neal cotts lovefest??

baggio202

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you like to have these stats after 4 MLB starts??

CAREER PITCHING RECORD

YR CLUB        LG    Class W-L    .PCT ERA  G GS CG SHO GF SV    IP H  AB TBF R  ER HR SH SF HB  BB IB  SO WP BK  AVG AGAINST

Baltimore AL    MAJ 0-3    .000  9.82  4  4  0 0  0  0  14.2  22  62  76  19  16  3  0  3  1  10  0 4  2  0  .355

Wow! This guy sucks. He can't throw strikes! He's a bust. Never amount to anything but a AAAA pitcher, at best.

Baj,

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I personally wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I couldn't be honest and fair and at least somewhat objective when seriously analyzing players..

I would never bash a player just for the sake of bashing, especially kids my age (which most of you are more or less, let's face it).  That would be pathetic and unbecoming. I may get pissed off, but it's never malicious or personal.

But I also don't toss anyone's salad, literally or figuratively. Luckily, the 5-6 players that DO post here have enough intelligence and sense of humor, not to mention the sheer confidence in their abilities,  that I never have to worry about having to kiss anyone's ass and can speak freely and joke around without fear of offending anybody.

As far as you guys' (that goes for people like Kris, Ryan, Arnie and Emencio who don't post here as well) making some serious impact in the MAJORS......People on this site have HIGH expecations of you cream of the crop youngsters and can be pretty damn harsh on occasion....But if they are anything like myself, DEEP DOWN they would love NOTHING more than to have their amateur opinions proven wrong, and would rather be eating some major crow all summer long if it means that Neal, Brandon, Jim, you, Wyatt are putting up ZERO's on the board inning after inning after inning, bringing pride and glory back to Chicago.   

Simple as that.

Brando.

:cheers  :snr  :headbang

By no way was I suggesting all you do is bash players. I have actually never really heard any bashing going on. I was just upset that that post was so anti-Cotts. I mean that is fine if that person really believes he doesn't belong, but I can't believe that you feel that was an objective post. the other thing is, most likely, whether it be this year or the next, Cotts will be in the major leagues, most likely for the Sox and I just feel if people are true fans of the game and of the team, they will support 23 year old kids trying to get their feet wet. anyways, enough of that.

Baj,

Speaking of bandwagons, I know a few guys who are jumping on yours bigtime and I'd love to hear a self assessment from you and where you feel your road is leading this yr.

Well, that's great. I need all the fans I can get!

You never know where the organization sees you fitting in. The higher up you get, the more of a log jam it is. I honestly feel that I belong in AAA this year, but they may put me back in AA. We'll just have to see.

I also need to stay healthy for another full season before they even give me an honest look! And I wouldn't expect anything else.

By no way was I suggesting all you do is bash players.  I have actually never really heard any bashing going on.  I was just upset that that post was so anti-Cotts.  I mean that is fine if that person really believes he doesn't belong, but I can't believe that you feel that was an objective post. the other thing is, most likely, whether it be this year or the next, Cotts will be in the major leagues, most likely for the Sox and I just feel if people are true fans of the game and of the team, they will support 23 year old kids trying to get their feet wet.  anyways, enough of that.

Baj,

In general, it seems to be a common occurance around here that some posters are real quick to give up on a guy if he doesn't just dominate after being called up. Every Sox prospect should be either Albert Pujols or Mark Prior in their eyes. Just look back to threads from last season at how many people wanted to dump Carlos Lee because he had not had his breakout season and they were sure he never would. By June 1st all that talk had stopped.

I'm sorry.  It's just frustrating to see a guy struggle to hit his spots.  Control should be a given if you're a pitcher in rookie ball, let alone the majors.

You know what, you don't have to apologize for posting what you feel. I know how frustrating it is when a pitcher is walking everyone. that is the worst! I just take it personally I guess when you write off a guy that has so much talent, that is the hardest working dude in the organization and is so freakin young. Because like I said earlier, I may still play, but I will always be a baseball fan first and foremost, and as a fan, I will give a guy more than 4 starts before I send him back to Dawson's Creek, as you mentioned earlier :wacko:

By the way, not comparing the two at all but...did you ever watch Nolan Ryan? Not the best control in the game!

c ya Baj

Baj,

In general, it seems to be a common occurance around here that some posters are real quick to give up on a guy if he doesn't just dominate after being called up.  Every Sox prospect should be either Albert Pujols or Mark Prior in their eyes.  Just look back to threads from last season at how many people wanted to dump Carlos Lee because he had not had his breakout season and they were sure he never would.  By June 1st all that talk had stopped.

