Sox Top 10 Prospects

Rex Hudler

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not really much for scouting, all my beliefs would just be parroting what I read on this board so most likely my guesses would of been the same as those I percieve to be the most knowledgeable, and who actually have had the chance to see these players.

The point of my post is, good luck to any and all players who are in the Sox system and read these boards. I think that all of us wish everyone of you the best of luck, because if you are all awesome it only helps the team in the long run.

And making it to the minors is better than most of us could of even dreamed of, many would of just liked the chance to play in High School.

Best of luck and keep up the hard work, and hopefully every one of you that has posted on this site makes it to the Majors, and becomes far richer than I could ever imagine.

SB

Has anyone mentioned Ruddy Yan?  He stole 76 bases last year and could potentionally be the future 2B of the White Sox.

I mentioned him in my "just missed" list. Having repeated High A at Winston-Salem, he will need to have a big year this year. I know nothing about his defense, but his bat is where he needs to prove himself.

Jeff:

I've been a Chisox fan for a long time, and I like to follow the progress of certain players through the organization.  I have been interested in your career since I read your scouting report in the BA Top 30 Prospect Handbook a coupla years ago.

My favorite type of baseball player is a hard-throwing pitcher, thus the interest in you. 

Please answer a question for me if you can:  It seems we've seen a lot of pitchers come up from our farm system with the reputation of being mid to hi 90's guys, and then we see them top out in the lo 90's in the majors.  My question:  How often is a pitcher's velocity talked about and addressed during his minor league career, and how much emphasis is placed on it?

And I hope to see you in the bigs soon (in a Sox uni of course)

First of all, thanks for the support. Second of all, a lot of times you read about a guy in college or high school or even the minors throwing 97 MPH, for example and then he gets into the minors or majors and then his velocity drops. This isn't always the way it is though. Many times that 97 MPH you hear about happened once or twice and the kid usually throws anywhere from 91-95! It's a wierd situation because now everyone expects that 97 when he averages 92-93 (which is still hard) In the minors they are trying to put the whole package together: mechanics, location and speed. And they always say velocity doesn't matter, but you and I both know that if you're throwing 99 as opposed to 89 then you'll get to the show a lot faster!! Baj

Jeff, I agree that you have a definite chance to play in the Majors.  There is no doubt you were the best reliever on the Barons staff last year throughout the year.  If they didn't hang you with that 8-run disaster, your numbers would have been mind-boggling.

Keep plugging away and never take anything for granted.  There are lots of RH relievers with similar stuff.  Performing at the right level at the right time may just be what gets you that break.

I wish you the best of luck in Charlotte this year. And by the way.........

Go LSU! ;)

Thanks Rex! Always appreciate the kind words. Ya, that 8 run debacle killed me, but oh well, it's part of the game :lol:

Go OU!!! I can't believe Westy got a ring already!!

Hey Baj, you know we'll be pulling for ya. 

In your opinion what is the one part of your game that you feel is your strongest asset and which do you think is your weakest. 

And as far as Bullard goes, I think this could be a big time year for him.  The Sox obviously have their lefties set up this year, but after this, you have Wunsch who will probably be let go and then the Sox will have Marte and Munoz, assuming Arnie is the real deal which will open up a slot for a lefty next year. 

Considering how Jim could fit in as a sport starter, lefty reliever in the pen, it could give him a nose up on what looks to be his other competitor, Dave Sanders. 

So are ya getting excited for Arizona Baj? :headbang

thanks!!

My strongest asset is my heart and work ethic. Weakest would have to be the fact I have had 3 arm surgeries (2 elbow, 1 shoulder) Although 2 of those were before I was even 18! Also the fact that RH relievers that throw low to mid 90's are a dime a dozen.

Can't wait to get to Tucson! Been working hard. Later , Baj

I mentioned him in my "just missed" list.  Having repeated High A at Winston-Salem, he will need to have a big year this year.  I know nothing about his defense, but his bat is where he needs to prove himself.

My theory on Yan, who I've always liked a lot is until he proves to hit, he's somewhere in the 20 to low 30 range.

Guy has tons of speed though. But his struggles after repeating at Winston Salem weren't something to write home about. I'm hoping he will put up some good numbers in Bham and get going.

Defensively I saw him make a few spectacular plays (Great range), although his arm is iffy. I think he could develop into an above average defensive 2nd baseman. The entire question, like Rex said, is can he get on base.

Jeff, I watched the National Championship Game and couldn't believe Westy got so much PT. It is absolutely amazing to me that he could go from playing baseball in August to the big stage in only a few months, after having not played football since 1998.

Good luck in Tuscon. Hope we don't see you back in Birmingham again. :)

Yay, a good thread! After reading through the 8 or so pages, just found one thing that wasn't quite right.

Tisch is a LH, not RH.

Oh, and Rex I've got a question for ya. I heard that Reed's apartment lease expired when he was in Birmingham and he found a new home sleeping in the Barons clubhouse. Any truth to this, because I might want to put this in Jeremy's bio for the FutureSox list. (Yes, I'm writing about Jeremy, and I just rattled off about 500 words on him. Yay!)

Yay, a good thread! After reading through the 8 or so pages, just found one thing that wasn't quite right.

Tisch is a LH, not RH.

Oh, and Rex I've got a question for ya. I heard that Reed's apartment lease expired when he was in Birmingham and he found a new home sleeping in the Barons clubhouse. Any truth to this, because I might want to put this in Jeremy's bio for the FutureSox list. (Yes, I'm writing about Jeremy, and I just rattled off about 500 words on him. Yay!)

I have heard players will sometimes let their leases lapse and stay in the clubhouse during the last few days of the playoffs, since they don't know when the season will be over. I have no idea if Jeremy did that or how many guys did it this year, if any. I have never gotten the impression that they stay there more than a couple of days. Either way, it wouldn't be something rare that Reed did that no one else has.

Sorry, i can't be more specific.

Rex, are you a subscriber, will you report?

My subscription lapsed and I was gonna wait until the season started.

I think i can still get in on the chat though ... I don't believe that will be limited to subscribers.

Rex, are you a subscriber, will you report?

My subscription lapsed and I was gonna wait until the season started.

I think i can still get in on the chat though ... I don't believe that will be limited to subscribers.

My guess is that someone else here will beat me to it. But I will check, and if time at work permits, I will post the list.

In case anyone wants the complete list (I did beat you to it Rex), I've started another thread with the complete 10 top with analysis.

You sort of beat me to it..... The list was up at midnight last night and I posted it on another board. I was too damned tired to do this one too, so I bailed and figured I would get to it for SoxTalk sometime today. ;)

You sort of beat me to it.....  The list was up at midnight last night and I posted it on another board.  I was too damned tired to do this one too, so I bailed and figured I would get to it for SoxTalk sometime today. ;)

Rex, another board???

Not giving Soxtalk top priority... :nono :nono

Just kidding... :D

Rex, another board???

Not giving Soxtalk top priority... :nono  :nono

Just kidding... :D

Actually, my man, I came from another board to here that I like very much as well. I have even been posting on WSI lately as well, so that means I either have no life or am just a message board slut...............

Or a combination of both. :lol: