Mike Imrem- Daily Herald Article

quickman

Good Article. I agree totally. The Sox Front Office has put all of the blame on the fans over the years and I've always had a problem with that. Instead of trying to improve themselves, they put the blame on us. That's one big reason why our attendance is so damn crappy.

I read the article too, thought it was excellent.

If this franchise were only better at developing young players, a lot of that whole discussion would be moot.

GOD BLESS MIKE INREM!!!!

He hit the nail on the head!! The problem lies not with the apathy of the fans,but with the apathy of the asshole known as Reinsdork.I am a Sox fan who will go to 27-30 games this year,but this is the last year I do this if I hear Kenny Williams spout excuses like "If the fans show up,we'll get reinforcements".

f*** YOU!!!!!!

If you open a restaurant in the slum known as Wrigleyville,you'd better make sure you have something people want.You can't expect people to just walk in when you open your doors.You've got to give people a reason to eat at your establishment.This club should be ahsmaed of what it has become.The White Sox are one of the most fan friendly organizations in baseball,but if the owner and GM continue to walk around with their heads up their asses,this club could be contracted within the next few years.

:fthecubs :angry: :angry:

I read the article too, thought it was excellent.

If this franchise were only better at developing young players, a lot of that whole discussion would be moot.

Not only developing but keeping young players. We used to be real good at it. See Ron schuler regime and Roland Hemond Regime. At least we could add a player from our Minor league system each year.Another article in the same paper was on Whitesox marketing. I think Rob Gallas actually sucks. His commercials blow and this year they will focus on Ozzie Guillen as a main drawing and focal point. That is just great. Ozzie Guillen was no super star, and quite frankly if they did there homework Ozzie doesn't appeal to the masses. I also feel they will rely on the ballpark renovations to help bring in fans THIS year. People will come out to see the park but if the baseball sucks they won't come back. That simple.

You want people to come, Build some euphoria with your minors, Spend money on a stud pitcher, get one more big name free agent with marketing power, and quit acting like your the Detriot Tigers. Grow the f*** up. Act like your a class organization. Surround your coaching and mangement staff with professional Baseball people. Big screen TV's with pizza games only go so far.

Oh yeah... Jose jose jose jose jose jose jose jose....Please give me a break. Stupid asses.

Big screen TV's with pizza games only go so far.

Oh yeah... Jose jose jose jose jose jose jose jose....Please give me a break. Stupid asses.

:lol: :lol:

Hey TQ, are you making an effort to be funny or does it just come naturally to you???

:lol:

Another article in the same paper was on Whitesox marketing. I think Rob Gallas actually sucks.

You want people to come, Build some euphoria with your minors, Spend money on a stud pitcher, get one more big name free agent with marketing power, and quit acting like your the Detriot Tigers. Grow the f*** up. Act like your a class organization. Surround your coaching and mangement staff with professional Baseball people. Big screen TV's with pizza games only go so far.

AMEN!!!!

Another problem.Gallas is an ass,no question.This mope better realise Ozzie Guillen alone is not gonna get it done.Sox fans are not lemmings.They want more than a mediocre team,a $4.75 kosher hot dog and a $4.00 bottle of Diet Pepsi.

:angry: :angry:

Jimbo,

I am in one of those moods. My sense of humor just gleems!!!!!!!!!! :P

So this would be a bad time to ask what you really think of

O-E-O, Magglio ... ?

i also totally agree :headbang  If the Sox were to win again it would do wonders for the organization. Look at the Angels they drew almost nothing and after they won the series they had the third highest attendence in American League. SPEND AND WE WILL COME

Fans like us will go no matter what just for the love of our team. But the sox need to appeal to the 'casual' chicago baseball fan. 'Cause right now, 100% of those are cub fans. And it's not just because of wrigley field, it's because, god i hate to say this, the cubs are the better team in chicago right now. That franchise is at the top of the peak, while the sox, well........aren't even close.

Amen.

