Maggs makes his position known

UofIChiSox

My two cents which I know will be in the minority. I say if you can;t sign this guy by the trade deadline and we are out of it, then trade him and get something. Also if the dodgers would like to give me:

Perez

Jackson

Miller

Mota

I would trade his ass in a chicago Second. Even if they don't throw in mota I would trade him. Net net, if KW feels we won't sign him we need to get something for him. I don't care who is right, KW or Maggs. Get soemthing in return, do not take a chance he walks without something in return.

We can't get that now for Maggs, let alone at the trade deadline. Expect less in July.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maggs's bulkier, older and slower.  Plain and simple.

His defense last year was nowhere near what it was in 97-99 seasons.  ONly slightly above average and his arm was absolutely erratic.

Say he goes to the Mets. He would face much tougher pitching in NLE,  will play in pitcher's parks for a change, plus extra pressure because of the big contract.  If he couldn't get 100 RBI with us last year, he might not get 90 under those circumstances. 

Again, he is not very marketable.  Further hurts his value.

Outside of 2002 which appeared to be a career year, Magglio is a 10-12 Mill a year player.

I hope he proves me wrong and busts out for an 1100 OPS/145 RBI season. That will work.  :headbang

If my memory serves me correctly, Maggs had 29 hrs. and 99 rbi's 1 shy of your 100 rbis u were talking about. He has been getting 100 rbis 30 hrs. years for I believe 4 or 5 straight seasons. Bulkier? Slower? and Older? How your talking, it sounds like your talking about Sammy Sosa in his early now late years. Maggs is only 30yrs. old comming into this season. He has above average speed and his arm is mediocre. He had been training with Arod to get him faster, stronger, and more endurance comming into the season that year. And you don't know what he'll do in the NL. If he was hitting NL pitching in the interleague play and All star games well, I'm sure he'll do fine in the NL. Sure I dunno about a bonds/helton like 1100 OPS/145 RBI season ( I don't think he'll get 145 rbi's anyway because of our lineup) but I'll take him anyday of the week on a fantasy team and as a teammate.

Detroit could overpay for him next year, since Bobby Higginson's $15 mill contract expires, but I think they'd rather go for sum startin pitchin to solidfy their rotation. Da Mets r always an option since they overpay and missed out on Vlad this year, otha than that there mite not be much of a bidding war for him, especially if he's asking for $15 mill plus for a long term deal.

the sox need to make a decision one way or another....are we keeping the core team together or not???...the problem is we try and build for the future and win at the same time..its leading to longest run of mediocre baseball (playing 500 ball year after year) in the history of the game...its time to either s*** or get off the pot

if we want to keep this group together and are going to increase payroll enough to help this group win it all...(70 mill minimum) then by all means resign maggs as he is one of the best OF in all of baseball..

if its time to rebuild then do it...keep thomas because its the right thing to do and keep buehrle cause he locked up 4 years and can pitch his ass off...everyone else with multi million dollar contracts goes at the trade deadline...maggs , koch , lee , valentin , anyone else not fitting into our future plans...lower the payroll to 30 million then you can start all over with another 30 million or so next year in free agency to add to the team of prospects we already have plus the ones we get at the deadline...and rebuilding like that shouldnt take 5 years..cleveland did it in 2 years (if they play as well as i think they will this year)

Good:  "I want to stay in Chicago, where they gave me my first opportunity,"

Bad:    "I think I have market value similar to that of Vladimir (Guerrero) and (Miguel) Tejada. It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again"

I personally say keep him, build around him, after this year, we lose Koch's salary, spend our money on a home grown superstar who wants to play for us.

whitesox.com on Maggs

I dont see Maggs going anywhere. Reinsey did the right thing when Thomas's time came up so I think they will do the smart thing and hang onto Maggs beyond this season.

Maggs is a fan favorite, he sells tickets and he gets the crowd going every time he goes to bat. No way they alienate the fans by dumping him just as he's in the prime of his career.