I totally agree with you! I guess as fans we expect a lot at the major league level and when we don't see instant results, we get frustrated. ;)

By no way was I suggesting all you do is bash players.  I have actually never really heard any bashing going on.  I was just upset that that post was so anti-Cotts.  I mean that is fine if that person really believes he doesn't belong, but I can't believe that you feel that was an objective post. the other thing is, most likely, whether it be this year or the next, Cotts will be in the major leagues, most likely for the Sox and I just feel if people are true fans of the game and of the team, they will support 23 year old kids trying to get their feet wet.  anyways, enough of that.

IMO barring a trade, Neal will be the 5th starter out of camp, I base this mostly on my lack of confidence in Schoney to grab the 4th spot. If he will throw his new cutter for strikes everything else will follow and we'll end up with an effective young pitcher.

Btw, I got to watch Neal vs the Rangers at the Cell last yr, did you guys give him any s*** for his only win coming on Elvis Night? :D :D

You know what, you don't have to apologize for posting what you feel.  I know how frustrating it is when a pitcher is walking everyone.  that is the worst!  I just take it personally I guess when you write off a guy that has so much talent, that is the hardest working dude in the organization and is so freakin young.  Because like I said earlier, I may still play, but I will always be a baseball fan first and foremost, and as a fan, I will give a guy more than 4 starts before I send him back to Dawson's Creek, as you mentioned earlier :wacko:

By the way, not comparing the two at all but...did you ever watch Nolan Ryan?  Not the best control in the game!

c ya Baj

Are you Joe Borchard? Hahhahahahahaaa

I didn't mean anything by the Dawson's Creek statement. I was just buls***ting. But seriously, he does look like he belongs on a beach somewhere.

Baj,

In general, it seems to be a common occurance around here that some posters are real quick to give up on a guy if he doesn't just dominate after being called up.  Every Sox prospect should be either Albert Pujols or Mark Prior in their eyes.  Just look back to threads from last season at how many people wanted to dump Carlos Lee because he had not had his breakout season and they were sure he never would.  By June 1st all that talk had stopped.

Heck how many times had people traded Carlos Lee to everyone and their brother, and labeled him as a failure. Now think about where this team would have been last year without him.

i think the posters here that are defending cotts a being a bit unfair. go back and read the original post by baggio. the questions he poses are fair ones. he doesn't say "cotts sucks, he pitched horrible in four starts blah blah blah." he was only questioning his stuff and control, not his performance, and if you are someone that doesn't follow the minors and all you have is what you see at the major league level, it's a concern, more so with his control than his stuff. he just wanted some further info on why people like him and the next thing you know people are accusing him of calling cotts a bust. throwing out any pitcher's first four starts is meaningless. it doesn't make someone great in the future or a future bust. so it doesn't make a good argument either for or against a pitcher's future performance. it's equally unimportant whether they sucked in four starts and turn out to be jim palmer or have a great first four starts and turn into a bust.

personally i think he will be very good, his strikeout rate in the minors is very good, and that is a great indicator of future success. for the people that do follow the minors and give us the great info and reports, thank you, it's much appreciated. :cheers but try to realize there is a difference between questioning a player's ability and saying a guy blows.

i think the posters here that are defending cotts a being a bit unfair. go back and read the original post by baggio. the questions he poses are fair ones. he doesn't say "cotts sucks, he pitched horrible in four starts blah blah blah."

I don't think so....... I initially responded to baggs post with a very explanatory response. Others have since added posts that were more critical and therefore, being defended. I don't think baggs was out of line in his questioning, although perhaps the title of the thread could have set the wrong tone, depending on how you read into it.

By and large, I think this thread has been fair. How many threads do we get on this board that get to 100 replies that don't have a few uninformed or narrow-minded posts?

I mean that is fine if that person really believes he doesn't belong, but I can't believe that you feel that was an objective post

I don't believe that post was objective. I think it was very stupid.

