Maggs makes his position known

UofIChiSox

Am I alone here in thinking that if his plan is to test the market then he's gonna bust his ass out there. Don't trade him, let him put up monster #'s, use that to our advantage, then get all we can for him in July. Maggs on is deadly at the plate. No..? :huh

Actually, my impression is that he's going to try to stay healthy(ie no SB's, little D) and hit HR's. Little else.

I'm not sure that the kind of Maggs I want on my team.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, my impression is that he's going to try to stay healthy(ie no SB's, little D) and hit HR's. Little else.

I'm not sure that the kind of Maggs I want on my team.

If he thinks he's going to get $15 million a year he's going to have to shove a few horseshoes up his rear and play like he's never played before. No way he's cautious if he wants to get paid.

If he thinks he's going to get $15 million a year he's going to have to shove a few horseshoes up his rear and play like he's never played before. No way he's cautious if he wants to get paid.

He may have a moron for an agent or what if he just does not want to play here? The guy can not hit in cold weather therefore he may give a discount to a San Diego, Texas, Tampa, etc. the warmer the weather the better the player. The money thing could be a smokescreen.

He may have a moron for an agent or what if he just does not want to play here?  The guy can not hit in cold weather therefore he may give a discount to a San Diego, Texas, Tampa, etc.  the warmer the weather the better the player.  The money thing could be a smokescreen.

Could be...

You won't get paid anything if you're hurt, his rep is already solidified this season won't help or hurt him there, what he needs now are good power #'s and to stay healthy. He's admitted as much himself.

I think a deal similar to Tejada's deal is fair, but he's not worth Vlady money.

If we do lose him after next yr, they'll sign someone to replace him. The free agent market next yr is going to be loaded with talent.

I don't know why he seems to think the market is going up again, I can see it being even worse next offseason. I want him to stay with the Sox, but not at the expensive of the team remaining competitive with such a limited payroll. We cannot continue to make him 25% of the payroll, it won't work.

I think a deal similar to Tejada's deal is fair, but he's not worth Vlady money.

If we do lose him after next yr, they'll sign someone to replace him.  The free agent market next yr is going to be loaded with talent.

I don't know why he seems to think the market is going up again, I can see it being even worse next offseason.  I want him to stay with the Sox, but not at the expensive of the team remaining competitive with such a limited payroll.  We cannot continue to make him 25% of the payroll, it won't work.

I was thinking that all Maggs has to do is look at where the Yankees are at, and bet on the fact that they will pay him more than he's worth next year because they will need a corner OF. Maybe he won't get $14 million, but he'll get close to that I'm sure.

I bet the Yankees would love to trade for him right now, but they have s*** in their minors.

I was thinking that all Maggs has to do is look at where the Yankees are at, and bet on the fact that they will pay him more than he's worth next year because they will need a corner OF.  Maybe he won't get $14 million, but he'll get close to that I'm sure. 

I bet the Yankees would love to trade for him right now, but they have s*** in their minors.

Who are you planning on them putting in CF then, Matsui?

They might only have the 3rd best pitching staff in the AL East...

That's defintely possible. I look at that team, and without even getting into how bad defensively they are, I see:

Giambi--If he has to play 1st regularly, he'll get hurt

Brown--old, he'll get hurt

Rivera--getting up there, seems to be getting less durable, more hittable every year.

Williams--no range left, no power left.

Matsui--overrated, with all the pitchers having a year to prep for him

Sheffield--due to be injured, or start complaining

3rd Base--Mike Lamb? Who? Graig Nettles?

Bullpen--dependent upon a healthy Tom Gordon? Good luck.

A LOT of things can go wrong very easily for the Yanks. I'm guessing that many do, or at least I hope so!

Am I alone here in thinking that if his plan is to test the market then he's gonna bust his ass out there. Don't trade him, let him put up monster #'s, use that to our advantage, then get all we can for him in July. Maggs on is deadly at the plate. No..? :huh

Your assumption then is that the Sox won't be in the hunt come June/July? I think they will be there and will be picking up players and not trading them. I would hope we negotiate in good faith for Maggs and that he and his agent reciprocate.