I dont see Maggs going anywhere.  Reinsey did the right thing when Thomas's time came up so I think they will do the smart thing and hang onto Maggs beyond this season. 

Maggs is a fan favorite, he sells tickets and he gets the crowd going every time he goes to bat.  No way they alienate the fans by dumping him just as he's in the prime of his career.

The big difference is Frank always said he wanted to stay here. The first words out of Maggs mouth is he wants to test FA. Frank never even wanted to look elsewhere.

Well maggs never got the chance to run with manuel. I believe with Ozzie's aggresive base running style, he'll get that oppurtunity. How can you say his defense has deteriorated? He had one of the best defesive years just last season. Yes, his name recoqnition has little value, but he is also a quiet player in on a team that doesn't get much recoqnition anyway..

He stole 18 in 200 and 25 in 2002. Both while playing under Manuel. The last 2 years he has only stole a total of 16 bases. He is not very good defensively becuase he gets lazy out there at times and tends to overthrow the cut off man. He is not worth Vlad money. Brando is right about everything he has said.

The big difference is Frank always said he wanted to stay here.  The first words out of Maggs mouth is he wants to test FA.  Frank never even wanted to look elsewhere.

Another is that Frank and Jerry are a lot closer than Jerry and Maggs. For whatever reason, like with Tony, Jerry picks some to "bring into the family". If Tony had been content with the bench (which I did not agree with and always though he would flourish with more PT) he'd still be here as well.

He stole 18 in 200 and 25 in 2002. Both while playing under Manuel. The last 2 years he has only stole a total of 16 bases. He is not very good defensively becuase he gets lazy out there at times and tends to overthrow the cut off man. He is not worth Vlad money. Brando is right about everything he has said.

I gotta agree with this.

Maggs' laziness reaches over into his baserunning as well. I can't remember the last time I had seen so much stupidity while running the bases.

If we do trade Maggs, hopefully we get the best offer we can get. If this is the case why not trade him he said he wanted to test the FA market anyway. Then just try to bring him back after this year at least we got something for Maggs (Dodgers pitchers or the trade with seattle) and sign Maggs as a FA. Wishful thinking of course.

Am I alone here in thinking that if his plan is to test the market then he's gonna bust his ass out there. Don't trade him, let him put up monster #'s, use that to our advantage, then get all we can for him in July. Maggs on is deadly at the plate. No..? :huh

Jiminez was more lazy than stupid...I'll agree with the CLee and Ozzie part though.

That reminds me of one of the lighter Q and A quotes. They were talking about Ozzie teaching baserunning to the team, and DJ said something to the effect of Ozzie was one of the better baserunners in the game. Hawk about choked and started laughing his ass of. He goes "Ozzie was on of the worst baserunners I have seen"

Am I alone here in thinking that if his plan is to test the market then he's gonna bust his ass out there. Don't trade him, let him put up monster #'s, use that to our advantage, then get all we can for him in July. Maggs on is deadly at the plate. No..? :huh

No Steff, you are not alone. I am with you. I'm right behind you. Don't turn around. I said DON'T!!! :P :P :P

Anything you'd get for Maggs in a trade now could be doubled in July, assuming he's playing well. Usually, good players in contract years put up mucho numbers.

We can't get that now for Maggs, let alone at the trade deadline.  Expect less in July.

I'm with Rex on this one. If we can pry Jackson or Miller away from LA, then I hope he gets traded before the season starts. The only reason to hang onto him at this moment is if we legitmately think we can win this year. Doesn't seem to be in the stars at the moment.

I'm with Rex on this one.  If we can pry Jackson or Miller away from LA, then I hope he gets traded before the season starts.  The only reason to hang onto him at this moment is if we legitmately think we can win this year.  Doesn't seem to be in the stars at the moment.

I agree that if you could get one of those guys--pull the trigger. But, if the Dodgers are in contention in July, yet still are in obvious need of another bat, you don't think with the pressure the Dodgers are under to win, that you wouldn't get even more for Maggs then? I know, it's a risk, but I think it's one worth taking.