Wins in 2004

knightni

How many wins will the Sox have in '04?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins will the Sox have in '04?

• 59-
    • 60-65
    • 66-72
    • 73-79
    • 80-85
    • 86-90
    • 91-95
    • 96+

i figure us for about 75 wins..though thats not a strong opinion...there are so many variables this year...from a new manager and coaching staff to a bunch of guys up the middle that still havent proved anything about how they will play everyday...and a pitching staff thats full of question marks too..

we could win 100..we could loss 100..nothing would surprise me...

one thing id add..this team as constructed will never be a consistant playoff team like oakland is now or cleveland was in the mid to late 90's..any given year they can win the division if things go right...but to have everything go right year after year just wont happen

We will do very well.

I believe.

I agree with you as well Brando. With the agressive style Ozzie is going to bring over I think we will do very well. Our defense should be just as good if not better than it was at any point last year. I think Willie has more range and a better arm than Alomar. If he is good at turning double plays then he will be really good. Is Rowand worse than Everett was in center? I highly doubt it. I know he isn't tops at the position, but Everett was far from great in center either. The only thing I see hurting us right now is our lack of a #4 and 5 starter and a left handed bat in the line up. Besides that I really like our team. I think it will be an exciting year!!!

The last couple years have been huge disappointments. Expecting division titles and getting nothing!! Watching the cubs go to the playoffs and actually winning a playoff series. This year if we don't win it will be disappointing to me, but not as bad as the previous 2 years. I think we are going to have a fun club to watch. I can't wait!!!

I just think the past two years really sucked, actually 3 years. We were all hyped up about the season and look what happened. This year is just the opposite and I think the team is way better then most everyone gives them credit for.

They still have some holes, but so do most teams and now they will need a few players to step up and if things work out a few prospects/younger players may fill those holes.

79-83 and a 3rd place finish in the ALC

KC got tougher, CLE will be tougher, MIN we will lose all but 1 game in the dome.

We'll get slaughtered outside of our division by everyone but TX.  The west is solid except for TX.  The East got a lot tougher this year with Baltimore stepping up, TOR should be decent, and Sweet Lou doing his thing down in TB.  Our national league games are not going to be cake, especially our sets against the sCrUBS. 

Pitching will kill us, absolutely destroy us, as will the lack of a leadoff man.

I don't see how Cleveland has got better. I think this is just speculation that the young kids will start maturing and play better. I really don't get that though, how you can have faith in Cleveland's young guys, but not your own. I haven't seen much promise out of many of Cleveland's young guys.

KC seems to be everyone's team. People love Tony Pena. I don't see their starting pitching being very good this year. Would you rather have our pitching staff or theirs? I would take ours. I think we will be able to match their scoring. This is just speculation, but I don't think Beltran will be there the whole year. They can't afford him.

Minnesota has lost a lot of players. Key players. Their bullpen is devastated. Their starters are not very good besides Santana. Their line up was never very good.

I look at this division and I still think it is ours for the taking. Everyone has weaknesses including us. I find it easier to believe in our guys coming through than any other team in our division.

A f***ing nightmare. 3rd place and watch the ScRubs party.

We have taken a couple steps back and with all do respect to Zero, not many steps forward.

KC is going to improve. Minny may decline a bit but until we beat them we are looking at third.0670389773.jpg

I don't see how Cleveland has got better. I think this is just speculation that the young kids will start maturing and play better. I really don't get that though, how you can have faith in Cleveland's young guys, but not your own. I haven't seen much promise out of many of Cleveland's young guys.

KC seems to be everyone's team. People love Tony Pena. I don't see their starting pitching being very good this year. Would you rather have our pitching staff or theirs? I would take ours. I think we will be able to match their scoring. This is just speculation, but I don't think Beltran will be there the whole year. They can't afford him.

Minnesota has lost a lot of players. Key players. Their bullpen is devastated. Their starters are not very good besides Santana. Their line up was never very good.

I look at this division and I still think it is ours for the taking. Everyone has weaknesses including us. I find it easier to believe in our guys coming through than any other team in our division.

