Seattle Times stoking the flames...

RudyLawRules

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do I sign? :lol:

Garcia needs to get out of Seattle, I think he'll hav more chance of succeedin here than Perez.

Soriano is a STUD, #4 or 5 in our rotation and this kid has one great fastball changeup combo.

Winn is a lefty I think and could easily hit .300 and steal at least 20 bases.

This is a similar package that was rumor back when there were rumors of Freddy Garcia being nontendered.

I love Maggs, but the package Seattle is offering would just solve so many needs, and we have outfielders, we need pitchers. Not to mention Soriano is like getting a Jackson or Miller.

SB

Rafael Soriano went 3-0 with a 1.53 ERA in 2003. He had 68 K's and only 12 BB's. This is from John Sickels,

Promoting Soriano directly to Seattle from Double-A sounded risky to me, but he's done very well so far for the Mariners, posting a 3.60 ERA. Anyone who has seen him pitch can attest to his nasty stuff, as well as his mound presence and fluid delivery.

Can he keep it up? In 30 innings, he's allowed just 18 hits. He's fanned 21 while walking eight. The biggest warning sign in his statistical record is six homers allowed; he really needs to keep people off base if he's going to be giving up a tater per game, but so far he's been able to do that. If he stays healthy, Soriano has a good chance to post Freddy Garcia-like numbers down the road.

Any scouting report on Soriano?

Rafael has been one of the stars of the Mariners’ deep bullpen. The razor-thin Dominican lights up the radar guns with his fastball, which reaches into the upper 90's. He also features a hard slider and excellent control.

Originally signed as an outfielder back in 1996, Rafael hit just .220 in two seasons of rookie ball before being converted to the mound. He enjoyed instant success with the move, posting a 23-16 record with a 2.83 ERA during his minor league stint. An All-Star in the California League in 2001, Rafael made his major league debut in 2002.

Here is another scouting report,

2003 Season

The Mariners' biggest find of the season was Rafael Soriano. He'd missed most of the second half of 2002 with a strained shoulder, and failed to make the team out of camp in 2003. He spent a couple of weeks with the big club in late April and early May, was recalled in mid-June and went on to become perhaps the most effective reliever in the majors over the second half. By mid-August, he'd established himself as the Mariners' top setup man.

Pitching & Defense

With a lively mid-90s fastball and a hard slider, Soriano has the stuff to throw the ball past hitters, and he does. Command had held him back in the past, but he made great strides last year. Pitching relief seemed to suit him perfectly, as he could go full-throttle for an inning at a time and leave his work-in-progress changeup in his back pocket. He is reputed to be a capable fielder, although actual trials have been rare. He ignores baserunners and gets the out at the plate.

2004 Outlook

Soriano is expected to assume a larger role as soon as possible. He could join the rotation if a spot opens up, or serve as the closer if needed. Either way, there's no limit on what he might do.

ESPN insider mentions this same deal???

Man, what a steal for the Sox.

ESPN is probably just quoting the Seattle Times article. They were quoting the Trib and Sun-Times during the whole a-rod/nomar/manny/maggs ordeal.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the Seattle Times is the only source.

ESPN is probably just quoting the Seattle Times article.  They were quoting the Trib and Sun-Times during the whole a-rod/nomar/manny/maggs ordeal.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the Seattle Times is the only source.

Yeah, I see what you're talking about. I bet we would have to throw more into this deal. Probably a good prospect (or should I say deffinately?).