The Sox spend too much time talking about what they CAN'T do and what ISN'T possible and what WON'T work that the subliminal message they send to their fans is negative, negative, negative. It's supposed to be FUN at the ol' ball park, not hopelessness.

Three things:

1. The Central Division is horses*** with several other teams that love to cry poor. The franchise in the largest city in the Division should be the big dog, not one is that is always crying about fan support. Hell 1.9 million last year was damn good considering the way the team played the first two months.

2. The Cubs ain't going away. Deal with it, KW and JR. If anything, their team should even be stronger the next couple of years. So hire some people who have a different spin on marketing and carve out your own niche. Ten to 12 years ago the Sox were more popular. What's changed? Figure it out and fix it.

3. Cut prices. In the summer, the crowds jump on half-price Mondays and Tuesdays. That tells me people think tickets are too expensive. Wouldn't it be better to price your way to larger crowds, broaden your fan base, build loyalty and try to make some of the money back on concessions and souvenirs?

Sometimes this franchise just pisses the hell out of me.

I've always felt this way too. It's a f*** of a lot easier for one man, JR, to change his ways than it is for 1.5million people to collectively change theirs.

And yeah, those commercials last season were just absolutely f***ing horrible. I had the Extra Innings package so I got to see ads from several teams. Most were rather humorous or got your blood pumping a bit, seeing your team advertised in a positive light. Not the Sox though, their ads were just plain dumb. Dumb to the point where you get that f***ing scrunched up look on your face and want to change the channel. That f***ing "i'm lovin' it" from McDonalds kind of dumb. There are telemarketers I've talked to on the phone that had a better advertising slogan/approach than the f***ing white sox.

One day the Reinsdorf era will end...each day until that day will do nothing more than test our dedication to this franchise. If you can make it through this s***ty era you know you're a Sox fan for life.

Fans like us will go no matter what just for the love of our team.  But the sox need to appeal to the 'casual' chicago baseball fan.  'Cause right now, 100% of those are cub fans.  And it's not just because of wrigley field, it's because, god i hate to say this, the cubs are the better team in chicago right now.  That franchise is at the top of the peak, while the sox, well........aren't even close.

Exactly...I really don't understand what JR and KW are thinking at the moment. It's proven the attendance grows when we have a winner; they were just one game shy of surpassing 2 million people in USCF last season w/ the close division race, etc. People DID come out, and we're still slashing payroll. I love the Sox no matter what, but having Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand in the everyday starting lineup is not going to attract the casual fans to the ballpark. I just don't know when this team will ever get out of this "rebuilding" stage.

Great points by all - Lets look at chicago from a casual fan standpoint. I am not saying this is all true or right but looking at it from a casual fan standpoint.

1) Wrigleyville- great place to spend a weekend, lots of eats , bars, and women.

2) Aura of wrigley - Won't go away but still needs to be considered.

3) Fun in the Sun lots of great looking women. Us cellular lacking big time on good looking women.

4) Great promotions. beannie babies and so on.

5) "cubbies" appeals to kids. Ask my kids. Are you a stinky socks fan or a Cute cubbie fan.

6) Money- Money surrounds Wrigleyville. And these casual fans go to the games then go out partying.

Ok what is the way to appeal to casual fans when these other things are not available to you?

1) Put a team on the field prior to the season that people can get excited about. Spend money and get into the playoffs. This works all the time.

2) market better. What there doing isn't cutting it. fire Gallas and get somebody to change things around. I hear this year they will heavily market to the mexican community. Fine, but that won't work. The mexican communitee although fine people do not have the cash to put you over two million fans. Market to that communittee in that communittee, not in mass media. That doesn't appeal to me personally and won't make me buy more tickets. I can see it now a commercial with Ozzie saying something in spanish and english. Great, big appeal. Target market Ozzies message to those communittees.

3) Make the park and surroundings safer. I know that it is safe but the perception is that it is not. Change it fast.

4) I want my kids to say Dad its beannie baby day can we go? Or its Daddy daughter day Can we go? Appeal to the kids. Target kid channels on TV with a message that will appeal to kids.

