Maggs makes his position known

UofIChiSox

Good: "I want to stay in Chicago, where they gave me my first opportunity,"

Bad: "I think I have market value similar to that of Vladimir (Guerrero) and (Miguel) Tejada. It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again"

I personally say keep him, build around him, after this year, we lose Koch's salary, spend our money on a home grown superstar who wants to play for us.

whitesox.com on Maggs

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad:    "I think I have market value similar to that of Vladimir (Guerrero) and (Miguel) Tejada. It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again"

He's an idiot if he thinks da market is goin up again. Sure sum team may get desperate and otha him a Tejada type deal, but no way is he goin to get more than that.

His agent has to be nuts, the market is going to continue to go down. Not many teams are going to have a ton of money to spend next year (or at least it doesn't look like it) and I'd find it really shocking if Maggs got Vladdy type money.

I think he should be happy if he got 11 mill a year long term, but thats just me.

Isn't this a very different tune than the 'Magglio wants to test the free agent market' party line KW has been puttin out?

Magglio's quoted that he thought his market value was near Vlad or Tejada's numbers, both of whom are getting LESS than Maggs is this year. Doesn't sound to me like he turned down any negotiations, or that his starting point is unreasonable.

Is KW just a big liar?

There will be a number of other quality free agents available after 2004:

Nomar, Troy Glaus, Garret Anderson, Eric Chavez, Carlos Delgado, Richard Hidalgo, Geoff Jenkins, Jacque Jones, Corey Koskie, Derek Lowe, Pedro Martinez, Eric Milton, Matt Morris, Brad Radke, Mariano Rivera, Richie Sexson and Jason Varitek.

Obviously, Maggs is better than many of these guys. But he's also just turned 30, several years older than Vlad (28 this month) was this winter. And teams can usually find corner outfielders.

I hope he doesn't price his way out of chicago. You'd think a 5-year deal at about 11 or 12 per could keep a guy smiling for life.

Isn't this a very different tune than the 'Magglio wants to test the free agent market' party line KW has been puttin out?

Magglio's quoted that he thought his market value was near Vlad or Tejada's numbers, both of whom are getting LESS than Maggs is this year.  Doesn't sound to me like he turned down any negotiations, or that his starting point is unreasonable.

Is KW just a big liar?

No, none of what he said means he won't explore his worth on the free agent market, while giving the Sox a very fair chance to retain him. I think it fits right in with what has been said.

$11?  They offered him 4 years for $48 million.  more than fair.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

The market is going to go back up? Says who? I don't believe he will be making Vlad money. Vlad is 2 years younger, has a canon for an arm and is considered by many to be the best RF in all of baseball. Both defensively and offensively. I think we will resign him for less than the offer of 4 years for 48 million. This may actually work in our favor.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

The market is going to go back up? Says who? I don't believe he will be making Vlad money. Vlad is 2 years younger, has a canon for an arm and is considered by many to be the best RF in all of baseball. Both defensively and offensively. I think we will resign him for less than the offer of 4 years for 48 million. This may actually work in our favor.

Who says? His agent says...... Is he going to listen to his agent or you?? His agent, obviously.

That doesn't make you wrong and his agent right, but it is not hard to figure out why he thinks the way he does.

I'm scared s***less thinking about retaining Maggs....not that Maggs isn't a good player.

However, am I the only one here who remembers what he did with Konerko when he there was money available? Gave him 3-years, $23.5 mill or so for 3 good, not great years. Konerko isn't even a star-type player who you can build a franchise around. He also gave Koch, a guy who was coming off the best year of his career, but had actually been only a solid closer all his career with decent, not great numbers, $10+ mill over 2 years.

That brings me to my point. If we do in fact have money to spend(which we do), and KW really wants to retain Maggs....how much is Maggs going to get? $15 mill a year? More? (Hopefully) less?

I hope Williams has learned from his mistakes and does not do something stupid like that and commit a ton of our payroll to one player. IMO, Maggs is worth $12 mill a year tops....and I would personally only give him $10 mill or so. Kind of like take it or leave it.

KW:

The fact is that we have already approached Magglio and his representatives about a contract extension. We were told he wanted to play his free-agent year out and find out his value on the open market. With that said, it won't stop us from continuing our efforts to explore ways to keep him here.

Maggs:

There have been some early talks, but nothing formal," Ordoñez said. "I am waiting to see what the White Sox decide, but I'm not worried about those business matters. I am concentrating on continuing to put up numbers and stay healthy. The rest falls to my agent.

I think I have market value similar to that of Vladimir (Guerrero) and (Miguel) Tejada. It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again. I want a year a five- or six-year contract so that I can relax and be in one place for a long time. I hope that can be in Chicago, a city that I like a lot.

Rex, KW made it sound like the Sox approached Magg's folks but were told to go away because we're testing the market. Entirely different spin from Maggs' story.

