listened intently to every word out of Garciaparra's mouth, it became blatantly apparent just how awkward it would have been if that trade for Alex Rodriguez was consummated back in December.

Forget about the Red Sox without Garciaparra. The real loss would have been for the kids in New England, who view the shortstop as a larger-than-life figure.

Knowing full well that many of these kids were probably wondering how he was holding up on the heels of this uncertain offseason, Garciaparra put them all at ease at the outset of his question-and-answer session.

"How many people are wondering how I'm doing and all that stuff? I'm doing great. Absolutely wonderful," Garciaparra announced to the audience. "I feel great. I'm working out and getting myself ready for the season. I'm excited for the season. Have you seen our team right now on paper? It's pretty good. The other good thing about that paper is I'm still on it, too."

At that point, the room broke out in laughter -- or was it joy? -- over Garciaparra's light-hearted comment.

"Nomar is my son's favorite," said Carolyn Lombardi, who sent her son Ryan to Garciaparra's clinic as a present for his 10th birthday. "Nomar has a reading program and he really encourages that. He talked to the kids about his academic (excellence) at Georgia Tech. It can't only be about baseball and it's wonderful that he tells kids that. He tells them that they need to be well-rounded. I like his presence. He's what I want my son to see."

Which is why so many kids and parents in these parts wanted nothing to do with the winter trade talk involving the two-time batting champion.

If Rodriguez had been dealt to Boston for Manny Ramirez, Garciaparra could have been placed in the awkward situation of holding this Boston-area camp as a member of the White Sox or Dodgers.

Make no mistake about it, Garciaparra is happy that he will be putting that Red Sox uniform back on in late February when he reports to Spring Training.

"I've always said that there's one place I want to play and this is it," Garciaparra said in a session with the media. "This is the place I've loved. I've never said anything different. Just coming here and seeing 500 kids, getting to meet 500 kids and shake hands and take pictures with them -- is there anything better than that? That's pretty special."

When Garciaparra holds his hitting clinic on some frigid January day a year from now, there's no guarantee he will still be property of the Red Sox. He is entering the final year of his contract.

What is the status of talks toward a long-term extension?

"I don't know what's going to go on from here. Right now, I can only focus on getting myself ready, " Garciaparra said. "It's really up to them. The ball is kind of in their court."

Beyond that, Garciaparra said that any potential progress toward a long-term extension will stay private. However, he did promise that his less than certain future status will have zero bearing on his focus heading into 2004.

"Right now, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not worried about it. I'm not going to discuss it. I'm not thinking about it one way or the other. I'm under contract with the Boston Red Sox. I'm looking forward to the season. It isn't about my contract," Garciaparra said. "It's about having a great year with a great team. I think we have a great team. We're just trying to win the World Series."

Even though he knows the Red Sox contemplated trading him, he says that there is no lingering hurt. He is as excited about this season as any other.

"Hurt? What do I need to be hurt about? I got married. I'm teaching 500 kids here today," Garciaparra said. "I'm fortunate enough to play baseball. I'm healthy, my body feels great. I'm playing the sport that I love."

While Garciaparra wasn't thrilled by the fact he learned of the A-Rod discussions through the media, he is fine with the fact that he got caught in the middle of the business side of baseball this winter.

"I know baseball is a business. I understand that," he said. "I've always said that I can't control the business part of baseball. That's not my job to control that. My business is to go out there and play baseball on the field, and do it the best I can."

He is excited about some of his new teammates.

"Curt Schilling I played with on the (U.S. All-Star) Japan tour, I got to know him there. He's a great competitor," Garciaparra said. "Pokey Reese, I talked to him when we had him for two days (in the winter of 2001). I'm looking forward to playing with him."

Garciaparra is sad that Grady Little won't return for a third season as manager of the Red Sox.

"I'm going to miss him. He was wonderful to play for. We're still friends."

But one thing that will cushion that loss is that Garciaparra played for Terry Francona in the Arizona Fall League back in 1994.

"If we had to replace (Little), we got someone who's just as good," said Garciaparra. "I know (Francona). He treats everyone professionally. Even in the Arizona Fall League, he made you feel like a Major Leaguer. His attitude is, 'I'm going to treat you like a professional.' "

But on this winter day, Garciaparra -- decked out in blue jeans and a grey pullover - wasn't working with professionals. He was mentoring kids and enjoying every second of it.

Said Garciaparra: "Looking at these kids smiling and enjoying the game, that's what it's about. It's great."

Most recent information on the whole trade.......

The Red Sox, Rangers and agent Scott Boras are denying reports that the Alex Rodriguez talks are about to resume. It appears that the ESPN report was nothing more than a false alarm. "That report is baseless," Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said. "We just heard about it and I was surprised by it, John Henry was surprised by it, Larry Lucchino was surprised by it and Tom Werner was surprised by it. It's unfortunate someone can fabricate a story and that Nomar Garciaparra and Manny Ramirez have to read about it in the press."

So, once again it seems the trade is "dead."