Cleveland improved tremendously last season. They are going to be a very scary team in a couple of years. They are doing an outstanding job of rebuilding.

KC has an excellent bullpen, strong defense, solid hitting, and great chemistry...those things will help them overcome a weak starting rotation, IMHO. Their staff is only going to improve from last season.

Minny got weaker but the Sox cant' win in the dome. Never have, never will. The place suits the Twins style of ball...not ours.

It's just a prediction man. I pray that we win this division...i just don't see it being an easy task. I don't look at our roster and immediately think winning season. I don't look at our division and immediately think that we've got it locked up. Of course, I did do that the last couple of years and we came up short. Perhaps things will change this year. I just think that this may be a very long season.

But I'm a glutton for punishment and will be subscribing to the Extra Innings package again so I can watch our team fall short of .500 ball. I already warned the ole lady that I'll probably be in a bad mood all summer.

I think with the team we have now we could win 85-87 gms. And the good thing about that is the division can be won with that amount of wins. Orginally I was really down that we hadn't made any moves. But after a few weeks of really thinkin about it. This team might not be as bad as we think. For one. We had a lot of guys UNDERPERFORM last year. Mainly Koch and Konerko. In some ways Mark Buehrle and Joe Crede. If Koch, Konerko, and Buehrle perform like the have most of their careers THE WHOLE year that makes us a lot better right there. Crede had a really bad 1st half. Came alive in the 2nd...But I really believe last year was a good learning experience for him. And I totally expect .280, 25 hr's , 80-90 rbi's from him in 2004. I'm PRAYING Loaiza proves that 2003 was no fluke. Listening to a couple guys on the radio and the Hawk. They all think that this will FINALLY be the year Jon Garland breaks out. I guess they feel Jerry Manuel was holdin him back, and that could very well be true. Schowenweis as our #4 worries me a lil bit. But the organazation seems to have confidence in him. Hopefully Robert Person can be this years Loaiza. And the thing that seperates him from Loaiza is that he's HAD SUCCESS BEFORE. 5th starter is a toss-up between 4-5 guys. Hopefully one of our TALENTED pitching prospects steps up and fills the void. As far as our bullpen goes. Koch is the key. If he's even 90% of what he was in 02 we have a much better pen. I feel will be ok offensively...We know what Maggs, Lee, and Frank can do. Like I said earlier Crede will be fine. But it's now time for Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand to show what they can do. Bottomline is we have to have a lot of guys perform like they have in the past and like they're capable to win the this division. AND THANK GOD WE'RE IN THE SORRY ASS CENTRAL :bringit

I agree with hawk. I also believe that the other pitchers (Buerhle and loaiza) will be better this year as well. I believe, for some odd reason, that Willie Harris will also improve... ;)

How can Loaiza be any better? Geez, you don't expect much, do you? :lol:

Mark picks up what E-Lo drops off and we did not replace Bart. Then we add an unproven pitcher in the 5 spot and it is a nightmare. Add question marks at 1st, 2nd, and CF. Pray for a bargain basement closer from Japan with a great nickname and it's not looking too good.

Frank and Jose are another day older. Which is bad.

Lee, Crede, and Maggs are another day older and that is a good thing.

How can Loaiza be any better?  Geez, you don't expect much, do you?  :lol:

I meant better as in repeating. Loaiza could have won more than 21 games if he had the run support. His era could have been better as well. I think he could repeat and be even better than before on his stats.

Cleveland improved tremendously last season.  They are going to be a very scary team in a couple of years.  They are doing an outstanding job of rebuilding. 

i agree 100% on cleveland...im really impressed with the job they have done..they gutted that team and totally rebuilt it in two years...if they are willing to make a few moves at the break they could contend this year..but im sure they are on some kind of a 5 year rebuilding plan and will be in the same spot the sox were in '00...do we stick with the plan or make moves to win now??

btw..speaking of that '00 team..did any of those guys that we gave up for CJ and bainsey ever make it to the bigs???