He'll get the money he wants......................

He wants 5 years, 70+ Mill.

A career 890 OPS hitter whose defense and baserunning have slightly deteriorated and who has little name recognition/merchandise value?

Playing in a ridiculously pathetic division pitching-wise?

In a hitter's park?

Yeah, he'll get that money. :rolleyes:

I'm scared s***less thinking about retaining Maggs....not that Maggs isn't a good player.

However, am I the only one here who remembers what he did with Konerko when he there was money available?  Gave him 3-years, $23.5 mill or so for 3 good, not great years.  Konerko isn't even a star-type player who you can build a franchise around.  He also gave Koch, a guy who was coming off the best year of his career, but had actually been only a solid closer all his career with decent, not great numbers, $10+ mill over 2 years. 

That brings me to my point.  If we do in fact have money to spend(which we do), and KW really wants to retain Maggs....how much is Maggs going to get?  $15 mill a year?  More?  (Hopefully) less?

I hope Williams has learned from his mistakes and does not do something stupid like that and commit a ton of our payroll to one player.  IMO, Maggs is worth $12 mill a year tops....and I would personally only give him $10 mill or so.  Kind of like take it or leave it.

Totally agree on the money basis wsf. But I would do anything it takes to get maggs to stay. Not that I'm saying overpay for the man, but give him decent amount of money. I would definitely give him 11 or 12 million to a man who has been one of the most consistant hitters in baseball. 10 million for 2 years isn't going to cut it. He wants a long term contract, but I think the sox offer (I think 48 million for 4 years) is fair. The contract he got was just a tad overpaid, but he earned that money as of right now. (we'll see what he does this year.)

He wants 5 years, 70+ Mill.

A career 890 OPS hitter whose defense and baserunning have slightly deteriorated and who has little name recognition/merchandise value?

Playing in a ridiculously pathetic division pitching-wise?

In a hitter's park?

Yeah, he'll get that money.  :rolleyes:

Well maggs never got the chance to run with manuel. I believe with Ozzie's aggresive base running style, he'll get that oppurtunity. How can you say his defense has deteriorated? He had one of the best defesive years just last season. Yes, his name recoqnition has little value, but he is also a quiet player in on a team that doesn't get much recoqnition anyway..

My two cents which I know will be in the minority. I say if you can;t sign this guy by the trade deadline and we are out of it, then trade him and get something. Also if the dodgers would like to give me:

Perez

Jackson

Miller

Mota

I would trade his ass in a chicago Second. Even if they don't throw in mota I would trade him. Net net, if KW feels we won't sign him we need to get something for him. I don't care who is right, KW or Maggs. Get soemthing in return, do not take a chance he walks without something in return.

Well maggs never got the chance to run with manuel. I believe with Ozzie's aggresive base running style, he'll get that oppurtunity. How can you say his defense has deteriorated? He had one of the best defesive years just last season. Yes, his name recoqnition has little value, but he is also a quiet player in on a team that doesn't get much recoqnition anyway..

Maggs's bulkier, older and slower. Plain and simple.

His defense last year was nowhere near what it was in 97-99 seasons. ONly slightly above average and his arm was absolutely erratic.

Say he goes to the Mets. He would face much tougher pitching in NLE, will play in pitcher's parks for a change, plus extra pressure because of the big contract. If he couldn't get 100 RBI with us last year, he might not get 90 under those circumstances.

Again, he is not very marketable. Further hurts his value.

Outside of 2002 which appeared to be a career year, Magglio is a 10-12 Mill a year player.

I hope he proves me wrong and busts out for an 1100 OPS/145 RBI season. That will work. :headbang

My two cents which I know will be in the minority. I say if you can;t sign this guy by the trade deadline and we are out of it, then trade him and get something. Also if the dodgers would like to give me:

Perez

Jackson

Miller

Mota

I would trade his ass in a chicago Second. Even if they don't throw in mota I would trade him. Net net, if KW feels we won't sign him we need to get something for him. I don't care who is right, KW or Maggs. Get soemthing in return, do not take a chance he walks without something in return.

Agreed 100%...

Maggs, atleast IMHO, didn't have a great year last season. He had a hot month or two right after the break and those months really helped his #'s. He didn't seem very clutch either. To get just Jackson and Miller for him would make me happy. I mean Maggs is a helluva ballplayer, but not $12-$15M good. For that money I want 25SB, >.315BA, 40+HRs, >110RBI and excellent defensive skills. I don't see those statistics coming from Maggs.

I really like Maggs a lot, but if he thinks he has similar market value as Vlad and Tejada he is getting horrible advice.... He is a very good player, but to compare himself to one of the best players in the game and a top 4 short stop is just insane.... I think 11-12m a year for 4 years is a fair deal...

However, it is good to see Maggs say he is interested in staying in Chicago... I don't think we've seen that before this statement