ATA Commercial...

Soxbadger

At about 12:06 CST Espn aired an ATA commercial that was directed at Greg Maddux saying reasons he should join the Cubs and that there are cheap fairs from Chicago to LA.

If ATA would of just donated the money for the commercial to the Cubs, the Cubs probably could of signed Maddux and would of cut out "ATA" into the ivy for them.

Anyways just found it very strange to see a commercial airline endorsing a team and trying to convince a player to join...

SB

Why the hell is ESPN airing that commercial? Are they in on this too? This wet dream that ESPN has towards the Cubs getting to the world series has got to stop. You know ESPN wouldn't of broadcasted a blatantly biased commericial like that unless they were hoping Maddux joins the Flubs.

:fthecubs

Hypothetical situation here. Let's say ABC has the broadcast rights to this year's World Series. ESPN is owned by ABC. The powers that be at the network decide that having Maddux on the Cubs would increase ratings on regular season games involving the Cubs, which they coould turn into cash from selling commercial air time. Then, ABC also decides that having the Cubs in the Series would be a massive windfall of income due to astronomical ratings. Expecially if it's a Cub-RedSox Series. It would behoove them to possibly offer WGN, oh, say $5 million dollars for selected promo spots under the condition that they sign Maddux.

There have been more bizarre things done in the race for the almighty dollar.

Man conspiracy theories are running wild here.......

How about the concept that ATA paid for the spot, therefore ESPN is running it? Also understand that it may not have run nationally. Local cable companies have time slots throughout the day on ESPN and all channels for locally sold spots. I see Barons tv ads on ESPN during the summer as well as on TBS during Braves games. It's not like those spots are being seen all over the country.

The anti-Cub paranoia is laughable sometimes guys. Sometimes things are just what they seem and nothing else.

How about the concept that ATA paid for the spot, therefore ESPN is running it?  Also understand that it may not have run nationally.  Local cable companies have time slots throughout the day on ESPN and all channels for locally sold spots.  I see Barons tv ads on ESPN during the summer as well as on TBS during Braves games.  It's not like those spots are being seen all over the country.

The anti-Cub paranoia is laughable sometimes guys.  Sometimes things are just what they seem and nothing else.

While I don't buy into a conspiracy, I don't understand why ATA fell the need to do a spot pushing the Cubs either. :huh:

rex is right.  i worked for a cable company for a bit inserting local commercials into national television streams, and that was probably the case here.  espn probably had nothing to do with it.  i do think the commerical is a bit odd.  i can't say i've ever seen one like that.

That used to crack me up when I lived in Woodridge. Brian would come over and there would be a commercial for some local company/store and he would ask why is that being advertised nationally. I had to explain just what you said to him and he noticed it on his cable channels as well. :lol:

How about the concept that ATA paid for the spot, therefore ESPN is running it?  <clip>

The anti-Cub paranoia is laughable sometimes guys.  Sometimes things are just what they seem and nothing else.

Rex, Rex, Rex, Rex, if you are going to be a voice of sanity you may get banned...

:lol: :lol:

How about the concept that ATA paid for the spot, therefore ESPN is running it?  Also understand that it may not have run nationally.  Local cable companies have time slots throughout the day on ESPN and all channels for locally sold spots.  I see Barons tv ads on ESPN during the summer as well as on TBS during Braves games.  It's not like those spots are being seen all over the country.

A guy can't even have a little fun here! :o

I was hoping you were laying it thick on purpose Yas.....  just wasn't positive and I had to squash the conspiracy bug before others jumped on for a ride. :D

I was and you did. As I said, can't have any fun. I just wanted to stir things up a little. :D

If ATA Airlines REALLY wanted Maddux to come to Chicago, then they should guarantee that Britney Spears was the flight attendant. :D

Any of you who have seen her latest video know what I mean - coffee, tea, or ME - (giving you lap dances).

I wish I could afford first class seating. My flight attendants are always mean old women who need industrial strength Oil Of Olay. :lol:

If ATA Airlines REALLY wanted Maddux to come to Chicago, then they should guarantee that Britney Spears was the flight attendant. :D

Any of you who have seen her latest video know what I mean - coffee, tea, or ME - giving you lap dances). 

I wish I could afford first class seating.  My flight attendants are always mean old women who need industrial strength Oil Of Olay.    :lol:

I have had a couple of great-looking flight attendants in my day. If I wasn't the

twerpy pipsqueak that I am, I definitely would've tried to get phone numbers.