Seattle Times stoking the flames...

RudyLawRules

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas will not play 1st base for 162 games....no way the Dodgers go for that

I would love to do this deal to close out pitching rotation, but the same thought haunts me everytime we talk about dealing someone on O for pitching.....our biggest problem until we got Alomar and Everett was on O

We just could not freaking hit.......no way is Borchard or Reed ready to produce yet ..... I would have loved to do this deal and then got Juan Gonzalez, but with the guy off the market, we do not have a way of replacing the O anymore....

ESPN is probably just quoting the Seattle Times article.  They were quoting the Trib and Sun-Times during the whole a-rod/nomar/manny/maggs ordeal.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the Seattle Times is the only source.

Guys on a sidenote, all ESPN Insider is, is a compliation of all of the newsreports out there. All they do it take all of the news about something, but it in one place, and call it Insider. All of their info comes from somewhere else. You could do the same thing with a google search and some free time.

Would you still do a Kong for Perez trade too?

That would give us a rotation of:

Buehrle Loaiza

Garcia

Perez

Garland

And a bullpen of:

Koch

Marte

Soriano

Takatsu

Wunsch

Schoney

Politte

Wright

Obviously one or two of the guys in the BP would need to be traded, how about Wright, Ginter, and Joe B. for Carlos Pena?

I would love to do this deal to close out pitching rotation, but the same thought haunts me everytime we talk about dealing someone on O for pitching.....our biggest problem until we got Alomar and Everett was on O

We just could not freaking hit.......no way is Borchard or Reed ready to produce yet ..... I would have loved to do this deal and then got Juan Gonzalez, but with the guy off the market, we do not have a way of replacing the O anymore....

I agree. Somehow I'm still concerned about our offense more than our pitching right now. I have to admit I was surprised last year that we couldn't hit the ball, but still see the same problems this year.

Rowand and Harris are big big ifs right now. Konerko - who knows? Thomas could falter again. Crede is unproven. Maggs may be the only sure thing.

I think if we trade Maggs this year for only pitching, it's a White Flag trade for this year. :angry:

Cmon people--

Not even a week after KW said in front of the SoxFest crowd, and tons of local media folks, that Maggs and Carlos weren't going anywhere, do you seriously think there's even a speck of truth in this? Why would he say that if there were even a snowball's chance that a trade would go through for either of them?

He didn't say anything specifically regarding Frank or Paulie, did he? The Dodgers deal or possibly an Anaheim deal are the only two that I would think have any merit at this point.

Cmon people--

Not even a week after KW said in front of the SoxFest crowd, and tons of local media folks, that Maggs and Carlos weren't going anywhere, do you seriously think there's even a speck of truth in this?  Why would he say that if there were even a snowball's chance that a trade would go through for either of them?

He didn't say anything specifically regarding Frank or Paulie, did he?  The Dodgers deal or possibly an Anaheim deal are the only two that I would think have any merit at this point.

The reason this can come about is the Mariners lost $10 in salary and it opens them up to do some things. Imagine what would happen if all of a sudden Konerko walked into the White Sox front office and said, "I quit, rip up my contrct and save teh $8M for this year." This along with Maddux to the Dodgers (sale finalized) make the landscape very different then what it was a week ago.

I think the Mariner deal may have to include Koch with us paying half his salary.

The reason this can come about is the Mariners lost $10 in salary and it opens them up to do some things.  Imagine what would happen if all of a sudden Konerko walked into the White Sox front office and said, "I quit, rip up my contrct and save teh $8M for this year."  This along with Maddux to the Dodgers (sale finalized) make the landscape very different then what it was a week ago.

I think the Mariner deal may have to include Koch with us paying half his salary.

You're missing my point. I never claimed that this wasn't doable(sorry Steff) on the Seattle end, although I see no reason why they would want Koch, as they signed Guardado in the offseason.

My point was that it makes no sense for KW to come out and say point blank that Carlos and Maggs aren't going anywhere, if a week later he was to trade one of them away. That Sasaki defection happened over a week ago, so KW can't even use that as an excuse to go back on what he said.

KW could have easily have answered the question regarding trades with a simple, cliched--"we have to listen to offers from anyone, and if we feel they would improve our club, then it's our job to make those deals. blah, blah" Instead, he puts it on the line and says that they are not going anywhere. I don't see any reason for him to say that, unless they're really not going to be moved.

You're missing my point.  I never claimed that this wasn't doable(sorry Steff) on the Seattle end, although I see no reason why they would want Koch, as they signed Guardado in the offseason.

My point was that it makes no sense for KW to come out and say point blank that Carlos and Maggs aren't going anywhere, if a week later he was to trade one of them away.  That Sasaki defection happened over a week ago, so KW can't even use that as an excuse to go back on what he said. 

KW could have easily have answered the question regarding trades with a simple, cliched--"we have to listen to offers from anyone, and if we feel they would improve our club, then it's our job to make those deals.  blah, blah"  Instead, he puts it on the line and says that they are not going anywhere.  I don't see any reason for him to say that, unless they're really not going to be moved.

Could just be posturing. Anyone who seriously wants Maggs may get the feeling that they will have to come around to the SOX needs and wants to make it happen. If nobody takes the bait - nothing lost.

Rowand and Harris are big big ifs right now.  Konerko - who knows?  Thomas could falter again.  Crede is unproven.  Maggs may be the only sure thing. 

I think if we trade Maggs this year for only pitching, it's a White Flag trade for this year. :angry:

Thomas is pretty consistant, CLee is aswell. Mags is not the only sure thing on this team. Look at Manos too, he seems consistant. We have quite a few players who are good, and I find it hard to believe that Mags is the only one who is going to have a great season.

BTW, Randy Winn is a heck of a player.

Sorry but I really have no faith in Cotts learning how to throw strikes.  Control and plate discipline can not be taught, hence trading Cotts and Borchard would not be a bad thing.  Trading Honel and Reed would.

If Cotts threw strikes in the minors we would have something to work with.

I was just being facetious ;)

Sorry but I really have no faith in Cotts learning how to throw strikes.  Control and plate discipline can not be taught, hence trading Cotts and Borchard would not be a bad thing.  Trading Honel and Reed would.

If Cotts threw strikes in the minors we would have something to work with.

He did throw strikes in the minors. When he came up to the bigs, they changed his style on pitching. That's why he was so screwed up mentally. Sure he did walk a lot of batters and the minors, but he had alot of strikeouts as well. He's going to be a hellofa pitcher one day.

The casual fan might not be happy with the deal, just becasue of Maggs fan appel, but the deal would be great for us.

That's the biggest thing. If maggs (or even frank) was traded, do you think the average sox fan would not like this because their favorite player is gone? They wouldn't even come to the games anymore (hell might not root for the sox eigher;)) let alone like the management. It'll be different if the sox maybe won the division, but that certain fan would still have that bad taste in their mouth from maggs/frank on a different team (let alone maybe facing him in the playoffs :o) Even though I believe they should just deal with it, it is common.

He did throw strikes in the minors. When he came up to the bigs, they changed his style on pitching. That's why he was so screwed up mentally. Sure he did walk a lot of batters and the minors, but he had alot of strikeouts as well. He's going to be a hellofa pitcher one day.

That is not true. He had a high walk ratio in the minors as well. However, you can teach control. Randy Johnson was terrible early in his career because of lack of control. You mostly have to improve on your footwork and arm angle to improve control.