But I wasn't talking about just that guy or Mr. Cotts. I was refering to the fact that while I may root the hell out of a certain talented youngster, I can also be quite harsh on occasion if I see something I don't like.

I had unkind words for Brian West and for Danny Wright, for example. And yet if (no, when) I am proven wrong, I will be ecstatic and will savor every bite of that delicious crow. Believe you me.

And of course, this is an OPEN board, so sometimes you're gonna have trolls, jealous haters, rivals, Cub fans (too redundant?) and just plain ol' idiots registering and posting something really s***ty or nonsensical about some of you. I hope you players that read it realize that those few don't speak for the entire site and will pay no mind.

In fact, I know you won't....because one of the reasons y'all are competing on this highest of levels is because you DIDN'T listen to every whining doubter that you've ever crossed paths with in the past. :cheers .

Can't wait until I get to start the very first Bajenaru Sucks Thread! ;)

Look on the bright side, when that thread comes out it will mean Jeff's reached the majors :D and Sox fans are just dissapointed that he isn't Eric Gagne from day one :lol:

But Baj, I for one can speak I wouldn't have a problem if you came up and pitched like Gagne :headbang . Hopefully this year you stay healthy and the Sox brass takes notice of you and puts ya on the fast track!!!! :cheers

Look on the bright side, when that thread comes out it will mean Jeff's reached the majors  :D  and Sox fans are just dissapointed that he isn't Eric Gagne from day one  :lol:

But Baj, I for one can speak I wouldn't have a problem if you came up and pitched like Gagne  :headbang .  Hopefully this year you stay healthy and the Sox brass takes notice of you and puts ya on the fast track!!!! :cheers

But someone would have a hissy fit because he blew that one save in the all star game :rolleyes:

In Greg Maddux' first two seasons, he was 8-18 with a 5.57 ERA, and he didn't throw hard. In Tom Glavine's first two seasons, he was 9-21 with a 5.04 ERA, and he didn't throw hard either. I think it's safe to assume they've had outstanding and prolific careers. It took them a while to have confidence in their stuff, to figure out hitters, and to know what pitch to throw and when to throw it.

I'm not saying that Cotts will ever be as good as Maddux or Glavine, or even 1/20th as good, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Scouts are paid a salary to watch these players day in-day out and jot down their findings, and I assume they know more than I do. The scouting reports on Cotts have been good, from what I've read. So I'll defer to the experts.

Plus, I would rather see Cotts out there learning on the job than suffer watching another start by Danny Wrong. :puke

In Greg Maddux' first two seasons, he was 8-18 with a 5.57 ERA, and he didn't throw hard even back then.  In Tom Glavine's first two seasons, he was 9-21 with a 5.04 ERA, and he never threw hard either. 

It took them a while to have confidence in their stuff, to figure out hitters, and to know what pitch to throw at any given time. 

I'm not saying that Cotts will ever be as good as Maddux or Glavine, or even 1/20th as good, but I'm willing to give him a chance. 

Scouts are paid a salary to watch these players day in-day out and jot down their findings, and I assume they know more than I do.  The scouting reports on Cotts have been good, from what I've read.  So I'll defer to the experts.

Plus, I would rather see Cotts out there than watch another start by Danny Wrong. :puke

But remember the scouting reports on Danny from about 3 years ago... :lol:

I think his injury affected him greatly, and with any type of arm injury, you never know if the guy can come back.

I've always felt Wrong would be more valuable in and more suited to the bullpen. I can't remember the opponent (Cleveland?) last year, but Wright came out of the bullpen and threw something like 4 or 5 solid innings.

I think his injury affected him greatly, and with any type of arm injury, you never know if the guy can come back. 

I've always felt Wrong would be more valuable in and more suited to the bullpen.  I can't remember the opponent (Cleveland?) last year, but Wright came out of the bullpen and threw something like 4 or 5 solid innings.

In all seriousness now...

I really see Danny's niche being out of the pen. I could see the kid being a great long man, or a closer out of the pen. He seems to have no problems getting through the order the first time. He also seems to suffer from lapses of concentration as he lets the 7-8-9 hitters hit almost as well as the 3-4-5 hitters do. I really hope someone steps up and takes the #5 spot in the rotation so that Danny gets a serious look in the pen.