Possible Three Way Deal

aboz56

By Phil Rogers

Tribune baseball reporter

January 30, 2004

Aaron Boone's basketball jones could turn out to be a good thing for the White Sox.

While the New York Yankees don't know yet how much time Boone will miss from the knee he injured playing basketball, the likelihood is they will have to replace him. The Sox have two ways to fill the need, both involving shortstop Jose Valentin and achieving management's goal of creating a little payroll flexibility.

Health concerns involving a couple of players involved in talks could put these scenarios on hold until spring training, but talks could heat up as soon as the Yankees get a read on Boone. With some risk-taking, it's possible Ozzie Guillen's lineup could be overhauled drastically in the near future, if not by the end of the SoxFest festivities this weekend.

One simple possibility: Valentin goes to the Yankees for prospects and the defensively gifted Juan Uribe becomes a regular. The group of players available from New York includes left-handed-hitting outfielder Bubba Crosby and Triple-A pitchers Ramon Ramirez, Jorge DePaula and Scott Proctor.

It is the complicated scenario, however, that is the most interesting: Valentin and Paul Konerko go to Anaheim, Troy Glaus (recovering from a torn right rotator cuff) goes to New York and left-hander Jarrod Washburn and center fielder Darin Erstad (limited to 67 games last year from hamstring problems) come to Chicago. The Yankees would send prospects, possibly including top minor-leaguers like infielders Joaquin Arias and Robinson Cano, to both the White Sox and Angels.

Valentin and Konerko for Washburn and Erstad is essentially a cash-neutral proposition. But there are several ways this deal could be expanded, with one of them being that the White Sox insist on the Yankees taking Billy Koch's $6.375-million salary.

While the New York payroll would climb, the hit isn't out of the question if the Yankees decline to pay Boone, who violated the terms of his contract by playing basketball.

Anaheim reportedly is willing to move Glaus, who like Erstad played a huge role in the 2002 World Series. It has third-base prospect Dallas McPherson coming and isn't likely to sign Glaus to the extension that would keep him beyond 2004, not with Vladimir Guerrero in the lineup.

There's nobody the Yankees could get who would be better than Glaus. But general manager Brian Cashman almost certainly would need to go through a third team because New York doesn't have a third baseman to send Anaheim.

Valentin is the perfect bridge piece. He was surprisingly solid at third base when Jerry Manuel used him there for 149 games in 2001 and '02, showing above-average range. His left-handed bat seems suited for Yankee Stadium. He and Shane Halter would make at least an adequate third-base platoon in Anaheim, or he could split time with Miguel Cairo or Erick Almonte in New York.

If Williams can pull off either of these deals, in particular one moving Konerko to Anaheim, the upside potential is great. The White Sox have lost some big pieces off their 2003 team but essentially are handing Guillen the same flawed nucleus that failed Manuel.

It could be time for a real shakeup, not just another fine-tuning of the group that has averaged 83 victories the last three seasons.

Uribe, a failed regular in Colorado, is only 24 but has played 314 big-league games. He has Gold Glove skills in the field and some power, though needs to improve his hitting.

Sound familiar? That was the scouting report on Florida's Alex Gonzalez before Guillen arrived as a coach to push him.

The White Sox and Angels have been talking about trades all winter but don't match up well because both want to move high-salaried players. But they could make a deal with the Yankees' help.

Here's how the Sox could look if they did a Valentin-Konerko for Erstad-Washburn (or another pitcher, such as Ramon Ortiz or John Lackey) deal:

1B--Carlos Lee (some in the organization believe he would be above-average defensively if he moved from left field; 2B--Willie Harris; SS--Uribe; 3B--Joe Crede; LF--Aaron Rowand; CF--Erstad; RF--Magglio Ordonez; Rotation--Mark Buehrle, Esteban Loaiza, Washburn (or Ortiz or Lackey), Jon Garland and Scott Schoeneweis.

That team would not have to rely as heavily on run production as the current model because it would have better starting pitching and be upgraded significantly in the field. It still would have Frank Thomas, Ordonez and Lee to provide firepower with Erstad providing a presence that has been lacking through the years.

Sure, Erstad is a risk. He's owed $24 million over the next three years--the same basic value as the Konerko contract but for an additional year. There's no guarantee he will stay healthy.

His .344 career on-base percentage was fattened considerably during his career year in 2000, when he hit .355 with a .409 OBP. But he brings a fierce presence the White Sox have been lacking.

Things are going to be different under Guillen, but he appears to need more help than Williams has been able to give.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting...But I would prefer Erstad at 1st base.

But I wouldn't be against Carlos at 1st, that would give Chicago two Lee's playing 1st!!

Wow, the media would have sooo much fun with that

:bang

Actually, now that I think about it more. Erstad could be moved to LF, leaving rowand in CF. Darrin won a Gold Glove for LF in 2000. This could minimize his chances of getting injured.

Carlos could move to 1st, having played 3rd in the minors.

It would take some training, but I don't think the defensive impact would be as severe as past experiments like Valentin to CF.

Our up the middle defense would be very good with Uribe at SS.

Actually, now that I think about it more. Erstad could be moved to LF, leaving rowand in CF. Darrin won a Gold Glove for LF in 2000. This could minimize his chances of getting injured.

Carlos could move to 1st, having played 3rd in the minors.

It would take some training, but I don't think the defensive impact would be as severe as past experiments like Valentin to CF.

Our up the middle defense would be very good with Uribe at SS.

I can't put my finger on it.. but I don't like Erstad. And a GG in 2000 means nothing after 4 years. Also, I don't think he's got the speed to patrol the outfield anymore.

I can't put my finger on it.. but I don't like Erstad. And a GG in 2000 means nothing after 4 years. Also, I don't think he's got the speed to patrol the outfield anymore.

He's always one dive away from a month or two stint on the DL.

That's why they want to get him out of the outfield ASAP.

I love the players we've got, but I think it's time to do something to shake it up.

I would also take Ortiz or Washburn, don't buy into Lackey, he did well on the biggest stage of all at the World Series, but beyond that Series, hasn't done much.

I would keep Rowand in center and Erstad in Left and see what CLee can do at first. I don't know much about Uribe, but if what you guys all say is true, our defense up the middle would be much improved, and that's good news.

MAKE A TRADE OF SOME SORT!

Is it that important to get a bat in return? What about if we just get Washburn/Ortiz and Percival for Valentin and Konerko?

With the uncertianty of the pitching staff... yea. If we can't stop them from scoring we might as well at least try to score more than them :lol:

But with the addition of a solid starter and solid reliever, it could take some of the pressure off of having to score so many runs.

Right.. with those additions. Problem is.. those additions haven't been made and don't appear to be a priority.

I like the infusion of speed into the lineup that this type of deal would bring. Having Harris, Uribe, Rowand, Erstad, not to mention CLee, Maggs and Olivo in the lineup would change us from a station to station....or station to double play team. The addition of a number 3 or 4 starter would be very welcome too.