5)Management needs to personally appeal to the people. they are statues and are untouchable. Dusty Baker was the best thing that happened to the Cubs. His kid roams around the park and looks cute. Dusty appeals to the casual fan. Its like a family over there.

6) Use the media better. The sox do not use the media to there advantage.

7) Don't schedule Sox fest on superbowl weekend- Dumb asses.

8) Quit being cheap with everything. You look cheap, you draw cheap.

9) Don't mess up- The seat debacle this year was a mess.

10) Build from within. Fans like young players that are there's. They want to grow up with there own players. (Prior, Wood, Buerhle, Maggs, Lee, Thomas, Zambrano, Rowand, Crede, Durham, Patterson. Fans glob onto these guys.

I've always felt this way too.  It's a f*** of a lot easier for one man, JR, to change his ways than it is for 1.5million people to collectively change theirs. 

And yeah, those commercials last season were just absolutely f***ing horrible.  I had the Extra Innings package so I got to see ads from several teams.  Most were rather humorous or got your blood pumping a bit, seeing your team advertised in a positive light.  Not the Sox though, their ads were just plain dumb.  Dumb to the point where you get that f***ing scrunched up look on your face and want to change the channel.  That f***ing "i'm lovin' it" from McDonalds kind of dumb.  There are telemarketers I've talked to on the phone that had a better advertising slogan/approach than the f***ing white sox. 

One day the Reinsdorf era will end...each day until that day will do nothing more than test our dedication to this franchise.  If you can make it through this s***ty era you know you're a Sox fan for life.

Totally agree!

The most telling thing about the article was it's placement... Imrem could have written that article at anytime during the offseason, but it ran today, right next to an interview with Gallas.

At first when I picked up the paper I was like whoa two sox articles on the front page, WOW. But then I realized that the one totally discounted the other. Imrem essentially called Gallas an idiot in not so many words. I'm not impying that the Herald has a bias against the sox like the Cubune does, because they usually give first billing to the team who's playing the best, but by running those two articles on the same day, on the front page, they did an objective job of covering the Sox.

There's an incredible amount of ignorance, anti-Reinsdorf hatred and just plain garbage in this thread.

First, its been repeatedly demonstrated that if the Sox spend big and/or win big that folks will NOT flock to the games. Case in point: 2000 when the Sox won 95 games and the AL Central Division while the Cubs lost 90 games and finished dead last in the NL Central. Guess what? The Cubs substantially outdrew the White Sox attendance-wise.

Second, 1.9 Mil. in attendance is hardly sufficient to fund the vast spending programs that so many here want. Also, the Sox ticket prices are far less than what several other MLB teams such as the BoSox charge, yet there is a demand in this thread that the Sox reduce their already reasonable ticket prices and have even more discounting. In other words, you want higher spending with even lower revenues.

Third, there is a pre-occupation with the stupid Cubs and their place in the Chicago baseball world in this thread. Specifically, there is a misbelief that the Cubs are outdrawing the Sox because they are a better team and will do even better next year. The success of the Cubs attendance-wise have nothing to do with the quality of the team as shown by the fact that during the Reinsdorf Era, the Sox have generally outperformed the Cubs in the W-L column, yet the Cubs outdraw the Sox. In 2003, the Cubs won only 2 more games than did the Sox, but the Cubs had substantially greater attendance than the Sox. There are many reasons for this beginning with the fact that the Tribune Co. owns the Cubs and has been using its media outlets to promote the Cubs while dumping on the Sox. The only way that the Sox could possibly overcome this media bias is for the ownership to buy its own media properties.

Finally, the last thing that you folks really want is for a savvy businessman such as Donald Trump to come in and buy the Sox because such an individual would soon realize that the South Side is insufficient to the cause of adequately supporting the and would find a way to bust out of the agreements for the Sox to remain at Comiskey for the next 2 decades or so. That way, the businessman would be able to move the team to another city such as say New Orleans or Louisville where there would be sufficient attendance to make owning a MLB team a worthwhile endeavor.

