Bottled Water

Texsox

Do you drink more bottled water or pop?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink more bottled water or pop?

• Pop, Soda, Soda, Coke
    • Water, Evian, Desani, Perrier, Culigan
    • Neither
    • $1 a bottle for water, you nuts?
    • I like beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow

OK, maybe it's just the past 15-20 years that it's become "trendy" so that eveybody and there brother drinks it now. I don't remember hearing much about it when I was younger besides office water coolers...

Plus, the Government didn't get involved in testing until the early 80's so it wasn't that "out there". Over the years I think it's gotten worse to be honest with you. We're trashing this planet and stirring up s***.. which means more chemicals have to be used to "clean" it, and even more chemicals to cover up the smell of the cleaners. It's pretty frightening what is done to water to get it past the G'ment standards. And in case anyone didn't know.. the water that comes out of your garden hose DOES NOT meet regulations!! Nice isn't it? That water you fill your little kids pools with.. or take a swig from while cutting the lawn isn't much cleaner than Lake Michigan. Mmmm.. yummy, eh? :puke

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tap water starts out from the Rio Grande, the most polluted major waterway in North America. We RO filter our drinking water, from our city water.

I've also dumped all my aluminum backpacking cookware in favor of somethign coated.

The sanitation standards in the countries that grow our food in many cases are not up to US standards. We now see port a potties in all the farm fields. Not so in South America. After realizing and seeing that I now wask all my produce a little bit extra.

If you don't have your health you don't have anything.

I don't drink water during winter, unless after sports./exercise, in which case Getorade is fine as is fountain water. Tea, juice, soup, decaf, milk, pop, fruits, wine, etc, etc provide all the fluids I need.

Summer time? Multi-liter galons of water are sold at Dominics for a VERY low price.

Evian, etc are trendy status/snob drinks. It's funny how everyone is walking around with them. We snark on those people behind their backs.

I guess I'm real old school. I drink a glass of water from the tap usually once a day

Heads, you aren't old school. You're young and stupid. There are so many risks in life that can't be avoided. Why on earth wuld you add a few frivilous ones?

A human body is an amazingly resilient lil' thing; it can take all kids of chemical and bacterial abuse....up to a point.

Steff is right: just because a human eye doesn't see it, doesn't mean it's alright. 800 foreign subst. figure didn't suprise me one bit. Where I am originally from, it's almost twice that.

FlaSoxxJim, it's time for you to put an end to this debate.

FlaSoxxJim, it's time for you to put an end to this debate.

The Midieval monks beat me to it.

Most of the brewing monastaries that got their start in the Middle Ages did so because of the health benefits of "liquid bread" (beer), as opposed to the dubious surface waters of the day. This was back in the days when nobody knew anything about microbial contamination, before microscopes were even imagined. But, the heat used in the brewing process killed pathogens in the source water, and the alcohol in the beer they produced was sufficient to keep the beer from becoming secondarily infected. On top of that, a high gravity all grain beer was sustaining, and the liquid bread moniker was appropriate. Middle Age spiritual pilgrims who wound up on monastary doorsteps could be offered a safe, sustaining alternative to contaminated water sources.

Beer. It's what's for dinner. (Apologies to the Beef people)

The Midieval monks beat me to it. 

Most of the brewing monastaries that got their start in the Middle Ages did so because of the health benefits of "liquid bread" (beer), as opposed to the dubious surface waters of the day.  This was back in the days when nobody knew anything about microbial contamination, before microscopes were even imagined.  But, the heat used in the brewing process killed pathogens in the source water, and the alcohol in the beer they produced was sufficient to keep the beer from becoming secondarily infected.  On top of that, a high gravity all grain beer was sustaining, and the liquid bread moniker was appropriate.  Middle Age spiritual pilgrims who wound up on monastary doorsteps could be offered a safe, sustaining alternative to contaminated water sources.

Beer.  It's what's for dinner. (Apologies to the Beef people)

So that's a 'yes' then?

There have been numerous cases in Canada and I'm sure the United States where people have actually died from drinking tap water.  In many places the tap water is probably perfectly fine also, but I don't understand how you could call someone a blithering idiot for buying the stuff.  If anything they're helping the economy, and god knows the US needs economic help.  Dumb post!

I'm sorry but anyone who would part with 1-3 dollars for a bottle of aquafina has their wires crossed.