Am I alone here in thinking that if his plan is to test the market then he's gonna bust his ass out there. Don't trade him, let him put up monster #'s, use that to our advantage, then get all we can for him in July. Maggs on is deadly at the plate. No..?

1100 OPS and 140 RBI from Maggs is fine by me.

It's time Mr. Nameless Superstar put up or shut up anywayz.

All that "Maggs is better than Sosa" spouted by every Sox fan under the sun in the last 4 years alway made me laugh and laugh.

So when he does win the MVP and brings the Sox to ALCS this year, then he may command 14-15 Mill per. And I'll be happy for him.

Your assumption then is that the Sox won't be in the hunt come June/July? I think they will be there and will be picking up players and not trading them. I would hope we negotiate in good faith for Maggs and that he and his agent reciprocate.

MT, you caught me cause I honestly can not answer this question. Will we be in the hunt.. and if we are.. will it be because of Maggs..? Or will it be because Loaiza is kicking ass again? Our struggles with offense HUGE last year. They couldn't hit their way out of a wet paper bag most days. Will Aaron come on strong? Will Crede knock the cover off the ball consistantly? Will Frank tear it up again.. all year long? Not to mention Lee having another stellar year? Will those guys be able to keep producing IF Maggs is traded for pitching..? Or maybe we can trade him for a so-so RF'er to just hold his own out there? I guess it all depends on where we are in June/July. So many questions.... :huh

Mags needs to understand that if he wants to stay with the team that gave him his first opportunity or w/e he's gonna have to REALISTIC... he's not gonna get what he wants here in chicago obviously.. he might as well be traded for some staring pitching... like FREDDY GARCIA

CUBS SUCK! :fthecubs

We can't get that now for Maggs, let alone at the trade deadline.  Expect less in July.

OK then trade his ass right now. Listen I am not fourteen and in love with this guy. If he wants to wait until after the season then we take a risk. Trade him and get some top prospects and one starting pitcher.

OK then trade his ass right now. Listen I am not fourteen and in love with this guy. If he wants to wait until after the season then we take a risk. Trade him and get some top prospects and one starting pitcher.

Exactly. This shouldn't be hard for people to understand.

The fly in the ointment though TQ is you have very few teams who are willing to take on that salary in February.

If they're going to lose him to free agency and it seems they're resigned to the fact they will, shop him.

But who's got room for 14 million? The Dodgers? They already want Konerko, Frank, etc. and now Maggs?

The Sox need another well to dig. I don't think there are any others out there.

Matsui--overrated

How do you figure?

The guy is GG caliber LF'er.

Good speed for a #5 hitter

A clutch run-producer.

Hit very well in the playoffs, which many players including Tejada, Chavez, Nomar did not.

Has only began adjusting to two-seamers.

If anything, HE will fare better having seen enough MLB pitchers not the other way around.

At 4-5 Mill or whatever it is he is making he is definately a solid bargain....when you consider how much extra attention he brings to his team AND the kind of Asian following he has.

Yah, maybe Matsui, or maybe they would sign a CF too.  Steinbrenner's going to be awfully pissed when the Yankees don't make the playoffs this year.

Trust me, they ain't going.

From what I have read the Yanks want Beltran. They will go after him either at the trading deadline or after the year as a free agent. They would move Bernie to DH or LF to keep him from getting injured all the time.

Exactly.  This shouldn't be hard for people to understand.

The fly in the ointment though TQ is you have very few teams who are willing to take on that salary in February.

If they're going to lose him to free agency and it seems they're resigned to the fact they will, shop him.

But who's got room for 14 million?  The Dodgers?  They already want Konerko, Frank, etc.  and now Maggs?

The Sox need another well to dig.  I don't think there are any others out there.

Jim,

I don't think the dodgers want two or even three of our guys. Just one, like I posted on another subject to you, I do not think Thomas is going anywhere. See my other posts to you.

As far as other teams

1) Dodgers

2) Seattle

3) Mets

Hey as long as we get something for him whether its now or closer to the deadline, I don't care. Also, anytime this guy wants to step up and say he will sign a contract with the Sox for 11-12 million then fine, lets sign him. Personally I think its one or two things stopping him from doing that:

1) He wants to move on

2) His agent has him convinced he will get 14 or 15 million next year. (which he won't)