Betran get a staggering $9mil

LostInBoston

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Outfielder Carlos Beltran and the Kansas City Royals agreed Tuesday to a $9 million, one-year contract.

Beltran, who had filed for arbitration last week, is eligible for free agency after this season and the Royals have said it is unlikely they will be able to sign their star to a longterm deal before then.

Despite opening the 2003 season on the disabled list, Beltran led the team with a .307 batting average, 102 runs, 26 homers, 100 RBIs, 72 walks and 41 steals. It was Beltran's fourth season with at least 100 runs and 100 RBI.

Beltran will anchor a lineup that also features two-time All-Star Mike Sweeney and two-time MVP Juan Gonzalez, who agreed to a $4.5 million, one-year deal with the Royals earlier this month.

``We think he can be one of the best players of his generation. He's really looking forward to the season. He's been working very, very hard,'' Kansas City general manager Allard Baird said. He said the team wanted to ``get this taken care of'' so Beltran could concentrate fully on baseball.

Last month, Baird said the Los Angeles Dodgers wanted to trade for Beltran, but were unable to offer anyone the Royals wanted in return for their leading offensive player.

Baird has consistently said he expects Beltran to ``be the starting center fielder for the Kansas City Royals on opening day.''

Damn, KC's going all out!

HUH!!!! :o

I'd Rather have Beltan at 9 Million than Maggs at 14. Beltran can run, Field and Hit. He's worth it

I was going to say the same thing JoshPR. 9 million is just about right for Beltran. He's a switch hitter, plays great D, potential 40/40 man, hits .300 draws some walks, 100 Runs 100 RBI man. Come on. And just like josh stated, I'd rather take this stud then spend 14 mil. a year on maggs who basically puts up the same #'s, if not less.

Yeah Beltran is only, what, all of 26? Is he even in his prime yet?

Having said that, is he worth 9 Mill for a team with a 45 Mill payroll? I dunno, they are going for it I guess. Wall-Mart boy is worht 20 Bill, so what's an extra Mill or two for him?

Yeah Beltran is only, what, all of 26?  Is he even in his prime yet?

Having said that, is he worth 9 Mill for a team with a 45 Mill payroll?  I dunno, they are going for it I guess. Wall-Mart boy is worht 20 Bill, so what's an extra Mill or two for him?

It was either sign him for $9 million, trade him or risk paying him more after arbitration.

Beltran's stats were just as good or better than Magg's and Beltran missed most of the first month of the season.

Beltran

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

2003 141 521 102 160 14 10 26 100 72 81 41 4 .307 .389 .522 .911

Maggs

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

2003 160 606 95 192 46 3 29 99 57 73 9 5 .317 .380 .546 .926

Beltran's stats were just as good or better than Magg's and Beltran missed most of the first month of the season.

Beltran

YEAR G AB R    H    2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA  OBP SLG OPS

2003 141 521 102 160 14 10 26  100 72 81  41  4  .307 .389 .522 .911

Maggs

YEAR G AB R  H    2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

2003 160 606 95 192 46 3 29  99  57  73  9 5 .317 .380 .546 .926

True, Beltran's stats were close. But Maggs had a BELOW AVERAGE YEAR FOR HIM. Pardon the caps lock.