It's true--there was an article in the Trib not too long ago. My dad was actually interviewed for it. I actually never drink tap water without a filter--we've always had a filter or buy bottled water. My hometown has a huge problem with radon in the water and other nonsense--so we just never drank it. Even now I don't trust it.

If you dont trust the tap water then go spend some cash on a Brita filter or something but spending all that cash on bottled water is plain stupid.

If you dont trust the tap water then go spend some cash on a Brita filter or something but spending all that cash on bottled water is plain stupid.

You have to actually have to know what is in your water before you can determine if a cheap inline filter is going to make it drinkable. Brittas and the like are fine for removing most chlorine/chloramine (Britta scrubs about 75% of that according to the manufacturer) and lead (Britta scrubs 90+% of that). But Brittas and other cheap options do NOT remove pathogen cysts (resting stages), many microbes, or most of the industrial contaminants like THMs, VOCs, atrazine, benzine, MTBEs etc., so if that's where your home water problems lie you have to spend way more on remediating the problems. Radon and cadmium wouldn't be removed either, and I've seen various claims as to arsenic. The cheap filters can give a false sense of security because they are not up front about all the nasty stuff they DON'T remove.

MTBEs in particular are going to become an increasing headache, and they are going to very soon uncover a lot of groundwater contamination in the petroleum refining states. Those aquifers may be deemed unfit for human use in some already water-strapped states. It's no wonder the MTBEs are looking to make sure the limited liability provisions remain intact in the current ugliness known as the energy bill.

I'm sorry but anyone who would part with 1-3 dollars for a bottle of aquafina has their wires crossed.

Chernobyl housing is up to 5 times cheaper than neighboring areas still.

Quite a few people who actually choose to live there do so because they feel they don't have have their wires crossed. They think they're smarter than everyone else. The joke's on them and their progeny.

I do agree with you as far as those hilarious "bottle people".....Then again, if you got the money, I would imagine your and your family's HEALTH would be the FIRST thing to spend it on.....right?

Tex said it best.

how do you know for sure all this bottle water is as "pure" as it is claimed to be???...be funny if evian and aquafine turned out to be tap water...

you put anything in your body and you are taking a risk...but your choices eat and drink..or die

Excellent point. Which is why we spent the $$ and got a home system. All the water I drink comes out of my tap which is filtered.

Excellent point. Which is why we spent the $$ and got a home system. All the water I drink comes out of my tap which is filtered.

thats probably the way to go if this really worries you..spend money on a good filtration system...even if its a couple hundred bucks its worth it if it gives you peace of mind

thats probably the way to go if this really worries you..spend money on a good filtration system...even if its a couple hundred bucks its worth it if it gives you peace of mind

A couple hundred..? :o

I wish. But after seeing what was in the water, there was no way we weren't going to get it.

And FSJ.. there IS arsenic in the water. It's used to kill the micro-organisms that live in the pipes from Lake Michigan. All 4 companies that we had come out found it.. ironically, Public Works showed the highest level. :headshake

One other thing.. there is MORE chlorine in unfiltered drinking water than I use in my pool! Then they OD on the flouride to kill the smell.

Plus, the Government didn't get involved in testing until the early 80's so it wasn't that "out there". Over the years I think it's gotten worse to be honest with you. We're trashing this planet and stirring up s***.. which means more chemicals have to be used to "clean" it, and even more chemicals to cover up the smell of the cleaners. It's pretty frightening what is done to water to get it past the G'ment standards. And in case anyone didn't know.. the water that comes out of your garden hose DOES NOT meet regulations!! Nice isn't it? That water you fill your little kids pools with.. or take a swig from while cutting the lawn isn't much cleaner than Lake Michigan. Mmmm.. yummy, eh?  :puke

Steff, I believe it depends on where you live. Some areas have wells for the pools, garden, etc. and city water for the home use. Others, it's the same stuff coming in from the city's main line.

Steff, I believe it depends on where you live. Some areas have wells for the pools, garden, etc. and city water for the home use. Others, it's the same stuff coming in from the city's main line.

Here in the Chicagoland area it's all coming from the lake. The only water flushed (half assed filtered) is the water that comes from the individual towers. Unless you have a private well on your property (and I don't even want to think about the quality of THAT water.. :puke ) the water that comes out of residential hoses is from the lake.