There's an incredible amount of ignorance, anti-Reinsdorf hatred and just plain garbage in this thread.

First, its been repeatedly demonstrated that if the Sox spend big and/or win big that folks will NOT flock to the games.  Case in point:  2000 when the Sox won 95 games and the AL Central Division while the Cubs lost 90 games and finished dead last in the NL Central.  Guess what?  The Cubs substantially outdrew the White Sox attendance-wise.

Second, 1.9 Mil. in attendance is hardly sufficient to fund the vast spending programs that so many here want.  Also, the Sox ticket prices are far less than what several other MLB teams such as the BoSox charge, yet there is a demand in this thread that the Sox reduce their already reasonable ticket prices and have even more discounting.  In other words, you want higher spending with even lower revenues.

Third, there is a pre-occupation with the stupid Cubs and their place in the Chicago baseball world in this thread.  Specifically, there is a misbelief that the Cubs are outdrawing the Sox because they are a better team and will do even better next year.  The success of the Cubs attendance-wise have nothing to do with the quality of the team as shown by the fact that during the Reinsdorf Era, the Sox have generally outperformed the Cubs in the W-L column, yet the Cubs outdraw the Sox.  In 2003, the Cubs won only 2 more games than did the Sox, but the Cubs had substantially greater attendance than the Sox.  There are many reasons for this beginning with the fact that the Tribune Co. owns the Cubs and has been using its media outlets to promote the Cubs while dumping on the Sox.  The only way that the Sox could possibly overcome this media bias is for the ownership to buy its own media properties. 

Finally, the last thing that you folks really want is for a savvy businessman such as Donald Trump to come in and buy the Sox because such an individual would soon realize that the South Side is insufficient to the cause of adequately supporting the and would find a way to bust out of the agreements for the Sox to remain at Comiskey for the next 2 decades or so.  That way, the businessman would be able to move the team to another city such as say New Orleans or Louisville where there would be sufficient attendance to make owning a MLB team a worthwhile endeavor.

So you feel as if this franchise is being run at an optimal level? You feel that advertising is both effective and efficient? You feel that player development is sufficient? You feel that Reinsdorf and company are barely making a profit? You feel that White Sox popularity in Chicago has not slipped since 1980? You feel that 2 million in attendance is acceptable in a market the size of Chicago? You believe players are happy to be a White Sox?

I can't believe that you can answer yes to even half of the questions I've listed. An owner, regardless of their level of business savvy, who wants to win would do a much better job of solving the problems that many of us see with this franchise. If you're happy, then so be it. I'm not. :angry:

First, its been repeatedly demonstrated that if the Sox spend big and/or win big that folks will NOT flock to the games.  Case in point:  2000 when the Sox won 95 games and the AL Central Division while the Cubs lost 90 games and finished dead last in the NL Central.  Guess what?  The Cubs substantially outdrew the White Sox attendance-wise.

Second, 1.9 Mil. in attendance is hardly sufficient to fund the vast spending programs that so many here want.  Also, the Sox ticket prices are far less than what several other MLB teams such as the BoSox charge, yet there is a demand in this thread that the Sox reduce their already reasonable ticket prices and have even more discounting.  In other words, you want higher spending with even lower revenues.

Third, there is a pre-occupation with the stupid Cubs and their place in the Chicago baseball world in this thread.  Specifically, there is a misbelief that the Cubs are outdrawing the Sox because they are a better team and will do even better next year.  The success of the Cubs attendance-wise have nothing to do with the quality of the team as shown by the fact that during the Reinsdorf Era, the Sox have generally outperformed the Cubs in the W-L column, yet the Cubs outdraw the Sox.  In 2003, the Cubs won only 2 more games than did the Sox, but the Cubs had substantially greater attendance than the Sox.  There are many reasons for this beginning with the fact that the Tribune Co. owns the Cubs and has been using its media outlets to promote the Cubs while dumping on the Sox.  The only way that the Sox could possibly overcome this media bias is for the ownership to buy its own media properties. 

