Sleeper Prospect

Chisoxfn

I am curious who has a sleeper prospect that they think will come out and really position himself to be heralded as a top prospect.

Last season I think we can safely say that Pacheco came out of nowhere, this year who does everyone thing it is?

I'm curious cause I'm working on an article write now for FS where I'm going to discuss a few potential sleepers that I've noticed.

If you consider Orionny Lopez a sleeper still (we have him ranked pretty high on our Top 50 list that will be coming out in the next 10 days or so) then he's my pick.

But for a more realistic sleeper (not named Fabio Castro, who I think will be a stud) I am going to go with James Casey who was the 7th round pick last season for the White Sox. He was taken out of high school and played with Bristol last season where he went 2-2 with a 4.28 ERA in 10 games (6 starts). Over 40 innings he gave up 35 hits while striking out 41.

He was a two way player (Baseball and Football in high school).

From FutureSox's Draft Review

In the lucky seventh round, the White Sox selected James Casey from Azle High School in Texas. Casey was a senior right handed starter who gave up football to continue with his baseball career. Due to football conditioning, Casey brings nice size to the bump at 6'3", 200 pounds. MLB scouts rated Casey a 57 o­n the 20-80 scouting scale which put him among the state's top prep right-handers. His fastball stays around 88-89 mph, and his breaking pitches aren't bad either. He projects to be a starter but could end up as a closer also. Casey has signed and is playing for Bristol ®.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious who has a sleeper prospect that they think will come out and really position himself to be heralded as a top prospect.

Last season I think we can safely say that Pacheco came out of nowhere, this year who does everyone thing it is?

I'm curious cause I'm working on an article write now for FS where I'm going to discuss a few potential sleepers that I've noticed. 

If you consider Orionny Lopez a sleeper still (we have him ranked pretty high on our Top 50 list that will be coming out in the next 10 days or so) then he's my pick.

I'll tell you what he's not a sleeper for, and that's coolest name in the Sox minor league system. That's all his. :D

Lopez is a good choice. I have brought him up a couple of times as a sleeper prospect. Other names that people don't talk about that much/aren't that highly ranked(yet).

Brandon Bounds - Is a little old and will need to move through the system faster, but his power is hard too ignore(.326, 9 HR, 5 3B, 20 2B, 279 AB's, at advance rookie ball).

Clinton King - Part of last years draft class; he put up a solid year after a very slow start in rookie ball. Doesn't get much attention with other outfield prospects like Reed, Borchard, and Sweeney ahead of him. Coming out of college, he could advance through the system pretty quick.

Ricardo Nanita - Came out of nowhere to put up some impressive numbers. He has been mentioned by many other posters so he isn't that big of a sleeper.

Ryan Rodriguez - Has a great arm from the left side, and could be a sleeper if healthy next year.

Tim Tisch - A little on the old side, but he is a long lefty with a decent arm.

Fabio Castro - Put up a great year last year, and put himself on the prospect map.

Heath Phillips - A young lefty with great control.

Julio Castro - The "other" Castro who quitely put up a good year. He is a reliever so he doesn't get much attention, but he put up some pretty impressive numbers.

B.J. LaMura - I have never seen him pitch, but from what I have read, he has some of the best raw stuff in the system.

Todd Deininger - Pretty solid numbers, and flying under the radar.

Casey Rogowski - I have been listing players that put up pretty good numbers, but this is a guy that struggled and could rebound. I have always been a big fan of Rogowski, and while he doesn't have great raw tools, he does do everything well at 1B.

Dennis Ulacia - Had a great year 2 years ago, but has fallen off some since then. He is still relatively young and has good control from the lefty side. He could be another rebound canidate.

Andy Gonzalez - While we are on the possible rebound players, I think it is fair to mention Gonzalez. After a sub-par year, next year could be a make or break year for Gonzalez.

Gary Majewski - He doesn't get much attention, but has quitely put together some solid years and could be a future set up man, possible closer.

Ryan Hawkins - Doesn't get much attention, but he has an outside chance of making the Sox with his versitility.

I'd make Deininger my top sleeper, but I have raved about him so much that I can't really consider him a sleeper.

When Mark, me and Mario saw him pitch he was around 94, but I hear he throws as hard as 97. I liked his other stuff and he seemed to have a good feel for pitching, although he is raw despite being a college pitcher.

Lamura definately has good stuff, I'd like to see him make some strides with the Warthogs this season. I think that was an excellent sleeper choice of yours.

Rodriguez and Haigwood will both be interesting follows, since they are coming back from injuries. Both have high ceilings though (assuming they are healthy).

If Valido and Gray keep hitting, the Sox may actually have some middle infield prospects (well, we could at least say plural, and you never know, maybe Gonzalez and Pedro Lopez can turn things around as well...plus if Yan can put up better numbers, wowzers).

My two sleepers are Sean Tracey and Daniel Haigwood. Tracey is 90-95 with a filthy cutter and new changeup with control, and Haigwood has the best stuff I've ever seen. Once he is good to go with his knee injury he will shoot through the organization.

I am going to be nosy, but is this McCarthy as in the Brandon in our minor league system?

Regardless Let me be the first to welcome you to Soxtalk!!!! :headbang

If he is then welcome Brandon McCarthy!!! :headbang :notworthy :snr :cheers Your a hellofa prospect. :D If it's not, then welcome mccarthyp :cheers

Matt Nachreiner. He's got da talent to make it in da big leagues, just depends on whether or not his body can take da punishment. He was 2-4 down at Great Falls with a 11.25 ERA.

Awesome pic, this guy has filthy stuff although he sure got lit up during his short stint.

But I'd give him some time and he may turn into a real winner. His knees are a huge question-mark. But with the advances of modern medicine, the Sox felt he was worth the risk and hopefully they will be right.

My two sleepers are Sean Tracey and Daniel Haigwood. Tracey is 90-95 with a filthy cutter and new changeup with control, and Haigwood has the best stuff I've ever seen. Once he is good to go with his knee injury he will shoot through the organization.

Welcome Aboard :snr

Is the changeup something new for this season or did he feature it last season??

He put up some pretty impressive numbers last season and he's now one of my favorites. I just realized he hails from UCI...not quite my school, but its like 5 minutes from my house :headbang

Awesome pic, this guy has filthy stuff although he sure got lit up during his short stint. 

But I'd give him some time and he may turn into a real winner.  His knees are a huge question-mark.  But with the advances of modern medicine, the Sox felt he was worth the risk and hopefully they will be right.

Hopefully he's bulked up a bit more durin da summer, but Roy Oswalt made it and succeeded in da big leagues, hopefully Nachreiner can do the same.

He developed it once he got to Great Falls and has been fine tuning it this offseason. He also put his head on straight after the debacle at Kannapolis, so he's good to go now. I don't know if he'll be big on prospect lists because of his age but he will certainly be someone you guys will get to know.