Maddux to Return To Cubs

SoxAce

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another pitcher on the Scrubs for the Sox hitters to light up.  Yay!  :)

I agree, he gives up so many damn hits, and really, he's only a 5-6 inning pitcher now anyway. BTW, im sick of hearing this crap about how he's gonna help Wood, Prior, etc.... Does that mean that all these pitchers that he supposoly helped in Atlanta, didnt get any advice from Leo Mazzoni? Was his only role just sitting there and rocking back and forth on the bench.

Hopefully he gets rocked all year, i cant wait for the Sox/Cubs game where he pitches against us.

:fthecubs

I agree, he gives up so many damn hits, and really, he's only a 5-6 inning pitcher now anyway.  BTW, im sick of hearing this crap about how he's gonna help Wood, Prior, etc....  Does that mean that all these pitchers that he supposoly helped in Atlanta, didnt get any advice from Leo Mazzoni?  Was his only role just sitting there and rocking back and forth on the bench.

Hopefully he gets rocked all year, i cant wait for the Sox/Cubs game where he pitches against us.

:fthecubs

LOL...... you would be ecstatic if he were sigining with the White Sox tomorrow.

LOL......    you would be ecstatic if he were sigining with the White Sox tomorrow.

Rex would you really want him? I mean he is a National League pitcher and his 2nd half was ok, but his 1st half was awful. Then again looking at what we have as a #4 and 5 I wouldn't mind him. Not at 7-8 million a year for 2 years though.

If you have the money to spend why not. I would love to have Madux, just for MB and Garland. You can say not for 7 or 8 mil, but if your willing to have an actaul payroll like the Cubs, then why not.

Yeah good point. Especiall to help out Buehrle and Garland. It would be nice. I just don't have a good feeling about him. I think he is going to get rocked.

Not to wish ill will towards any of the Cubs, but I don't think they estimated what injuries can do to a club. Look at what happened to the Sox after 2000. Parque, Eldred, Wells, were all lost to injuries. The only saving grace to that pitching staff was that they found out their #5 pitcher ultimately could be their staff ace. If one of their pitchers get hurt, it could be a setback. 2 would be catastrophic. Like I said, no ill will towards them, but I hope they've taken that into account.

Whether you like it or not, your baseball intellect has got to be telling you that this is a very fortunate turn of events for the Cubs. Maddux didn't have a bad 1st half last year, he had a bad April. Very big difference. He's still a quality pitcher and a consumate professional. He's talented, smart, established, classy ... what negatives can you possibly see? His age? OK. Big deal. I'd take him for the Sox in heartbeat.

Whether you like it or not, your baseball intellect has got to be telling you that this is a very fortunate turn of events for the Cubs.  Maddux didn't have a bad 1st half last year, he had a bad April.  Very big difference. He's still a quality pitcher and a consumate professional.  He's talented, smart, established, classy ... what negatives can you possibly see?  His age? OK.  Big deal.  I'd take him for the Sox in heartbeat.

thanx for adding salt to our wounds :lolhitting :fthecubs

3yrs 24 million is a big time chance, but the Cubs can afford to give a bad contract. If Maddux leads them to the series this year and breaks down the next two years, it will be more then worth it to the Cubs and I think Maddux could make Prior, Wood, Zambrono, Clement and Cruz that much better.

his 2nd half was ok, but his 1st half was awful.

Sounds like Buerhle and I still want him on my team. :D

To answer the other question, yes I would want Maddux on my team, even at 7 or 8 mil per year for 2 or 3 years.

He may ( and I do mean "may" ) be slipping statistically, but he wins ballgames.

He makes the rotation deeper, he buys the Cubs time to develop some of their minor-league starters, and he affords them the chance to dump Juan Cruz ( rhymes with "lose" ) for a catcher if Mike Barrett is the flop I expect him to be.

This is a very good move for the Cubs, and whether or not the Sox rock Maddux in interleague play, the acquisition of Maddux makes the Cubs the CLEAR favorite in the NL Central, in my mind at least.

Whether you like it or not, your baseball intellect has got to be telling you that this is a very fortunate turn of events for the Cubs.  Maddux didn't have a bad 1st half last year, he had a bad April.  Very big difference. He's still a quality pitcher and a consumate professional.  He's talented, smart, established, classy ... what negatives can you possibly see?  His age? OK.  Big deal.  I'd take him for the Sox in heartbeat.

Key words bolded above.. ;)

3yrs 24 million is a big time chance, but the Cubs can afford to give a bad contract.  If Maddux leads them to the series this year and breaks down the next two years, it will be more then worth it to the Cubs and I think Maddux could make Prior, Wood, Zambrono, Clement and Cruz that much better.

3rd year is a $9mil option, supposedly.