Joe Jackson

CubsSuck1

Should Joe Jackson have been banned from baseball?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Joe Jackson have been banned from baseball?

• Yes
    • No

I am doing a project on the Black Sox for English, and I really didn't know much about the whole situation. Upon research, he knew about the fix, but didn't do much to stop it from happening. He played well during the series, and was the only one of the eight players to not admit to being in on the fix.

There wasn't even reasoning that Shoeless Joe even knew about the scandel. He might had heard about it, or people might have said something about it, but I don't believe he cared. He didn't lose on purpose like the other eight. He still played his ass off in that World Series, and you got to respect that. He definitely shouldn't been banned. Rose went on and knew he was betting as a player and manager. That's what's different about those two.

I am doing a project on the Black Sox for English, and I really didn't know much about the whole situation. Upon research, he knew about the fix, but didn't do much to stop it from happening. He played well during the series, and was the only one of the eight players to not admit to being in on the fix.

you are mixing up buck weaver and shoeless joe i believe...

buck weaver was the one who happened to walk in on the players fixing the series with the gamblers...he refused to be a part of it..never took a dime and played his ass off in the series..

shoeless joe took 5k from gamblers , signed a confession admitting to throwing the series....the confession was lost during his criminal trial but somehow founds its way into a 1923 civil suit between jackson and sox owner charlie comiskey...also sometime around 1923 there was a story in one of the new york papers about shoeless joe throwing the series...he said that the guys didnt think they could make it look believable by trying to purposely makes outs at the plate and decided to throw the series in the field...joe talked about taking a bad angle on a catchable fly ball to make it look like he just missed it...making throws into the infield off line to let runners advance..stuff like that...

there is no doubt in my mind that shoeless joe knew what he was doing and was a willing participant..at that point in his career he was a veteran ballplayer...he knew what was going on...and while he was ignorant as far as education he wasnt a stupid man...after his playing days in outlaw leagues he retired back in his hometown in SC and was a successful businessman...

buck weaver's name should be cleared...while he was one fo the best of his era i could never get behind reinstating the guy...too much evidence says he was guilty

Your correct Eight Men out is good portrayal of the situation.  Plus its a good movie to boot.

It's been over 80 years. Who knows what really happened? Whether Joe Jackson and/or Buck Weaver deserve to be reinstated is, at this point, unprovable one way or the other.

Joe took the money, but didn't throw the Series. He admitted to taking the money, but always insisted he didn't throw the Series.

But he still took the money, and he still knew about the fix. Joe got what was coming to him.

Buck Weaver needs to be reinstated.

I think that he went to give the $5,000 to comiskey, but was ignored about the situation. That is according to speculation though.

This is some info based on the stuff i have read.

Jackson was offered $10,000 to take part in the fix, he refused. Later he was offered $20,000 he again refused. this info is taken from his grand jury testimony. There is evidence to suggest that Jacksontold one or more club officials that a fix was in the making before the series began, and he also requested to be benched for the series to avoid suspicion that he was involved.

As for the $5,000 that he "took", Lefty Williams went to Jacksons hotel room and offered him the money. Joe refused to accept it and an argument ensued, Jackson stormed out of his room, Williams through down the envelope and left and Jackson found it there upon his return. This was attested to under oath by both Jackson and Williams the only two people there. To me it looks like the money was dumped on him not taken by him.

Sleepy Bill Burns one the guy who put the players and the gamblers testified under oath at Joe's 1924 cival trial that he never spoke to Jackson but instead took the word of Lefty Williams who claimed he could speak for Joe. In the same trial Williams testified that he did not have Jackson's pemission to speak for him or use his name.

Also if you look at Joe's grand jury testimony you see jackson telling two very different stories, one confessing guilt and one claiming innocence. The players were all counseled by Comiskey's lawyer Alfred Austrian before giving their testimonies and since Austrians main concern would be protecting Comiskey not Jackson. Comiskey had to protect his reputation now and didn't want anyone knowing that Joe had tried to tell him about the fix. It is easy to infer here that Joe's confession was the story given to him by Austrian (who Joe mistakenly believed Austrian was his Lawyer) and the claim of innocence was his own feelings.

Anyway enough from me, if you are interested in further reading try Say it ain't so Joe! by Donald Gropman the Revised second edition.