Any fantasy gurus here?

knightni

I claim somewhat ignorance here.

I am allowed 4 keepers here in my other fantasy baseball league.

I have Carlos Beltran and Magglio Ordonez. I also have Frank Thomas, Mark Buehrle, Bartolo Colon, Jose Guillen, Geoff Jenkins, Jeff Kent and Kevin Millwood.

other than being a homer and taking Frank and Mark... who else would be a viable option?

Thanks,

:cheers

Jeremy

I don't know if I'd go with any of those guys as keepers. None of them are irreplaceable, IMO. Colon wouldn't be a bad keeper, but I'd shy away from keeping pitchers unless it's a fantasy ace, the likes of a Prior, Schilling, Schmidt, or Gagne. Go out and find some guys that have the best chance of having decent to good years and are still young. Guys like Cabrera out of Florida, Maeur out of Minny, Blalock or Texeira from TEX, Aubrey Huff or Baldelli from TB, Podesnik from MIL, you get the idea..... guys that you can go and pick up, some of them perhaps not even drafted, who will be superstars in the next couple of years. Those are the guys I'd be looking to keep. I'd take Cabrera and Huff on my team for 2005 before I'd take Colon and Frank. Gotta look at the upside and future man, not just this season.

BTW, Buerhle is an awful fantasy pitcher, IMO. I'd see if you have anyone in your league that will buy into his name and trade them for another weak position of yours. Then go pick up a bombass middle reliever, like a Lidge or Soriano, that will get you 10-15 wins but with higher K totals, lower WHIP and ERA. Usually those middle relievers are available in every league unless you are using holds as a stat.

in fantasy you should consider positions where talent is weak...jeff kent for example...there is a good chance the other owners in your league will be hanging onto top quality 2nd baseman...so jeff kent's value to you should go up unless you are sure you can get a quality 2nd baseman....

if you league forces you to use a CF and not just any 3 outfielders then carlos beltran becomes a must keep imo..

out of your pitchers colon is your best option imo...

for this years draft i would concentrate early (my first 4 picks) on getting a catcher, ss ,2b . and cf..if you got 4 studs to cover those positions it becomes much easier in the draft to build around them in the future