Finally, the last thing that you folks really want is for a savvy businessman such as Donald Trump to come in and buy the Sox because such an individual would soon realize that the South Side is insufficient to the cause of adequately supporting the and would find a way to bust out of the agreements for the Sox to remain at Comiskey for the next 2 decades or so.  That way, the businessman would be able to move the team to another city such as say New Orleans or Louisville where there would be sufficient attendance to make owning a MLB team a worthwhile endeavor.

Actually it appears that you are taking bits and pieces from several responses. In fact I feel what I personally was saying is the Sox org is in disarray from top to bottom. If in fact the sox continue to point to fans as a problem then this disarray will continue. To summarize:

The sox need help with:

The Media.

Management.

the Minors

Marketing

and payroll.

yes i think JR should look into selling. But that is beside the point. The real point is they have made a number of mistakes and they continue to do so. I offered different ways to increase the casual fan something which escapes the Whiteosx today. I also believe that increasing the season ticekt base is crucial but that will not happen unless you put a good ballclub on the field.

Eitherway you feel I find the articule very sound.

Great points by all - Lets look at chicago from a casual fan standpoint. I am not saying this is all true or right but looking at it from a casual fan standpoint.

1) Wrigleyville- great place to spend a weekend, lots of eats , bars, and women.

2) Aura of wrigley - Won't go away but still needs to be considered.

3) Fun in the Sun lots of great looking women. Us cellular lacking big time on good looking women.

4) Great promotions. beannie babies and so on.

5) "cubbies" appeals to kids. Ask my kids. Are you a stinky socks fan or a Cute cubbie fan.

6) Money- Money surrounds Wrigleyville. And these casual fans go to the games then go out partying.

Ok what is the way to appeal to casual fans when these other things are not available to you?

1) Put a team on the field prior to the season that people can get excited about. Spend money and get into the playoffs. This works all the time.

2) market better. What there doing isn't cutting it. fire Gallas and get somebody to change things around. I hear this year they will heavily market to the mexican community. Fine, but that won't work. The mexican communitee although  fine people do not have the cash to put you over two million fans. Market to that communittee in that communittee, not in mass media. That doesn't appeal to me personally and won't make me buy more tickets. I can see it now a commercial with Ozzie saying something in spanish and english. Great, big appeal. Target market Ozzies message to those communittees.

3) Make the park and surroundings safer. I know that it is safe but the perception is that it is not. Change it fast.

4) I want my kids to say Dad its beannie baby day can we go? Or its Daddy daughter day Can we go? Appeal to the kids. Target kid channels on TV with a message that will appeal to kids.

5)Management needs to personally appeal to the people. they are statues and are untouchable. Dusty Baker was the best thing that happened to the Cubs. His kid roams around the park and looks cute. Dusty appeals to the casual fan. Its like a family over there.

6) Use the media better. The sox do not use the media to there advantage.

7) Don't schedule Sox fest on superbowl weekend- Dumb asses.

8) Quit being cheap with everything. You look cheap, you draw cheap.

9) Don't mess up- The seat debacle this year was a mess.

10) Build from within. Fans like young players that are there's. They want to grow up with there own players. (Prior, Wood, Buerhle, Maggs, Lee, Thomas, Zambrano, Rowand, Crede, Durham, Patterson. Fans glob onto these guys.

TQ ...

If you haven't written a letter directly to Reinsdorf, you should. Your long standing support of the team should carry some weight, in addition to your season tickets.

I will sign my name too.

On that hot women issue, though ... you need to get out by my seats more :headbang

TQ ...

If you haven't written a letter directly to Reinsdorf, you should.  Your long standing support of the team should carry some weight, in addition to your season tickets.

I will sign my name too.

On that hot women issue, though ... you need to get out by my seats more  :headbang

Jimbo,

I already wrote him a mail. Falls on deaf ears, anyway, I don't go to Comiskey to look at women but please don't tell me that we have better looking women than wrigley.