Mariotti blasts Sox again

YASNY

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And sadly, Mariotti is right on point. The right thing to steer this organization in the right direction, and help win fanbase back, is to get Maggs locked up. It is for that reasonthat of course, it will NOT happen. Profit margins have been more important to good ole JR than winning baseball since he's been here

No matta what KW tries to do, Maggs WILL NOT sign a long term deal bf Free Agency at the end of the season. He said his loyalty is with Chicago because they were da team to giv him his 1st oppurtunity but we've heard this all bf and I don't think it'll count for much once otha teams otha him more cash. Unfortunately Marriotti is spot on in this article, the only way things are goin to change is if JR ain't ownin da team.

Mariotti column

Some of the comments he makes, I swear he had to pull off this board.  Such as the restaurant comparison.

Either that or one of his cronies heard the example heard at Saturday's Q and A. On top of being the biggest flip flop this side of Shaq ONeals foot, he is also the biggest plagerist.

:fyou Kotex-boy

Key paragraph in the Mariotti screed:

"I think I have market value similar to that of Vladimir and Tejada,'' said Ordonez, apparently not bummed about his proposed role in the aborted Nomar Garciaparra trade. "It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again. I want a five- or six-year contract so I can relax and be in one place for a long time. I hope that can be in Chicago, a city that I like a lot.''

Hmmmm.....Ordonez wants to "relax" during his absurdly long 5 or 6 year contract.

Sounds more like he wants to slack off. The only way that I'd go for such a deal is if the money is non-guaranteed and the team has the right to terminate it at any time without suffering any penalties for doing so.

Magglio is one greedy jerk. Perhaps he'll be happier playing in Detroit with I-Rod.

Either that or one of his cronies heard the example heard at Saturday's Q and A.  On top of being the biggest flip flop this side of Shaq ONeals foot, he is also the biggest plagerist.

:fyou Kotex-boy

Mike.. he used quotes for that comment. He did get it from the O&A.

Hate to say it, but this was pretty right on. Hawk invited it. he opened his mouth where there was NO need to do so. Did anyone think Jay wouldn't fire back? I'm surprised it took this long.

Key paragraph in the Mariotti screed:

"I think I have market value similar to that of Vladimir and Tejada,'' said Ordonez, apparently not bummed about his proposed role in the aborted Nomar Garciaparra trade. "It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again. I want a five- or six-year contract so I can relax and be in one place for a long time. I hope that can be in Chicago, a city that I like a lot.''

Hmmmm.....Ordonez wants to "relax" during his absurdly long 5 or 6 year contract.

Sounds more like he wants to slack off.  The only way that I'd go for such a deal is if the money is non-guaranteed and the team has the right to terminate it at any time without suffering any penalties for doing so.

Magglio is one greedy jerk.  Perhaps he'll be happier playing in Detroit with I-Rod.

I think you might be mis-interpreting that statement. "Relax" as I read it is being able to not have to worry about if I'm going to have to pick up and move from one team/city over and over again. I certiantly don't see Maggs as lazy at all. JMO

I usually don't agree with Mariotti, but like you all said, he's right on in this. All the points he made have been made before, but I think if we don't sign Maggs to an extension the team will be taking steps back. KW has been active throughout his career trying to bring in new guys that will win, but nothing ever pans out. Well I personally think Maggs is a guy who can be the cornerstone of a winning team and we need to keep him. I realize we have good outfield prospects in the minors, and wouldn't have trouble finding a right fielder, but they certainly won't produce, or attract the fans that Maggs does. Management wants fans to come to the ballpark, and I think Maggs is a huge attraction for them. Lose Maggs and a lot less people will show up.

I think this constant bashing of the Sox management is redundant. We are all saying the same thing over and over again. The main issue is the amount of money spent on payroll and who it's being spent on. Mariotti doesn't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that out.

The issue is not, however, about whether to pay Maggs 12 million dollars a year. I think it is very likely that that 12 mill could be better spent elsewhere.

The problem is that I don't trust KW to be able to figure out where to spend it. :angry:

The only thing I don't agree with him on is that Maggs is worth the same type of contract as Guerrero and Tejada.

Personally, I wouldn't give Maggs a 5 or 6 year deal. the Sox have already been burned by bad contracts enough. There is no way I would guarantee anyone that much money for that length of time.

As good as Maggs has been, I fear that 3 years from now he will be hitting .290 with 32 HR and 95 RBI while grounding into 23 DP's. Solid numbers yes, even good numbers, but not $12 million numbers.

OK to all of the resign Maggs fans...

Is Maggs worth a 5 year $70 million deal?  That is what he thinks he is worth.

I think he is. He immediately makes this team better. He's constantly on the top of the leaderboards.

I think this constant bashing of the Sox management is redundant.  We are all saying the same thing over and over again. The main issue is the amount of money spent on payroll and who it's being spent on.  Mariotti doesn't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that out.

The issue is not, however, about whether to pay Maggs 12 million dollars a year.  I think it is very likely that that 12 mill could be better spent elsewhere.

The problem is that I don't trust KW to be able to figure out where to spend it. :angry:

I wish it were just a matter of payroll, but I think that the Sox problems go deeper. PR and marketing are awful. Scouting, horrible. Development, questionable. Ballpark wasn't even in the same league as other new parks. You name it, the Sox have found a way to f*** it up. Winning will cure a lot though. So if spending some loot brings us a winner, then yes, you're correct, payroll is the answer to our problems.

BTW, good article. I'm with Rex though, Maggs isn't worth Vladdy kind of money...hell, Tejada wasn't worth what he got. I'd apparently be one of the few fans who would be satisfied seeing Maggs dealt for some stud ML-ready prospects and a solid major leaguer.

Here's a question for you - and I'm not sure I know the answer.

If Maggs signs a 5-6 year deal for 12 mill per year and the Sox win the pennant 2 years later, but Maggs is hitting .280 by year 4-5, is it worth it?

I think the answer is yes. So, maybe we shouldn't be thinking less about how overpaid he would be in the last years of the contract and more about 2-3 years of a great right fielder. :huh

Mike.. he used quotes for that comment. He did get it from the O&A.

Hate to say it, but this was pretty right on. Hawk invited it. he opened his mouth where there was NO need to do so. Did anyone think Jay wouldn't fire back? I'm surprised it took this long.

The Hawk openes up his mouth again and shows why he was the worse GM the team has had. I know that I am opening myself up here for the obvious comparisons. It would appear that Maggs is willing to accept dollars in line with what he will be making this year or close to the same money. I say that the Sox should try and sign him for 5 or 6 years NOW. There is nothing in Jay M's article that is necessarily anything but true. The Hawk opened himself and the Sox management up for a reply and they got it. Heck the Hawk could have just as well been talking about a number of people on this board when he branded Jay M as a problem child.